37 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 2:05 PM by vjwatcher

Copy a clip from one project to another

ruiz525

Hello

I want to use a clip that I have modifyed to another new project. I tried with copy/past, but they are not transfered to the new project.

Thanks anticipated

Roberto

• 1. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

As I recall you are working with Premiere Elements 10 Windows. Is that correct? If so, you have at least two choices:

a. Export the clip to a file (type, appropriate for your projects) saved to the computer hard drive and then import that file into the second project.

or

b. Use the program ClipMate.

http://www.thornsoft.com/clipmate7.htm

Here is the story with ClipMate. It will work great with your Premiere Elements 10 Windows for the copy/paste transfer between projects. It also works great with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and 9. There is a problem of the copy/paste transfers of transitions when one goes to use it in Premiere Elements 11 and problem of the copy/paste transfers of audio and transitions for versions earlier than Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

I can post a very detailed how to for the use of ClipMate for your Premiere Elements 10 projects if you request it.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
            ruiz525 Level 1

Thanks ATR...

Yes I have PE 10.0 but also PE 11.0 This project has been done with PE 11.0

Yes I tried opcion "a" but I like the "b"

I want to use ClipMate and I don´t care audio, so I can delete it. In this case could work ClipMate? What you think?

Regards

Roberto

• 3. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For what you're trying to do, Clip Mate is the perfect solution.

• 4. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ruiz525

Thanks for the follow up.

Do you want me to round up and post the step by step for ClipMate and Premiere Elements 11? Even with the same ClipMate version, some steps are a little different than those if you were using ClipMate with earlier versions of Premiere Elements 11.

Just let me know if you need the detailed steps of what worked for me with regard to ClipMate and Copy/Paste between Premiere Elements 11 projects.

ATR

• 5. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                  ruiz525 Level 1

Well if you can, yes!

Based on this I could decide if this is what I want and could buy the app since I could do it in several ways.

Look this little example of what I want:

I did this aerial video that consists of 4 clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6c4fmp4lks

(since the original clips have the RC proppeller sound, I don´t care)

I want to use for example the clip that shows the zoom test and post it in another project.

Regards

Roberto

• 6. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

I will try to have the write up posted before the end of today.

How many tracks are involved in section of the Timeline that you want for this ClipMate copy/paste into another project? Does the second project have the same project settings as the first?

ATR

• 7. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                      ruiz525 Level 1

Great

Only one at a time or maybe 4.

Not always the second project has the same settings...

Regards

• 8. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ruiz525

My write up on the use of ClipMate for copy/paste insert from one Premiere Elements project to another is written up. And, it seemed too long to post in your thread. Because of its length, I have posted it to my Premiere Elements blog. I entered there just now. It is titled "PE: Clip Mate Copy/Paste Between Projects"

http://atr935.blogspot.com/

If you need any clarification on anything that I have written, please do not hesitate to ask.

You should get good results with Premiere Elements 10, 9.0/9.0.1, and 8.0/8.0.1 using the How To. The How To will also be good for Premiere Elements 11 if transitions are not involved in the copy/paste insert between the two Premiere Elements projects.

a. It seems to work for multi tracks and going from one project to another even if the project presets are different (but I do not see it doing any resizing in the process)

b. Special considerations need to be given to the process when the content from the Narration Track and Soundtrack are involved. They copy/paste insert great, but they will not paste insert into the Narration Track or Soundtrack of the second project. They end up going to one of the upper audio tracks. That is OK unless there is other content that is there competing for the location.

Please let us know if ClipMate worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ruiz525 wrote:

Hello

I want to use a clip that I have modifyed to another new project. I tried with copy/past, but they are not transfered to the new project.

Thanks anticipated

Roberto

Export the clip as an avi with no codec (uncompressed) or a lossless codec like Lagarith.

Then you can use the clip in any project you want and you do not need to keep the original project.

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

• 10. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ruiz525,

I second Ann's recommendation. When creating files as intermediates, I use either the Lagarith Lossless, or the UT (also lossless) CODEC's, and they work perfectly.

In similar instances, I often create Intros, or Outros, to be used in many other Projects, and the Lossless CODEC files are great.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                              ruiz525 Level 1

Thanks ATR for the time spent, and also Ann / Bill... I will review on weekend and will let know my comments

Regards

Roberto

• 12. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                oldevhs Level 1

Ann; Hunt

Your suggestion to export the clip as an .avi with no codec sounds interesting, but I'm not sure exactly which "Share" options I should choose in PE 10.

Can you be a bit more specific regarding the choices.

I believe I should choose:

1. Start a New Share = Computer
                                2. AVI  (from the scrolling list of choices)
                                3. Presets = Microsoft AVI ???
                                4. Advanced
                                5. Video Codec
                                6. None (from drop-down list)

If this is not what you meant, please clarify.

• 13. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

oldevhs,

That will result in an AVI [Uncompressed], which should work fine.

I like the Lagarith, or the UT Lossless CODEC's, as the resultant files are smaller than AVI [Uncompressed] (really big honking files, and they can choke some computers), but are visually lossless.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another

If you install the Lagarith codec it will look something like this:

You also need to set the basic settings.

lagarith.png

• 15. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                      oldevhs Level 1

Ann, Hunt:

Thank you

• 16. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Great news that you and Ann have helped oldevhs work through to oldevhs's goals. Great job.

But, I am wondering how Roberto who started this thread is progressing to his goals and what has worked for him.

Hoping Roberto has the chance to update us on his results.

ATR

• 18. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

That sort of thing always bothers me too.

I hope that they follow along, as others join in with "I have the same problem," and that the solutions work for them too. Still, it's always nice to know how they fared.

Good luck to them,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                              ruiz525 Level 1

Wow with all the help I could see...

I have been working all this weekend in the whole project and no yet in the details, but as far as I can see I have a lot to do/read/practice in regards of the comments and help received.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN AND WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

• 20. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                DeJacqueline

I am trying to do the same thing but the clipmate sounds too confusing.  Can you explain how to export a clip? I am using Adobe PE 11.

• 21. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DeJacqueline

Hopefully Ann Bens and Hunt will see your post and advise you as to their recommendation on a source for the Lagarith Codec to be used for the export that they suggest. According to their scheme, you need to download and install the Lagrith Codec so that it is available in Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets: = Microsoft AVI, Then See Advanced Button/Video Tab. Please refer to Ann Bens screenshot of her Export Settings dialog for her export in post #14 of this thread. Note that it has PAL settings. So, if you are working in NTSC, then adjust your settings accordingly for frame rate and any other project settings that would be appropriate to your rather than her project.

ATR

• 22. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                    ruiz525 Level 1

Comming back from hospital and returning to work.Sorry if I didn´t respond back on time.

ATR

Thanks for the time spent writting at your blog. Super detailed analysis.

Then I tried Ann/Hunt sugestion:

ANN HUNT

I installed as per screen shot and doing the Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets: = Microsoft AVI, Then See Advanced Button/Video Tab

This last option worked preaty good. This is the one I am using.

COMMENT FOR NEW USERS LIKE ME: Before you "Publish+Share", you need to split/cut from the current project those parts you don´t want, so just leave the part that is going to be pasted in the new project.

Well guys, one again THANKS FOR THE HELP RECEIVED AND SORRY FOR THE LATE RESPOND.

Roberto

• 23. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

Hope you are having a speedy recovery. Do not overdo it at home or at work.

Thanks for looking at all the possibilities for what you want to do for your Premiere Elements projects and especially for your first hand observations that you are sharing with all.

Regarding what you wrote:

COMMENT FOR NEW USERS LIKE ME: Before you "Publish+Share", you need to split/cut from the current project those parts you don´t want, so just leave the part that is going to be pasted in the new project.

One can selectively export a Timeline segment by positioning the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar so that they just span the segment that you want to export. But the detail to get this to work is in the export settings...put a check mark next to the option "Share Work Area Bar Only" in the export area before you hit Save.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 24. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                        ruiz525 Level 1

Perfect I will tray,and thanks for your wishes...

• 25. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                          fishalot

Is there a way to do this on a Mac?

I too have a few different projects that I want to combine, I didnt realise I couldnt cut and paste

• 26. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another

Yes use QT with the animation codec.

• 27. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

fishalot

The ClipMate program that I had described is a Windows Only program and does work in Windows except for the copy/paste insert related to transitions.

Hunt, Ann Bens, others seem to prefer exporting the Timeline as a file (in Windows environment) from one project to another. The file they suggest is Lagarith.avi.

Since you are working in a Mac computer environment, I would suggest a H.264.mov file for this purpose. But, you realize that with this approach you are dealing with a file from project to project and not with individual components of the Timeline from project to project. Perhaps Hunt and Ann Bens will have additional thoughts on that matter.

Back in 2009 elsewhere I was involved in a thread posted by a Premiere Element 9.0/9.0.1 Mac user who asked the copying/pasting between projects question. Not having a Mac computer, I have never tried what worked for him, but you may want to check it out even at this much later date.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67329

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann Bens

Could you mention the advantage of using the animation codec for the .mov file versus H.264.mov in this question involving Premiere Elements 11 Mac/Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime?

Thanks.

ATR

• 29. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

When Exporting/Sharing/Publishing an intermediate file, I study what I have, and what I will later want to do. It can be a bit like peering into a "crystal ball," but I find two major considerations, that can direct me:

1. If I will want to additionally edit the intermediate file, I will edit very loosely in PrE, and maybe even place a bright green, or red Color Matte (about 01 sec/30 Frames) between the loosely edited Clips, so I can spot them easily, when Imported into a new Project, and just Cut them out, when I Trim those Clips. This gives me adequate Handles, for when I later add Transitions.
                                                                  2. Or, I edit the initial Project's Timeline very tightly, doing all Trimming, and adding any Transitions there. Then, I Import that intermediate of the tighly-edited Timeline into the New Project, to say add overlay Titles, or maybe a soundtrack.

Just the things that guide me, on making the decisions, before outputting the intermediate file.

For the Mac, two intermediate CODEC's, that get a lot of positive review are the ProRez 4.2.2, and AVID's DNxHD. The AVID CODEC will also work for a PC, if installed. Digital Intermediates (DI) are becoming more and more popular, as tapeless capture becomes the most viable means of recording.

Personally, Lagarith and UT files work so well, that I have not investigated other options that much.

Hunt

• 30. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for the reply. But that was not the nature of my inquiry directed to Ann Bens. I was not looking for generalizations in this instance.

I was curious as to her choice of Animation Codec rather than a H.264 Codec in this specific situation of Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime in this copying/pasting between two different Premiere Elements 11 projects on the Mac computer.

ATR.

• 31. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry.

I did not pick up on the specificity of the question.

Personally, I deal with the Animation CODEC in MOV wrappers, very often, but in the other direction. I use several 3D artists for various parts of Projects. They are mostly on Mac's. I specify that their product come to me in MOV Animation, as those files are lovely, and always work on my PC's.

Since I am usually not outputting to a Mac (but receiving from a Mac), I have not explored the possible uses of H.264 vs MOV Animation - sorry.

Maybe Ann will drop by, and can share her expriences.

Hunt

• 32. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                        DeJacqueline Level 1

This is what I finally did - delete all the clips that I did not want in my second movie.  Then I saved it as something else.  Not a very pretty way of doing it but I couldn't figure out anything else.

• 33. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                          fishalot Level 1

Ann Bens

do you mean the following:

Quicktime, HD 1080i 25, h.264, aac 48hz

This is the only hd option under Quicktime

Many thanks

• 34. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

fishalot

Ann Bens should be along shortly. Until she returns here is something for you to check out.

Can we assume that you are working in PAL setup?  Since I do not know what version of Premiere Elements that you are using, I will assume version 11 and offer the following Premiere Elements 11 Windows screenshot (I do not have a Mac)...So I will start with the route at the QuickTime point..

Click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset that you select. You can change the preset description under the Advanced Button. Under the Video Tab you can set for the Animation Codec (or others, have had suggested H.264) and select your other export settings (such as frame size, etc.) 

movexport.jpg

ATR

• 35. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                              Black-White-Night

Hello Ann and Hunt,

When I have a challenge in Premiere Elements I first do some research. This is to say I found your input valuable concerning reusing a clip in another project!

As your words were written in 2013, is there today 2016 something to add to this hot tip?

A valuable tip. Thanks for sharing it.

Ann Bens:

ruiz525 wrote:

I want to use a clip that I have modifyed to another new project.

Export the clip as an avi with no codec (uncompressed) or a lossless codec like Lagarith.

Then you can use the clip in any project you want and you do not need to keep the original project.

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

• 36. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                                Black-White-Night Level 1

Hello Hunt,

I was looking for creating a reusable solution for intros and outros, and found yours here.

I appreciate it.

the_wine_snob:

When creating files as intermediates, I use either the Lagarith Lossless, or the UT (also lossless) CODEC's, and they work perfectly.

In similar instances, I often create Intros, or Outros, to be used in many other Projects, and the Lossless CODEC files are great.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 37. Re: Copy a clip from one project to another
                                                                                  vjwatcher

Mar 21, 2016 - I am also having the same problem using Adobe Premier Elements 11.

I cannot figure out how to simply save a clip from one project and use it in another project.

I appreciate all the people chiming in with tips, but it is all gobbledegook.

I have an existing project, and want to copy or move a clip from a second project to it, and there is no intuitive way to do so.   As a former business software application developer with 8 years experience, I get really frustrated at the techie approach of Elements with no context sensitive help, and now, you can't even find a Elements 11 help file, just a quagmire of help for all the versions. 

In a PE11 project, why can't I just save as a clip to a video file format that matches the one I just loaded and saved as a project?  This forum discussion is full of gobbledegook and no plain english discussions.   You talk about "export" but there is no EXPORT or Import function.  There is no SAVE or SAVE as for a project clip to a file like mpeg.    Postings discuss a Lagerith codec, and I even installed it but nothing is different and there is no "lossless" choice.  Postings talk about Codec but there is no such label so I have no idea where they are.  After all the discussion about exporting as an AVI  (never once saying use "Publish & Share"), I found that an AVI choice was buried out of sight in a menu with a tiny slider bar that was not obvious.  

This is why I hate video editing and Adobe's poor user interface.   The corporations I worked for would never allow such vague terminology and lack of user context help.

So I finally went to Publish&Share/AVI/MIcrosoft AVI.    I never knew what happened to the acclaimed Lagerith "codec"

Clearly, the designers of this software never designed for non-techies who are power users.

I am about to return to simple Microsoft Movie Maker.

Does anyone have a CLEAR description to answer the simple question "How to copy a clip from one PE11 project to another project without needing 15 clicks and 2 hours of online research"?  Please make sure the text uses the exact terms shown on the workspace and not some other term like export, etc that is NOT part of the menu system.