4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2007 2:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

Actionscript 2 or 3?

fermp Level 1
      Hello all. I have a decent grasp on Actionscript 2 at this point and I have been holding off on Actionscript 3 for a while now because I'm still exporting everything as flash 8 or even flash 7 instead of 9 due to clients saying they are having people report problems with the site if I use Flash 9. Are all of you starting to develop in AS3? Have you ever had the problem that you developed in AS3 and then the client turned around and said it doesn't work or I don't want people to have to download the Flash update just to see my site? Is there anything you can do to export an AS3 programmed Flash file as Flash 8 or 7?
        • 1. Re: Actionscript 2 or 3?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          converting from as2 to as3 and vice-versa is non-trivial, time-consuming and has not been automated (yet, although someone has made an as2 to as3 converter that works pretty well for simple small bits of code).

i've not had any client issues because all have asked for as2 code except for one client that wanted and as2 project converted to as3.
          • 2. Re: Actionscript 2 or 3?
            fermp Level 1
            Thanks kglad. By the way, your input on this forum is nothing less than legendary and I appreciate your help as I'm sure others do. Keep up the good work :)

I think I'm going to go ahead and learn what I can about AS3 and keep programing in AS2 until I have something that specifically needs AS3.

cheers
            -fermp
            • 3. Re: Actionscript 2 or 3?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              you're welcome.
              • 4. Re: Actionscript 2 or 3?
                Level 7
                fermp,

> I think I'm going to go ahead and learn what I can about
                > AS3 and keep programing in AS2 until I have something
                > that specifically needs AS3.

That's probably a really good way to go, especially if you're writing
                AS2 in a way that takes advantage of its object-oriented features (custom
                classes, inheritance, design patterns). I definitely second kglad's
                assessment on converting from one version of the language to the other:
                it's not always a walk in the park At the same time, OOP is OOP. The
                syntax and package organization of AS3 is often significantly different from
                its predecessor, but the underlying principles are the same. My personal
                hunch is that the most successful developers, over the next few years, will
                develop a firm handle on both (though they may have a favorite).

So AS2 is fine for now, but make sure to bone up on custom classes.

David Stiller
                Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
                http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
                "Luck is the residue of good design."