8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 5:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem with Beat Marker

David F Dornbusch

I am using Premier Elements 9 and in the middle of editing clips in the Timeline the beat marker stopped moving. How do I fix it?

• 1. Re: Problem with Beat Marker
          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Welcome to the forum.

First, what OS are you using?

Second, can you give us the details of your computer, the Project Preset being used, and the details of the source material?

Third, by "beat marker," are you referring to the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playback Head - that little symbol, with the Edit Line attached)?

Fourth, exactly what are you doing, when this "beat marker" stops?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem with Beat Marker
            David F Dornbusch Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. I am using Windows 8 on a Dell Sudio Desktop. The source material are.MOV clips from a Canon 5D MK II. I am fairly new to video editing so sorry about mis-naming the CTI which seems to be the edit line with triangle on top that moves when you are playing your clips. You can manually move the the line to edit single frames and go back and forth to different clips on your timeline. I have made a few videos and never had this problem. Please let me know if you need any more info. Thanks

• 3. Re: Problem with Beat Marker
              A.T. Romano Level 7

David F. Dornbusch

Just a quick question or two.

Do you have this problem if you start a new project?

Do you have this problem if you restart the computer and open Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 to the existing project or a newly created one?

Do you have the 9.0.1 Update installed?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with Beat Marker

Hi Bill,

I fixed the problem by re-booting the software. Voila!

• 5. Re: Problem with Beat Marker

Thanks ATR!

See my reply to Bill. It's working fine now.

• 6. Re: Problem with Beat Marker
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

That is great news!

I have been working with PrE 11 for some time now, on an older laptop. It is still running XP-Pro SP3, so is 32-bit, with that version of PrE 11. I have also run into the "end-of-life" for my nVidia video driver, unless I change the OS. Now, and with that said, I have experienced several lags with the CTI, and also several instances where the Spacebar will not start the Timeline's playback, even when I know that it has focus.

Because of my older hardware, and one known issue with my video driver, I hesitate to complain about the CTI performance (and a few other issues), as it might not be related to PrE 11, but just to the hardware.

Glad that rebooting got you up and editing. Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have my new super laptop, but have not had time to set it up, install the 64-bit PrE 11 on it, and test with a new, killer nVidia card. When I can block off a couple of days, I will do so, and then report whether I encounter such "glitches" with the new hardware.

• 7. Re: Problem with Beat Marker
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

You caught my attention with your mention of "killer nVidia card".

I can see the advantage of Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer to give you the 64 bit application which can enjoy more computer resources. Great to get those larger projects taken to completion successfully consistently. But I do not see what advantage there is in a "killer nVidia card" for Premiere Elements 11. Premiere Pro CS6 OK, but Premiere Elements 11?

You have written about that distinction between Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro in the past. Could you clarify?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problem with Beat Marker
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are correct that more than a middle-of-the-road, current card w/ ~ 1GB VRAM and an updated driver would be just fine for PrE.

However, the Adobe Production Suite is my main group of programs. With PrPro CS 6, Photoshop CS 6 and After Effects CS 6, the video card does make a big difference, due to MPE and CUDA support.

In my case, it is not for PrE, and PrE will probably never know that it's there, so long as the driver is updated.

I went with similar on my workstation, some time back, to accommodate the CS 5.5 Production Suite, and now CS 6. It just took longer to get the laptop, as Clevo was slow in making some desired changes to their MoBo's, and ADK, and I, had to just sit and wait. Of course, now I have it, but have been traveling too much to even set it up yet. Hope to have that done by mid-June.

Hunt