19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2014 7:00 AM by Ph0t0grapher

Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

SK Prairie Chicken Level 1

I'm new to Mac & PSE 11, but not new to PSE.

The Apple Magic Mouse with MacBook & PSE 11 is WAY WAY WAY to sensitive to use in Organizer.  Scrolling goes so fast you lose the image you want--by pages of images.  Even trying to touch the mouse to click/select an image may send the images spinning wildly.  I can adjust the mouse sensitivity, and the scrolling speed, but neither effect the mouse with PSE.  Using the mouse is almost impossible with PSE.  I've never seen this with my PC or previous versions of PSE.

Is anyone using a Magic Mouse successfully?  Is this normal?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I mentioned this on someone else's similar but not the same thread a while back but never got a solution. 

• 1. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
          Brett N Adobe Employee

It should be possible to scroll one row at a time. However, it is very sensitive and that sensitivity is not directly tied to the device settings, unfortunately.

• 2. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
            Barbara B. Level 7

Hmm, I have the magic mouse and don't have that problem. I don't know if it helps at all, but here are my settings:

Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at 9.53.15 PM.png

• 3. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

Both responses are helpful as it appears the problem isn't common to the magic mouse.  It's also losing it's Bluetooth connection once or twice a day so I'm going to try to exchange it for a new one.

Apple personnel suggested the sensitivity could be related to the number of images in the catalog.  Could this be true?  I have over 9000 in mine.

• 4. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

Well, the new magic mouse makes no difference to the scrolling speed.  I guess I'll get good at using the touch pad & arrow keys...

• 5. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                  Barbara B. Level 7

You know, I would contact applecare. It's possible the problem is with the sensor in the macbook itself, if you're losing the connection. Do you have scrolling trouble in other applications, like safari?

• 6. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

No, the scrolling issue is only occuring with PSE 11 Organizer. 

It's too new to say if the new mouse will lose connections--but if it does I agree there may be more going on.  Apple did replace the mouse on the connection issue, but also suggest their may be some other electronic interference in the room, such as a cordless phone, which is causing the problem.

Because I'm new to Mac I paid for their $99 data migration with One-on-One training for a year.  The data migration--either I should have done it myself, or known enough to give a really, really, detailed list of instructions.  I ended up with about half of my images going into iPhoto, converted to jpgs.  And some of my images came across with the tags--but many didn't.  Thank goodness I had told them to bring the images over in their existing (year/country) folders!  Sorting out the mess has taken about three weeks--but that's all another story.

The Apple trainers have been a life-saver, but at the same time are sooo Apple ingrained it is difficult to get what I consider an honest answer. They're pushing Aperture, don't have knowledge of PSE, and suggest it's just an Adobe problem. 

One trainer did admit the Adobe tags wouldn't import into Apple's products, so that pretty much confirmed to me that I must stay with PSE rather than convert to Aperture, but I'd sure be happier if I could use a mouse with the Organizer.

• 7. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                      Barbara B. Level 7

Just in case I wasn't clear, I don't mean talking to the apple store. Those folks sometimes know and often don't. I meant calling the applecare number. The frontline folks aren't always the best, but if you're polite and persistent they will send you to someone who does.

Are you sure your iphoto images really are jpegs? I dislike iphoto, but it doesn't do that on its own. However, you must tell it if you want it to send the originals to external editors, in the preferences>advanced. Otherwise it makes a jpg for simplicity's sake.

also suggest their may be some other electronic interference in the room, such as a cordless phone, which is causing the problem

It wouldn't hurt to change the channel on the phone, if you haven't done this.

• 8. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

It sounds like a phone call would be worth while.  I'll give it a try.

Yes, they were jpgs, which was what alerted me right away there was a problem with the migration as I haven't shot jpgs for a long time.  That & there were only about 4000 images in iPhoto.  Fortunately my .nef and psd files were in Pictures, still in my Folders, and were safe, but the folks doing the data migration had the switches set to convert to jpgs and were adding to iPhoto.  I suspect they found it was taking to long and just quit after they'd created about 30 gb of superfluous jpgs.  After I established I still had my nef files I deleted those jpgs and am not using iPhoto.

At this point all is finally sorted out with the exception of the mouse.  I'll try the Applecare folks.

• 9. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                          Barbara B. Level 7

but the folks doing the data migration had the switches set to convert to jpgs

I don't believe this is even possible without far more direct manual fiddling with the files than they normally do. Just sayin', since I would look hard for the originals. Going into iphoto you can't make jpegs from raw files.

• 10. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

After 1:20 on the phone with Applecare, they sent a tech report to their tech dept.  After about 4 days they found the following solution for me.  I'll pass it along here in case anyone else has the same issue.  I'm still struggling with this, but at least with these settings life is easier in PSE.

Go to your Mac's System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Mouse Options.  Set the Mouse Options Scrolling speed to the slowest setting, and select without inertia from the Scrolling box.

This makes working in the Organizer with the Magic Mouse tolerable; but in all other programs the scrolling is unbearably slow.  Also, it still isn't perfect or consistent.

• 11. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                              cats4jan Level 1

New Mac user here.  That mouse takes getting used to.  I'm either having trouble scrolling because my fingers aren't slippery enough to glide on mouse or I'm zooming past what I want to see.  I foresee a longer learning curve than expected.  I had found the preferences for the mouse, but decided to leave it as is and try and learn to adjust my movements.  Realize you can scroll sideways too.  That's a bonus with this mouse.

• 12. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                                andy@usqProductions.com

I've been trying to use PSE with the magic mouse for over 3 years and it's always had this problem.  I don't see this behavior with any other application.  Clearly the blame belongs squarely with Adobe.  Why don't they fix this behavior that's been known for over 3 years? How can sell substandard upgrades to this product without fixing this bug year after year?

• 13. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                                  ZeeGeezer

I have the same problem with PSE 12 and a magic mouse.  The mouse needs to have tracking set reasonably fast, so that you can move the mouse across the screen, but that makes using the mouse in the organizer pretty much impossible.  I'm new to Macs, but it seems to me it's an Adobe problem, not an Apple one: everything else on the Mac responds to the mouse as I would expect.  My solution is to use a different mouse (with an actual scroll wheel) for PSE.

• 14. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

To andy & zee, I agree it is a problem with Adobe, but andy, I have the same problem with Excel for Mac.  It isn't quite as bad in Excel as you are using the arrows and Enter key more than the mouse, but the same impossibly fast actions take place.  After almost a year and two mice later--I'm no better off.  I have learned, mostly, to live with the Impossible Mouse, but it is a major annoyance.  In hindsight, I may have been better off with Aperture even though I know they don't have layers.

I've come to the conclusion that while the Mac is a wonderful machine when running only Apple software, if you dare to use a program developed by anyone else ... be prepared for issues.

• 15. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                                      ZeeGeezer Level 1

I'm keeping a second mouse (Logitech wireless) just for PSE (and anything else where scrolling becomes an issue).  Now if only I could get the iMac keyobard and mouse to stop freezing when I use Skype ...

• 16. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

THAT is a good idea Zee! 

• 17. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                                          Kevan S.

Just adding that i've been suffering this exact issue as well and it's a major nuisance, on the outside chance someone from Adobe is paying attention.

• 18. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?

I've just upgraded to PSE 12 from 11 as I was having a lot of issues with 11 on my Mac.  I was hoping the upgrade would resolve the Impossible Mouse problem but no joy.  It has resolved other issues I was having though.  Like Zee, I've found using a Logitec Mouse with a wheel strictly for PSE makes life easier.

It would sure be nice if Adobe would address this annoying issue.

• 19. Re: Magic Mouse and PSE 11?
                                              Ph0t0grapher

Yes, I have the same problem. Makes the organiser virtually unusable. Can't believe Adobe haven't sorted this as it is not an issue with Lightroom.