9 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2013 10:09 PM by ukgaurav

Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8

ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Adobe® recently released Photoshop® Express on Windows 8 tablets, and is now available for download via Windows Store. Adobe® Photoshop® Express is a little app that packs big fun into every photo you take with your smartphone or tablet. Use easy editing options to fix flaws in your photos. Add some creative juice with eye-catching looks and effects. Upload to Adobe® Revel or share on Facebook.

Coupled with power pack features like basic editing, auto fix, effects there are two premiun features available to try and buy as in app purchase. The most exciting feature is import and export with Adobe® Revel making your photos accessible anywhere anytime acrosss all your devices.

For more info visit http://blogs.adobe.com/pselements/adobe-photoshop-express-is-now-avail able-on-windows-8/.

Thanks,

Garry

• 1. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
          Noel Carboni Level 8

While I wish Adobe well with their Photoshop Express app...

Tablets are SO popular, and they are SO ineffective for doing anything serious.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
            conroy Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

they are SO ineffective for doing anything serious.

Life's not (or at least shouldn't be) about being serious all of the time.

As was posted: "Adobe® Photoshop® Express is a little app that packs big fun into every photo you take with your smartphone or tablet." [emphasis added]

• 3. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Understood.  I'm just sensitive on this issue because top executives focus on one and only one thing, to the exclusion of all else, so for example Windows is being turned into a tablet OS without regard for the continuation of real computing on real computers.  This is career and life changing stuff.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
                MW Design Level 5

Noel, you are pretty selective on what is "career and life changing" stuff...that is exactly how so many people feel about the subscription issue. MS should also be free to change what it feels is important and sys integrators and customers be damned...right?

There is absolutely nothing about Windows 8 that can, or should be, career or life changing.

• 5. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

MikeWenzloff wrote:

There is absolutely nothing about Windows 8 that can, or should be, career or life changing.

You're entitled to your opinions, as I am mine.  Having to pay more for good functionality isn't the same as not being able to get good functionality no matter what you pay.  I happen to be a career software engineer.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
                    Curt Y Level 7

Yes, it appears that Microsoft and Apple are in a race to see who can gut the OS the most so your computer looks and acts like a phone.

• 7. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
                      MW Design Level 5

I know that you are a software engineer, Noel. Not that I know how you are applying that term. I am an ex-systems engineer and vertical market (think large-scale insurance) software developer.

There is no loss of functionality in Win 8, so I don't understand your semi-analogy. Now, there are arguments of loss of productivity in Win 8...but I don't buy the arguments.

Opinions are like ***-*****, everyone has them. I'm no different.

Take care, Mike

• 8. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

MikeWenzloff wrote:

There is no loss of functionality in Win 8

I'm thinking you haven't explored Windows 8 thoroughly yet if you haven't discovered the things that are missing, and that power-users crave.  Not night and day bad, just subtly worse - and why should an "up"grade make anything worse?

Of the things I actually use, these come to mind:

• No Previous Versions integration with Windows Backup and Shadow Copies (Windows 8 no longer has Previous Versions, and File History does not replace it).
                        • Windows Backup is considered "deprecated", though still available.  How well it's still integrated with system startup isn't clear; I haven't fully explored restoring systems from System Image backups.
                        • Less usable desktop themes (things like no drop shadows on Windows and no Aero Glass that make working on the desktop stressful).
                        • Loss of Start button/menu; Start screen replacement that blitzes the entire monitor.
                        • Inability to completely disable UAC and retain all functionality (e.g., Metro/Modern apps won't run with UAC off).
                        • Internet Explorer 10 (on Windows 8 only) no longer uses color-assist in rendering fonts, meaning greater eye strain.
                        • More settings that need to be tweaked to make Windows 8 usable.  I've written a book on this!

Some others that come to mind that bother a lot of folks, though they don't affect me personally:

• Loss of video/media playing capability.  No Media Center except if one goes to extra lengths to get it on Win8 Pro only.  And it's not as capable.
                        • Blue screen is dumbed-down, so it's practically impossible to use it to diagnose problems.
                        • There are web sites documenting lost features in detail - e.g., http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.com/2011/09/features-removed-in-windows-8.html

The point is, Microsoft is moving Windows 8 away from being a serious desktop operating system and toward being something that powers toys.

Now, 99% of the above I've been able to work around by tweaking the OS settings and installing 3rd party software.  These are documented in my book.  For example, I have found a 3rd party Aero Glass replacement nearing release that works very nicely.  BUT, there are some things that just don't have suitable replacements (Previous Versions, for example).

So yes, there is a loss of functionality and productivity in Windows 8.

-Noel

P.S.,

MikeWenzloff wrote:

I know that you are a software engineer, Noel. Not that I know how you are applying that term.

I received my degree in Computer Software Engineering from the University of Florida in 1979 and have worked architecting and implementing embedded systems and OS software as a Software Engineer, Senior Scientist, Engineering Manager, Director, and CEO of a software company over the past 35 years.  I've outfitted engineering divisions with PC workstations on which serious software development has been done since the days of DOS.  I've been a Windows expert since there was Windows, and I've found ways to make it stable and productive since the start.  Windows 8 is biggest backstep in the history of Windows (yes, even considering Vista, which I found quite good after the initial dust settled).

• 9. Re: Adobe Photoshop Express is now available on Windows 8
                          ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Thanks a ton Noel. Hopefully if you can also share this with relevant folks in MS support staff. Also there is news around Windows 8.1 accomodating some of these lapses but let`s when finer details and more public beta comes out.

Thanks,

Garry