10 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 7:55 PM by Jim_Simon

Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.

ChrisHindefjord Level 1

I'm trying to finish a project, but Premiere is gving me troubles..

I'm uisng Creative Cloud and I saw that there was a update for Premiere and i thought: "Why not, it can't hurt..", but boy was I wrong!
      Before the update I could play and export my sequence without any problems (except laggy Playback), but after the update Premier wouldn't play the sequences (only audio) and when I tried to render previews I got an generic error.

After some investigation I found that there could be a problem with RGB Curves, and sure enough, after disabling the RGB Curve-effects on the Clips it worked fine!
      I also found that it should work fine with GPU acceleration enabled, so I activated it. Now my project played fine in PP (with RGB Curves), and thanks to the GPU it didn't laily

Happily I started the export and went for a walk, but when I got back the exports had stopped and there was an generic error!

So, apparentely the exporter(/media encoder) doesn't use the GPU (*sadface*) and so is affected by this weird bug.

What should I do now??
      I use RGB Curve for color correction and grading through the whole sequence, so I guess I need to find another effect that gives me the same result..

Windows 8 64bit

• 1. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
          Biggles Lamb Level 3

Sorry to hear but if you do not mind I'll post a bit of general advice aimed at others as I think that you now know what you have to do

I have been into Premiere for 20 years and quickly learned: -

1 - If it is not broke do not fix it - namely do not update your software until it is proved to be bug free and only then after you have backed up all your C drive and or cloned the boot disk

2 - Always back up your C drive before adding or updating any software

3 - Turn off automatic updates

4 - Keep your backup software in the same version that you used to create the backups

5 - Never buy or install a mark 1 version or a major update until it is proven by others

6 - If you fail to follow rules 1 to 6 go to the pub and get a skinfull

Do you guys see a pattern?

The most important rule to know and follow is......................do not presume it will be OK, presume the opposite until PROVEN otherwise

These are valid for all PC activities and not just with Adobe oftware

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
            Jim_Simon Level 8

apparentely the exporter(/media encoder) doesn't use the GPU (*sadface*)

It actually does when you queue the export to AME via PP.

What should I do now??

Try again.

• 3. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
              ChrisHindefjord Level 1

I generally try to be careful with updates, and I should have known better (especially than update in the middle of a project). But given it was a minor update and that minor updates is supposed to fix bugs (and not introduce new features/bugs..) I thought it would be safe.. But it's a weird bug (that couldn't have been fixed by replacing the RGB Curve effect file with an older version!?) and even weirder is that the text I read was for CS5.5..

Luckily I had also installed PP on my laptop, so I just copied the program files from the laptop to my workstation and I could carry on and finnish the project.

The thing about waiting with updates of this kind is that you don't get the bug fixes. It's one thing to wait before you jump on the next big update (like CS5.5 to CS6 etc) and another to install "bug fix updates".
              There is no real "infancy period" for minor updates, they do not mature, there is one update, if that update introduces a bug, then that's fixed by the next update etc etc.
              In the end, you don't gain that much by waiting to do minor updates (albeit you should avoid it during a project), since minor updates should fix the bugs that your software currently has and you could, theoritically, just end up with more problems when you do decide to do that update.
              One solution could be to never update, but then you're stuck with the original bugs..

The best thing to do is to do a backup before updating (and I should've done that..).

What would've happened if I decided to install Premiere Pro a week later?? Then I probably would've gotten the latest version with the update and so the bug!?

• 4. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
                ChrisHindefjord Level 1

I did try to export both "directly" from PP and by queuing them (since I wanted both 720 and 1080 versions), but with no luck.
                I did try multiple times (including after a reboot), but the result wouldn't change*.

(* ‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.’ - "Who ever the internet says" ;?D )

• 5. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What update did you install?

Is there a known issue with this update?

There is no new update since September 2012, right? Or is there something for cloud only?

• 6. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>The best thing to do is to do a backup before updating (and I should've done that..)

I don't know what you use, but the product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
                    Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to

make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden

registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore

the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 7. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
                      ChrisHindefjord Level 1

The version in the about dialog was reset after I replaced the program files (as it should), but the application manager acts like it's the latest version (this is a "danger" with replacing just the program files)..

But I installed the update on my laptop, so here it is:

The "old" version (the current version on my desktop): 6.0.0 (319 (MC: 264587))

The new version (from my laptop): 6.0.3 (001 (MC: 264587))

So the new version is 6.0.3, the first number in the parentheses is most likely the build number, but the last (MC), I have no idea (and it stayed the same..)

And yes, this is through Creative Cloud (not sure on if you perhaps could update to a minor version without CC).

• 8. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Version 6.0.3 may be via the Cloud, but it is for "traditional" CS6... as far as I know

You may want to report this directly to Adobe https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 9. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
                          ChrisHindefjord Level 1

Usually I just copy the program files/binaries, I should copy the reg-files too, but that's a little bit of a pain (much easier in *nix-based systems).

To use something like that for just a program update is a little bit overkill, but I might do it for bigger updates.

Creating a image file of the whole hard drive could be nice sometimes..

I really need to setup a proper incremental backup-sytem (like Timemachine), but with 3-4 TB of data + program files, that's a decent amount of storrage space just for backup.
                          Generally I don't do regular backups of program files, simply because you can (almost) always reinstall a software..

• 10. Re: Encoding fails with RGB Curves after update.
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

it's a weird bug

I'm not sure it is a bug.  I successfully completed a 1 hour export using RGB curves with 6.0.3.  Chances are something just went wonky on your local system.