1 person found this helpful
Sorry to hear but if you do not mind I'll post a bit of general advice aimed at others as I think that you now know what you have to do
I have been into Premiere for 20 years and quickly learned: -
1 - If it is not broke do not fix it - namely do not update your software until it is proved to be bug free and only then after you have backed up all your C drive and or cloned the boot disk
2 - Always back up your C drive before adding or updating any software
3 - Turn off automatic updates
4 - Keep your backup software in the same version that you used to create the backups
5 - Never buy or install a mark 1 version or a major update until it is proven by others
6 - If you fail to follow rules 1 to 6 go to the pub and get a skinfull
Do you guys see a pattern?
The most important rule to know and follow is......................do not presume it will be OK, presume the opposite until PROVEN otherwise
These are valid for all PC activities and not just with Adobe oftware
apparentely the exporter(/media encoder) doesn't use the GPU (*sadface*)
It actually does when you queue the export to AME via PP.
What should I do now??
I generally try to be careful with updates, and I should have known better (especially than update in the middle of a project). But given it was a minor update and that minor updates is supposed to fix bugs (and not introduce new features/bugs..) I thought it would be safe.. But it's a weird bug (that couldn't have been fixed by replacing the RGB Curve effect file with an older version!?) and even weirder is that the text I read was for CS5.5..
Luckily I had also installed PP on my laptop, so I just copied the program files from the laptop to my workstation and I could carry on and finnish the project.
The thing about waiting with updates of this kind is that you don't get the bug fixes. It's one thing to wait before you jump on the next big update (like CS5.5 to CS6 etc) and another to install "bug fix updates".
There is no real "infancy period" for minor updates, they do not mature, there is one update, if that update introduces a bug, then that's fixed by the next update etc etc.
In the end, you don't gain that much by waiting to do minor updates (albeit you should avoid it during a project), since minor updates should fix the bugs that your software currently has and you could, theoritically, just end up with more problems when you do decide to do that update.
One solution could be to never update, but then you're stuck with the original bugs..
The best thing to do is to do a backup before updating (and I should've done that..).
What would've happened if I decided to install Premiere Pro a week later?? Then I probably would've gotten the latest version with the update and so the bug!?
I did try to export both "directly" from PP and by queuing them (since I wanted both 720 and 1080 versions), but with no luck.
I did try multiple times (including after a reboot), but the result wouldn't change*.
(* ‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.’ - "Who ever the internet says" ;?D )
What update did you install?
Is there a known issue with this update?
There is no new update since September 2012, right? Or is there something for cloud only?
>The best thing to do is to do a backup before updating (and I should've done that..)
I don't know what you use, but the product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to
make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden
registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore
the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
The version in the about dialog was reset after I replaced the program files (as it should), but the application manager acts like it's the latest version (this is a "danger" with replacing just the program files)..
But I installed the update on my laptop, so here it is:
The "old" version (the current version on my desktop): 6.0.0 (319 (MC: 264587))
The new version (from my laptop): 6.0.3 (001 (MC: 264587))
So the new version is 6.0.3, the first number in the parentheses is most likely the build number, but the last (MC), I have no idea (and it stayed the same..)
And yes, this is through Creative Cloud (not sure on if you perhaps could update to a minor version without CC).
Usually I just copy the program files/binaries, I should copy the reg-files too, but that's a little bit of a pain (much easier in *nix-based systems).
To use something like that for just a program update is a little bit overkill, but I might do it for bigger updates.
Creating a image file of the whole hard drive could be nice sometimes..
I really need to setup a proper incremental backup-sytem (like Timemachine), but with 3-4 TB of data + program files, that's a decent amount of storrage space just for backup.
Generally I don't do regular backups of program files, simply because you can (almost) always reinstall a software..
it's a weird bug
I'm not sure it is a bug. I successfully completed a 1 hour export using RGB curves with 6.0.3. Chances are something just went wonky on your local system.