5 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2013 1:22 PM by ThomasBB RSS

Can't save the illustration - temporary files issue?

ThomasBB83 Community Member

Hi,

Some of our designers often experience the dreaded "Can't save the illustration". It can be any sort of document, but the one thing they all have in common is that they are placed on a shared fileserver we use at work.

It's not a permission-issue, since the errors are intermittent and there's no apparant pattern.

The one thing they have in common is, that when the error happens, we can see one or more temporary files in the directory named "abo43249" (or something similar) with no file-extension. When we delete these files, our designers are able to save the files again.    

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening?

They are all running CS5.5 on Windows 7 Professional x64.

BR,

Thomas

• 1. Re: Can't save the illustration - temporary files issue?
          Monika Gause MVP

Don't save to or read from networked media with Illustrator. It's dangerous for your files.

• 2. Re: Can't save the illustration - temporary files issue?

Apologies if this sounds harsh - it's not meant like that.

But how on earth are we supposed to share files with colleagues if we can't use network drives?

Current workflow:

1. Browse to the folder

2. Open the file

3. Edit the file

4. Save the file

Future workflow:

1. Browse to the folder

2. Copy the file to the local desktop

3. Open the file

4. Edit the file

5. Save the file

6. Copy the file back to the origin point

Two added steps that costs time and wastes ressources. Add to that the risk of someone using a wrong version of the file, because someone else is editing it on his/her local computer.

Most other programs I know of, has no issues working on networked-files (seeing how the files are copied to a local cache anyways).          

• 3. Re: Can't save the illustration - temporary files issue?
              Monika Gause MVP

I'm just telling you, I didn't make it. I don't mind, if you just go on working with your server like you always did ;-)

The "Future workflow" is what has been working basically for ages BTW.

Some suggestions though:

Services like Dropbox can sync automatically when you save to a dedicated folder. Maybe this is possible for your internal network as well. You save to a dedicated folder and some syncing software does the rest.

For some people working directly on the server seems to work with Illustrator. That depends on the network and each single one of the connected hardware, software and every single option in it. There's of course no guarantee, but it is possible to make this work. Testing all the components might take a day or two though.

• 4. Re: Can't save the illustration - temporary files issue?

Adding another source of errors (sync-software) to our already "unstable" environment is not the best idea imho.

I'm truly flabbergasted, that every single company (well.. no.. but you know what I mean ) except Adobe has absolutely no issues making software that handles network drivers just well.

Again, I'm not directing this as you (I'm just happy you're taking the time to respond!) - but it's disappointing that Adobe is unable to create software that caters to the modern world, but I guess that's what lack of competition does to you.

• 5. Re: Can't save the illustration - temporary files issue?
                  ThomasBB Community Member

In case anyone is curious and stumbles upon this thread, we seem to have localized the problem.

We have deactivated the indexing-service on our file-server, and that seems to have done the trick.

Apparantly Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign can't handle indexing.... sigh