5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 1:03 PM by tfi productions 44

3D stereoscopic compositing for Blu-Ray 3D

Jay Saul

I have not found any explanation of how to actually combine two camera streams and output for Blu-Ray stereoscopic 3D.  I have an animation ready to go with the left eye done and the beginning of the right eye.  I need to see how I am doing as it takes 8-9 minutes per frame on a very robust machine.        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU2vEWiA14A   

• 1. Re: 3D stereoscopic compositing for Blu-Ray 3D
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You will actually need an encoder that supports the specific H.264 MVC flavor for BD3D, which is nothing you get from Adobe. It involves extra licensing cost and requires to be supported in whatever BD authoring app you use to properly carry the stream flags.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3D stereoscopic compositing for Blu-Ray 3D
            Jay Saul Level 1

Thanks Mylenium, can you suggest of list apps that support BD3D?  Doesn't it seem reasonable that AE or the Adobe Media Encoder would include this code?  Do you (or anyone) know if the CC versions due in June will include this kind of encoding?  I would hate to buy something I will own in a month.

• 3. Re: 3D stereoscopic compositing for Blu-Ray 3D
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

To my knowledge only Sony DVD/ BD Architect and of course Sonic Scenarist BD do support BD3D at all and have the necessary authoring tools and encoders. I'm sure you won't be seeing it any time soon in any Adobe app....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 3D stereoscopic compositing for Blu-Ray 3D
                Jay Saul Level 1

I just spent time talking to India about what is and will be offered by Adobe.  I, to, have the Master Collection on both Mac and PC.  India said, "for sure AE can do it" then later said "well, maybe not". The term 3D has been used so long for the machine generated perspective projected onto a 2D plane that searching for info on stereoscopic 3D has been a year long frustration.  One would think the 3D TV makers would make apps that produce media for their products easily and affordably available.  I have two 3D Blu-Ray writers, a Samsung 3D monitor, a monster PC and a Big Mac

• 5. Re: 3D stereoscopic compositing for Blu-Ray 3D
                  tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,  i am grateful to find this thread:

i am plainning to update to cs6 production premium from 5.03

wanting to create s3d bluray material:

i am finding out for the 1st time here that adobe doesn't offer s3d encoding to bluray

can you point me to links to be able to create s3d bluray material please...

sorry for newbish questions:

is a s3d bluray burner necessary?

is hdmi 1.4 necessary?

what is the best format to encode s3d matrial: side by side; interlaced...?

any help is appreciated, thanks, j