6 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 10:19 AM by suenews

Duplex printing problems in IDCS6 on Mac Mountain Lion

suenews

Why does my IDCS6 document print duplex EXCEPT for the final 2 pages, which print out as singles? This happens sometimes with newly created documents (from a template), but always with legacy docs. We just upgraded from IDCS4 and Mac Leopard.

• 1. Re: Duplex printing problems in IDCS6 on Mac Mountain Lion
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Upgraded how? New computers? In place upgrade of O/S? Migration Assistant?

Bob

• 2. Re: Duplex printing problems in IDCS6 on Mac Mountain Lion
            suenews Level 1

Our IT dept. got us new Mac Minis (we had been using non-intel power macs) and all new software, so nothing carried over from our old programs. I don't think they used Migration Assistant.  They did not move any of the older versions of our programs onto out new computers. We are still using the same HP 9050 printer.

We do have servers where all of our documents are kept, and a work folder where we can keep current projects and some our own stuff. I saved templates and some presets, but it was hard for me to find where they were kept on the old system, and even harder to find where presets live on the new system.

Thanks for trying to help -- I'm the only one working in InDesign. Everyone else is still on Quark.

• 3. Re: Duplex printing problems in IDCS6 on Mac Mountain Lion

Good. We've eliminated a lot of the reasons for problems.

Next step. Export a PDF and try printing that from Acrobat. Printing has

never been ID's strong suit and this will test whether it's the print

driver or ID.

Bob

• 4. Re: Duplex printing problems in IDCS6 on Mac Mountain Lion
                suenews Level 1

I exported the PDF as High Quality print and it printed correctly.

• 5. Re: Duplex printing problems in IDCS6 on Mac Mountain Lion

Well then, there you go. Can't really help with the ID issue but at

least you have a way to get it printed.

FWIW, I never print directly from InDesign.

Bob

• 6. Re: Duplex printing problems in IDCS6 on Mac Mountain Lion
                    suenews Level 1

I thought you might say that. That works when printing the entire document, but when I need to print a range of pages, I get the same behavior.

Say I have a 20 page document that I have printed and sent to proofing for a layout check. They mark up a couple of non-contigious pages and I have to correct them and print out those pages for them. What usually happens then is that the last page in each range comes out non-duplex with a blank after it. (Say I am correcting something on pgs 10 and 11. If I print the range 9-12, I might get 9 and 10 back-to-back, but then 11 and 12 as single pages and 12 might be missing it's text box.)

So I CAN make a new PDF each time I make corrections and print out only the page I need, but that takes time, and I was hoping for a total fix, not just a work-around. (What can I say, I work in the production department. They like us to save time and paper.)

Our final product IS printed from PDF (the workflow is to send it through PlanetWatch), but my part of the process is to print revisions duplex on our department printer. Thank you for your time and input, though. Maybe someone else who has had this same problem will see this and make a suggestion.