13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 11:34 PM by Harm Millaard

Last Words for an Early June Build

flbreen Level 1

I am planning to build a system with 64GB RAM and GTX 680 4GB Video Card.

An SSD for OS and SC6+ (from the cloud).

RAID Controller for 8 X 1TB drives

Mostly I would like a suggestion for a RAID controller for under $700.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling ACFZI30 74.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX  LGA2011 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory: 4 Units Total 64GB

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk 

Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: 8 Units 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card 

Case: Azza CSAZ-1000 ATX Full Tower Case 

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 

Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) 

Other: Card Reader usb 3.0 ($29.99)

Other: Card Reader Bracket ($4.99)

Other: areca ARC-1882I-MS PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Low Profile SATA / SAS RAID Controller Card

• 1. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Francis,

It looks like a very nice buid. Even though you said the limit for the raid controller is $ 700, I want to give you an alternative that is somewhat over budget.

The Areca ARC-1882I-MS LP is limited to 8 internal ports and has a 1 GB cache that can not be expanded. Newegg $ 640

The Areca ARC-1882IX-16 has 16 internal ports plus 4 external ports and has 1 GB cache, that can be exchanged for 2 or 4 GB cache. Newegg $ 799. BTW, funny that the 12 + 4 port version is more expensive, $ 859.

I offer this suggestion, even though it is more pricey, because of the extra ports and the expandable cache. If at some time in the future you may want to expand your array, only the 16 + 4 model offers that option, not the 8 port model. Yeah, it is around $ 150 more expensive, but it gives you room to grow.

Finally, if you decide for the 16+4 port model, make sure that the serial number on the box contains IX30 which means it is a Gen 3 card which supports PCIe-3.0, something not mentioned on the Newegg site. The same may apply to the LP model, so it could be LP30, although I'm not sure about this.

• 2. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
            JEShort01 Level 4

Nice build!

Several comments, one is pretty major!

• Your RAM and motherboard choices are incompatible. I would suggest sticking with the Sabertooth and going with G. Skill DDR3-1600 RAM F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL (8Gx8); you would gain very little more by going with the DDR-2133 speed. Alternatively, Asus does make several X79 boards that support the faster RAM (Rampage IV Extreme, P9X79 WS, etc.)
            • Any Areca card starting with ARC-1880 or ARC-1882 will be very fast. For an 8 drive build and hitting up against your budget, I would not dwell on which cache size, does it have PCI 3.0 support, etc. With 8 1TB drives your bottleneck for throughput will be the drives. I second Harm's suggestion to get a card with more ports that you need now. I do all of my backups now through Areca connected drives and it is scorching fast .
            • As USB 3.0 can be kind of flaky, I would sugget skipping the full-time mount (you list a card reader bracket) and plug / unplug your reader as required
            • Unless you are a big AE user, where caching on a SSD can help, you can save a bit by scaling back to a Samsung 128GB 840 Pro; one you remove the hibernate feature, you should have plenty of room for OS/Programs/etc

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Please enlighten me. Francis chose the G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3 @ 2133, you chose the same sticks @ 1600. Why would Francis choice be incompatible and your choice compatible?

• 4. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                JEShort01 Level 4

Harm,

Asus's Sabertooth X79 m/b does not support 2133 speed RAM and G Skill's RAM configurator page does not show any suggested 2133 RAM choices.

G Skill's F3-17000CL11Q2-32GBZL is the part number for their 2133 sticks, so no that is a different p/n from the 1600 MHz speed RAM I suggested above.

If you were going by the "GBZL" portion of G Skills p/n as being the same RAM, I think (but am not 100% sure) that the GBZL designation on both part numbers indicates they use the same RAM chips on the RAM sticks, however the XMP codes to allow your motherboard to set up all the timings would be different. Sidebar: I'm sure that would be OK for Eric, but not for the masses!

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                  flbreen Level 1

Thanks for the great specs.

I have attempted to adjust my parts list as suggested.

I have a few questions.

How do you do backups using your RAID controller?

I was planning to do backups of raw footage using my WD Passport and its USB3 port.

I have an old Dell with a card reader built in and it is very convenient to it that way rather than fumbling with a card reader attached to a USB2 connection on my current rig.

Would it be OK to go with an installed USB2 card reader?

Could you check out my PCPartsList to see if I am compling with your specs?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/flbreen/saved/11u8

• 6. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding your latest build list...

• Thanks for doing it on PartsPicker (gotta love their site, sure makes build lists more convenient)
                    • Boy has RAM jumped up in one month! The Part Picker price trend shows that the 64GB you had spec'd was $375 in March and is up to $490 today!!!

So, change of plans... go with 32GB (p/n F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL) $234.99 at Newegg (saves $255). I found your web site and it does not look like you are doing any After Effects and 32GB will be all you need for video and photo. Also, staying with the 4x8GB configuration (8GB sticks) will provide for upgrade potential down the road if the need ever arises.
                    • $125 is a great price on the 128GB 840 pro; buy it fast, street price has been running around $139 for that VERY popular model
                    • Good price on the ES 1TB's!!! (nice)
                    • Put the RAM savings towards the Newegg open box ARC-1882IX-16 Areca card for $799; do it fast, they only have one at this price. For only $180 over the 8-port ARC-1882i, this card adds 12 additional ports (16 internal + 4 external). VERY useful and the SFF-8088 external connection can be handy for connecting SATA, eSATA, or a Sans Digital TowerRAID enclosure for backups, migration, etc. I hope you are comfortable with Newegg open-box, this is a killer price. (BTW that's how I purchased my Areca cards )

Regarding backups using my RAID...

• Turn off PC
                    • Put 5 drives in SuperMicro hot-swap cage, or 4 drives in Sans Digital TowerRAID enclosure connected via SFF-8088, depending on which RAID 5 backup set I am archiving to
                    • Boot PC, backup to drives, turn PC off
                    • Remove drives and reboot

For me backing up to a RAID set is all about speed and capacity. I have a 1TB Passport and it is glacial by comparison.

I use ShadowProtect (Acronics, Ghost competitor) to image my boot/programs C: drive to my storage RAID and then Beyond Compare to archive files from my storage RAID to the backup set. Beyond Compare is not real "backup" software, but I much prefer the workflow vs. proper backup solutions for my needs - and yes, I have used real backup software before.

Regards,

Jim

• 7. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                      flbreen Level 1

I should but I don't use AE because I am too old or stupid  to learn it but I do use Pr CS6 constantly and I am disappointed with its performance on my 3 year old editing rig that I build based on a larts list I found on this forum back then. I am now editing exclusively Canon MXF video files and it works well with a single layer of video but with 2 layers I suffer with what I call not smooth review. What I need in this new machine is smooth review with multiple layers of MXF video.

I started buying parts but I want to check on the RAM vs GPU.

If I go with 32GB RAM Harm suggested that I do not need the GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card. I can go with the 670.

If the 640 adds nothing to the smooth review then I will happily save the money.

• 8. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                        Marino215

If I may chime in here I'd like to say it seems like you have a good idea on what you need. Solid build, with all the wonderful advise and technical assistance we get from so many great members of this forum before you make any other decisions try to get some advice from Eric Bowman from ADK.  I made the mistake of going it alone and did my own build with similar specs and if it wasn't for Eric setting me straight I'd still be banging my head against my desk.  They build and are testing the latest components everyday.   I can say with confidence they pretty much narrowed down all the latest hardware and understand the strengths and weakness and what goes with what and how this shield be.  i know I sound like a salesmen, but I don't work for ADK and surely there's other qualified builders here, I'm just talking first hand knowledge by working with directly via paid consulting.  It's pretty reasonable too I might add and certainly worth the price of admission alone.  My machine is running like a tank.  I have a p9x79 pro, i73930k, 32GB  Crucial ballistic tactical memory, 240GB crucial m SSD, gtx 670 4GB (about to add another) Lsi 9271 raid controller and a 6- 2TB raid 6 all WD re4.  Eric tuned my machine, built the raid and set the RAM up to slightly over clock with the most stable settings.  I'm planing on adding 2-960GB SSDs this summer for 2k and hopefully 4k editing.  Of course I'll go by ADK as well as this forums recommendations. I say all the best to you and a great big thanks to everyone here.  Since purchasing a new camera and getting the system built and RELIABLE this forum has been an invaluable resource.  You guys are all great.         

• 9. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                          Marino215 Level 1

P.S.   As for my back up I just use an external usb 3.0 2-TB G drive that sits on my desk.  It works great, they're pretty inexpensive and I can keep adding them if I need.  Thanks again 

• 10. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                            flbreen Level 1

I have assembled the PC that I specified here with the smaller 125 GB SSD  for the W8 and the Adobe applications.

After installing W8 I have only 40GB left on the SSD.

I plan to use Pr, En, Ps, and Audition from the new cloud system.

Am I going to have enough space?

• 11. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/final-results?showall=&start=3

and turn off hibernation.

• 12. Re: Last Words for an Early June Build
                                flbreen Level 1

I removed the 'hiberfil.sys' file using the "powercfg.exe -h off"command

I reduced the pagefile.sys by changing the virtual memory to 1GB.

This gives me 96GB of free space on my SSD.

Am I ready to install Premiere Pro?

PC Details.PNG