3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2007 9:37 AM by mrfunkaster

Bug in charting?

mrfunkaster
      When trying the new flex 3 (with charting), I get this error *sometimes* when updating the data of a series:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
      at mx.charts.effects.effectClasses::SeriesSlideInstance/play()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\p rojects\datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\effects\effectClasses\SeriesSlideInstance.as:202]
      at mx.effects::EffectInstance/startEffect()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta2\sdk\frameworks\projects\fram ework\src\mx\effects\EffectInstance.as:574]
      at mx.effects.effectClasses::ParallelInstance/play()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta2\sdk\frameworks\proj ects\framework\src\mx\effects\effectClasses\ParallelInstance.as:197]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::ChartBase/advanceEffectState()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projec ts\datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\ChartBase.as:2134]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::CartesianChart/updateDisplayList()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\pr ojects\datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\CartesianChart.as:1351]
      at mx.core::UIComponent/validateDisplayList()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta2\sdk\frameworks\projects\fr amework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:6096]
      at mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta2\sdk\frameworks\proje cts\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:600]
      at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta2\sdk\frameworks\pro jects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:673]
      at Function/ http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
      at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta2\sdk\frameworks\projects\f ramework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8338]
      at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta2\sdk\frameworks\projects\fr amework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8281]

This happens at random intervals when reloading the data. Attached is the source code of my demo application.
      I also got a null pointer exception when setting the "canDropLabel" property of the verticalAxis...
      Any idea of why this is happening?

• 1. Re: Bug in charting?
          mrfunkaster Level 1
          I found what could be the problem, though it still seems like a bug to me. Sometimes (also random), the line that connects two points in the lineSeries is not drawn. If I reload the graph, with *the exact same data*, the line is drawn...
          Is this a known bug in Flex 3?
          • 2. Re: Bug in charting?
            Ajit_Gosavi
            the code snippet doesnt seem to work when i run the file i get
            [RPC Fault faultString="HTTP request error" faultCode="Server.Error.Request" faultDetail="Error: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2032: Stream Error. URL: /~rolando/data.cgi"]. URL: /~rolando/data.cgi"]
            at mx.rpc::AbstractInvoker/ http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::faultHandler()[E:\dev\flex\sdk\frameworks\proj ects\rpc\src\mx\rpc\AbstractInvoker.as:223
            at mx.rpc::Responder/fault()[E:\dev\flex\sdk\frameworks\projects\rpc\src\mx\rpc\Responder.as :56]
            at mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/fault()[E:\dev\flex\sdk\frameworks\projects\rpc\src\mx\rpc\AsyncRequ est.as:110]
            at DirectHTTPMessageResponder/errorHandler()[E:\dev\flex\sdk\frameworks\projects\rpc\src\mx\ messaging\channels\DirectHTTPChannel.as:349]
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
            at flash.net::URLLoader/redirectEvent()

Looks like this is because relative path in url of http service?
            url="/~rolando/data.cgi" do i need data.cgi in my project? Can you please host that as well.
            • 3. Re: Bug in charting?
              mrfunkaster Level 1
              this is just a cgi that dumps some random data (xml formatted), you could use something like the xml below, and host it somewhere (/data.xml, for instance)