2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 1:58 PM by IM_Katie

Multi-line Variables

IM_Katie Level 1

Hello,

I am working on a ~800 page "book"

I would like to use variables to set the current chapter & section across the top of each page. The issue I'm running into is that InDesign treats the variable as a single character and everything is squished on one line. I was able to get around this by creating a second paragraph style for the second line (max length), the problem with that solution is that if I am not using that second line, I am still getting a space/paragraph/empty line where the variable would be. If I'm not using the variable, I would like that space to close up. Is there anyway to do that?

Example:

<variable 1>

<variable 1b>  (not used)

<variable 2>

<variable 2b>

Results:

Variable 1

Variable 2

Variable 2b

I though switching to character styles instead would help, but everything remains on one line, even with spaces or other characters between variables. If I add a shift-return between variables, it has the same empty line problem as the paragraph-style-variables.

UGH!

• 1. Re: Multi-line Variables
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Basically, you're asking for something that variables cannot do, at least not currently, as you've apparently come to understand already.

About the only thing I can think of is to add the line break manually where you need it. You can do that more easily in story editor than in layout view.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multi-line Variables
            IM_Katie Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. Simialrly/alternatively I guess I could only include the b-level/second line variables only on the sections that need them. I was just hoping it would be a little less manual than this.