7 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 9:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources

a-adine

I'm new to Premiere Elements and before I even begin my first project, I'm stumped by setting the 'project settings'.  I have video from various sources - the old camcorder, my iphone and now a new camcorder, and I'm wanting to use them all.  What do I chose for project settings?  Is it even possible to do this?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources
          A.T. Romano Level 7

a-adine

Premiere Elements (any version) allows for one project preset. So, when you have a variety of formats to incorporate into a project, you need to set priorities.

The project preset (new project dialog) for each program directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor from which to edit. And, the properties of the source media should match the project preset description to avoid black border and related aspect ratio issues.

If you set the project up with regard to one format/sizing, there is an opportunity in the program to scale the other formats to fill that Edit Mode Monitor space for editing and to avoid black borders. Typically scaling down is preferred to scaling up, but often one can get away with scaling up, getting fairly acceptable results.

If you post some details of your video properties, we all can offer comments about the appropriate project preset choices for interlaced and progressive video and other.

We will be watching for further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also note that the program is much more versatile in version 11 and you can mix several video types in the same project with usually excellent results.

If you're going to work with more than one format of video, it's well worth the price of an upgrade for this feature alone.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Could you please elaborate a little on how so for

the program is much more versatile in version 11 and you can mix several video types in the same project with usually excellent results.

a-adine does not say what version of Premiere Elements or computer operating system is involved, nonetheless, I have not seen major "cannot do" with prior versions in this regard. Excellent results also.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I think, in the topic title, he says he's using version 9. And, at least in my experience, versions prior to 11 do not mix formats well.

I've mixed half a dozen formats in version 11 as an experiment, though, and the programs conforms them all very nicely.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Oops. Missed the Premiere Elements version in the Title when I posted my comment to you.

In my case, the major problem that I had with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, besides the DVD Menu replacement background disappearances, was the display card issue that evolved into many threads/posts about updating the video card driver and deleting the BadDrivers.txt file.

But never ran into a problem with a mixed Timeline in version 9.0/9.0.1 or other, given that my video formats were supported by the program.

It is my impression that the Premiere Elements 11 new setup for the program automatically setting the project preset based on first clip to Timeline  (also coupled with its different default than earlier version) complicates the matter of mixed Timeline and other related considerations.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated sharing experiences on the topic.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources
                    a-adine Level 1

Thanks for your help!  I'll look into an upgrade to 11 and keep you posted when I start my project.  Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - project settings, various sources
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

a-adine,

Please do keep us updated, and also please post of any issues that you encounter.

My experiences with mixed media sources is a bit more limited, than either SG's, or ATR's. I started video-editing when no program did a good job of handling mixed media sources, so my workflow was to always convert the odd-formats/CODEC's, to a common one, say NTSC DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio @ 29.97 FPS, for SD Projects. I still carry that workflow over, when handed odd spec. source files. Also, as many are formats/CODEC's like DivX, or WMV, converting is often the only way to get things editing properly and smoothly.

Many users have echoed SG's comments on the relative ease of mixing source files in a PrE 11 Project, but I have not put it to the test. Even PrE's "big-brother," PrPro struggled with mixed source media, until about CS 5.0, and it got better through CS 6. Now, it does rely on the GPU in many cases, but at last, users are fairly freely mixing media w/o any conversion. Things seem to be getting better and better.

Good luck,

Hunt