5 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2013 3:57 AM by Ashk00 RSS

how do i reattach audio to my timeline?

Ashk00

I recieved the full audio mix from my sound guy. I deleted the original track from the window just to have his full mix working. I know need to re-edit sections and i need the original sound files to do it. How do i get the audio no when there's only video on my timelone?

• 1. Re: how do i reattach audio to my timeline?
          JSS1138 Community Member

You're only hope here is Undo.

• 2. Re: how do i reattach audio to my timeline?
            Steven L. Gotz Community Member

Or go back to some saved version that is before the audio was deleted.

Or, put another copy of the video on the timeline and attempt to cut and line it up the same way.

• 3. Re: how do i reattach audio to my timeline?
              Ashk00 Community Member

Thanks guys, here's another answer, you create subclips and add them back to the timeline. You can create a subclip of your non audio clip and then line it up over that clip. It doesn't carry any effects over with it though. I had to lock the audio channels and then delete the new video but it did work. Also the video and audio then weren't linked, so I had to lasso both together, but it saved me so much time. Also you can't expand that subclip any further than itself but if you're just trimming an edit then it's all good. I had about 13 sequences all completely lately lacking audio and this way totally saved me. Please let me know if anyone else has an easier way of tackling this problem.

• 4. Re: how do i reattach audio to my timeline?
                Allynn Wilkinson Community Member

Glad you found a solution.  Would "match frame" have worked?  That's what I would have tried first (granted, that's an old FCP method).  Select the first video clip, hit "f" to match frame and bring up the clip in the source monitor, edit only the audio down (I'd put it on a different, lower track).  That way the effects on the video would be preserved.

Also, as an aside, whenever I'm making large changes to a project (like deleting entire tracks) I always duplicate the project in the project folder and name it "project_name_ARCHIVE_05_24_13".  That way I can always, easily, go back if I find I've made a mistake.  I'm in the middle of a huge five camera multicam right now and I make an archive copy almost every day.

• 5. Re: how do i reattach audio to my timeline?
                  Ashk00 Community Member

Cool cool, i'll try that next time too. Totally agree about the new project names, I'm writing a list called 'Lessons Learned' and that's going at the top. Thank you.