12 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 8:16 PM by John T Smith

Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file

Doctor223

I successfully loaded elements and ran through some of the tuturial. No problem. It works.

I successfully made a video using my Sony AVCHD camera and was able to save to my desktop and watch it in Windows Media Player in hi def. No problem.

But when I opened a new project in elements it would not open the AVCHD file. It said something was missing.

So I converted the file to WMV and it worked, but the video quality is really poor.

What am I missing that is preventing Elements from reading the actual AVCHD file I already have saved on the desktop PC?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>It said something was missing... What am I missing

The first thing you are missing is the actual, complete, error message

Saying "something" is missing is really not enough information for anyone to help

• 2. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
            Doctor223 Level 1

The complete error message is:

File format not supported/One of the necessary components may not have been installed.

That's all it said. No other information or error codes.

Does that help?

• 3. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Doctor223

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer system is it running?

What did you set as your project preset for your new project that produced your video.

What are the properties of your source media? You say these have video compression of AVCHD but what is the rest of the information, such as frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive frame rate, file extension, etc.?

What did you select as the export for your file? What was the specific route with details of settings and what is the file extension of that export that you say plays back OK in the Windows Media Player. Here I am looking for the video and audio compression used, frame size, frame rate, file extension, etc.

If the AVCHD that you saved would not import back into Premiere Elements, how did you convert it to WMV? With Windows Live Movie Maker or something else? What settings did you use for this conversion?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements and are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Let us start here and then decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                Doctor223 Level 1

Thank you for your help.

I have Version 3.0 of Elements

I don't know what a project preset is.

I also don't know the properties of the source media. I just assumed it was basic or standard.

When I look at the properties on the file when it plays on Windows Media Player it says " AVCHD Video"

The Sony camera came with a program that gave me the ability to convert the AVCHD into WMV. It also allowed me to convert to MPEG 2, but Windows Media Player could not open that after I made the conversion.

I will check to see if I have the latest version of Quicktime installed, I probably do not.

I'm the only user and owner of the program so I assume I have Administrative privileges.

Wow, I'm shocked at your checklist. I'm a relatively intelligent guy, but how does the average person navigate though all that?!!! But I'm very greatful for any advice. I get the sense all I need is to download something and all should work fine. I really am not looking to do anything fancy other than add text scenes for titles and credits and edit down my raw videos.

Thank you,

Doc

• 5. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not 100% sure about this, but I don't think AVCHD support was added until version 9

Convert AVCHD to HDV http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605 will give a better edit file than WMV

• 6. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Doc

Your latest reply placed a whole difference perspective on your initial quesiton for me.

Bottom line: Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 does not support AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression. Premiere Elements did not support that format until Premiere Elements 7. So, if you want to work with your AVCHD file in Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2, you are going to have to convert it into something else other than AVCHD and in a format that Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 supports.

Apparently the something else you generated was this wmv file. We need to know how you converted it and with what properties other than just the .wmv file extension as well as the program that you used for the conversion. If there are problems converting with one method from AVCHD to the alternative format then you need to find another conversion route or upgrade to a version of Premiere Elements that does support.

You wrote:

When I look at the properties on the file when it plays on Windows Media Player it says " AVCHD Video"

Programs have an Import Files Supported List as well as an Export Files Support List. Those for Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 do not include AVCHD, video with that AVCHD video compression. I have heard stories about Premiere Elements 4 on Sony Vaio using a special Sony plug-in to work with AVCHD in version 4 that does not support AVCHD. Is that the case in your situation some how?

My advice would be to evaluate your wmv conversion or find another conversion method. It was often common practice to convert AVCHD (1920 x 1080) to MPEG2 1920 x 1080 to obtain a less resource demanding species as well as deal with AVCHD non compatibiiity issues in Premiere Elements versions early than 7.

If you supply further information about your conversion method, we will check it out to see if we can discover why the wmv from that did not work for you. If I recall, Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 supported HDV (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9). I do not recall if it supported the Full 1920 x 1080. I suspect not. So your issue may go to frame size/format as well as AVCHD video compression.

So lots of questions about that conversion frame size etc besides video and audio compression.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

AVCHD was not supported by Premiere Elements until version 7.

I just saw your post after I posted by latest post.

I have a lot of versions of Premiere Elements that I continue to use for troubleshooting purposes, but never had Premiere Elements 3. I will check it out, but I do not believe its support went beyond HDV. I do not think one can get even a MPEG2 1920 x 1080 into version 3 but I am not at all sure on that. I will check it out unless you have a reference that says otherwise.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith,

I have made some progress in confirming what Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 is expected to support in the way of HD.

It considers HDV a native format. That would be 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 where the 16:9 flag stretches the video to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

We know that it does not support the video compression AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) typically associated with full 1920 x 1080 16:9, but I suspect that it does not support full 1920 x 1080 16:9 even with MPEG2 compression.

I may have some old manuals around that might have the information sought.

ATR

• 9. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Doctor223

In all of these comments, I have not asked you if you have the Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Update issues for your Premiere Elements 3.0. That was also a must have along with the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer Premiere Elements 3.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

Let us focus on the conversion methods right now.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                            Doctor223 Level 1

ATR and John, I can't thank you enough for giving me this information. It's clear to me that, at the very least, my version of Elements is way too old. I'll just buy the most modern version available and suspect that will fix the problem.

The frustration associated with not knowing what the actual problem is is worse than the problem itself! But with both your help at least I have a handle on the problem and can address it effectively.

I will follow up on this thread when I receive my new program.

Thank you both again.

Doc

• 11. Re: Elements doesn't recognize Sony AVCHD file
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Doc

Thank you for the follow up.

Starting with the current version, Premiere Elements 11, there is a dramatic change in the Premiere Elements interface. Principles essentially remain the same, but a lot of changes, especially between version 3.0/3.0.2 and 11.

I would strongly encourage you to go the free 30 day tryout route from Adobe before any purchase to make sure that the program is compatiable with your computer environment and that the program meets your video editing/exporting needs.

If your Premiere Elements 11 is installed on a Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer it will be a 64 bit application which means that it can take advantage of the 64 bit resources as compared to a 32 bit application that is limited by maximum supported installed RAM of 4.0 GB (3.0 GB or less of that are typically available).

The following is a link to a thread that I wrote on Premiere Elements 11 First Look at another forum that I no longer visit or answer questions at

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73757

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR