5 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2016 7:52 AM by Royi A

Shortcut for switching between layer and layer mask?

Thomas Feiner Level 1

I've often been annoyed by the fact that that I need to go into the layer panel each time I need to switch between editing a layer and editing it's mask. Surely there must be a way to do this with a shortcut. I found a way to disable the layer mask in the shortcut menu, but this is not something I need to do that often. Switching between layer and layer mask, however, happens all the time - at least in my workflow.

• 1. Re: Shortcut for switching between layer and layer mask?
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

It depends on the version of photoshop, but for newer versions such as cs4- cs6 it should be

Cmd+\ and Cmd+2 (ctrl+\ and ctrl+2 on the PC).

For versions older than cs4

Cmd+\ and Cmd+~ (ctrl+\ and ctrl+~ on the PC).

(backslash and tilde keys)

• 2. Re: Shortcut for switching between layer and layer mask?
            Thomas Feiner Level 1

Thanks! Well, that's half a solution. I can do a ctrl + 2, but on my Swedish keyboard there doesn't seem to be a way to get back to the layer mask. Backslash on this keyboard layout is accessed by hitting alt gr + the key next to zero... If only this was an custom keyswitch assignable function!

• 3. Re: Shortcut for switching between layer and layer mask?
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

If your on the creative cloud perhaps you can download a swedish language version of photoshop cs6.

If not, maybe this script will work:

// =======================================================
              var idslct = charIDToTypeID( "slct" );
                  var desc10 = new ActionDescriptor();
                  var idnull = charIDToTypeID( "null" );
                      var ref5 = new ActionReference();
                      var idChnl = charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" );
                      var idChnl = charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" );
                      var idMsk = charIDToTypeID( "Msk " );
                      ref5.putEnumerated( idChnl, idChnl, idMsk );
                  desc10.putReference( idnull, ref5 );
              executeAction( idslct, desc10, DialogModes.NO );

Copy the above script and paste it into Adobe Extendscript Toolkit CS6 and then save the script to either

(you might have to run Adobe Extendscript Toolkit CS6 as an administrator if your on a windows system newer than xp)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets\Scripts

or

C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets\Scripts

depending on your system and/or with version of photoshop cs6 32 or 64 bit you want to use.

Untitled-2.png

Then start or restart photoshop cs6 and the script should be listed under File>Scripts and hopefully you can assign a keyboard shortcut to it

using Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts.

• 4. Re: Shortcut for switching between layer and layer mask?
                Thomas Feiner Level 1

Thank you! The script worked! So now, if I press ctrl + 2, I access the layer, and I assigned F2 to switch to the layer mask. Ideally I'd want to toggle back to the layer using F3, but it seems that Adobe won't allow that. The function of jumping back to the layer from it's mask  is called "target composite channel" and it's shortcut is supposed to be located under Panel Menus/Panel Options. But if you look for it there it's not even visible, so it's a locked/hidden shortcut. It's funny that Adobe should impose such heavy restrictions on custom keyboard shortcuts. You can't use Alt + key. Only Ctrl + key. And certain everyday functions are not possible to customize using shortcuts. As a day to day user you want to be able to streamline your workflow as much as possible.

So if anybody from Adobe is on this forum,,, you guys should look at the music program Reaper. I love how you can do everything with shortcuts of your choice there, and there's even a search function within the shortcut menu to get easy access to whatever it is that you want to address. No searching and scratching your head.

• 5. Re: Shortcut for switching between layer and layer mask?
                  Royi A Level 1

@R_Kelly,

Will you script switch between Mask and RGB back and forth or just from RGB to Mask?

Update:

On my Photoshop (CC 2015) the script only "Invert" the mask.

Thank You.