7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2013 3:30 AM by station_two

How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?

skyzoomer

After editing a "jpg" image in Adobe Camera Raw 7.4, I click the "Open Image" button which opens the image in Photoshop Elements 11 but closes the ACR window.  Is there a way to return to the ACR window with all of the previous adjustments intact?

Thanks,

Skyzoomer

• 1. Re: How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?
          RASouthworth Level 3

In ACR for Photoshop when Open or Done is clicked the adjustments are recorded inside the jpeg file, so that the next time the image is opened in Photoshop ACR will be automatically invoked and the adjustments retained.  I assume ACR for Elements works the same.  Note that the image data in the jpeg file is not modified, so that the adjustments will not be seen in other programs, such as Windows photo viewer.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?
            skyzoomer Level 1

Richard,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.  I just did a test and saved a jpg image using the "Done" button and you're spot on.  Opening the image using the Faststone Image Viewer, the adjustments do not show up.  But opening the image again using ACR, the adjustments are retained.

Question now is how does one know whether jpg images have ACR adjustments imbedded in them?  Since clicking "Done" did not give the opportunity to save the jpg file with a different name, is the only way to rename the file using Windows Explorer or other software after each "Done" save? 

Thanks,

Skyzoomer

• 3. Re: How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?
              RASouthworth Level 3

The only way I know to tell if ACR adjustments are embedded is to try opening in Photoshop or Elements, will invoke ACR if adjustments present.  And as you noted you're not given the opportunity to rename.  You can bake in the adjustments and rename if you use the Save button, and of course you're now modifying the image data.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?
                skyzoomer Level 1

The only way I know to tell if ACR adjustments are embedded is to try opening in Photoshop or Elements, will invoke ACR if adjustments present.  And as you noted you're not given the opportunity to rename.  You can bake in the adjustments and rename if you use the Save button, and of course you're now modifying the image data.

Richard Southworth

Thanks for the confirmation Richard.  I'll rename images and add an "x" as I save them so I can keep track of the images that have ACR adjustments imbedded in the file.

If anyone has alternate methods to ID files with ACR adjustments or other workflow ideas, please do post them.

Thanks,

Skyzoomer

• 5. Re: How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?
                  Level 5

If you view the Contents pane in Bridge, each thumbnail of a file edited in ACR has one or both symbols that indicate a cropping (Crop-Tool symbol inside a circle) or an adjustment edit (two short slider symbols with arrows) above the upper-right-hand corner of the thumbnail frame:

Picture 7.png

• 6. Re: How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?
                    skyzoomer Level 1

station_two wrote:

If you view the Contents pane in Bridge, each thumbnail of a file edited in ACR has one or both symbols that indicate a cropping (Crop-Tool symbol inside a circle) or an adjustment edit (two short slider symbols with arrows) above the upper-right-hand corner of the thumbnail frame:

Picture 7.png

Hi Station_two,

I have Elements and not CS6 so no Bridge.  Unfortunately, PSE 11's Organizer does not show symbols on jpg images that have ACR adjustments imbedded in them.

Thanks,

Skyzoomer

• 7. Re: How to return to camera raw from PSE 11?
                      Level 5

Ah, so you must be on Windows.  The Mac version of Elements comes with Bridge.  Sorry.