• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving an image as a circle not rectangle

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/images/1996twopoundeuropeanfootballchampionshipsgoldproofrev400.jpg

I want to save this image as a circle to import into adobe after effects or magix unfortunately it save into a rectangle or square on my pc and so when I save it has the border and white bitsand if I import it into Magix the round football effect is lost is there anyway I can save this and import it into Magic or Adobe as a circle and not a square?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Thanks for everyone's help I managed to do the transparency and import it into Magix. Thanks for all the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images are always rectangular, but of course it's possible to save transparency/ Alpha channels to define custom shape cutouts - if you use a suitable format such as PSD, TIFF and so on. Well, whatever, you have some reading up to do. This is basic stuff.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a transparency video I found on youtube and it checked the edges using the magic eraser I saved it as a PNG but still has the white bits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve: Did you select and delet the white bits before saving as a PNG file? Doing so should acheive the required result.

Anthony

PS. Yiou need to make the background layer a normal layer first of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEIj_08iffwhttp://

I copied how this person did it on this video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve: If you open the PNG back into Photoshop does the transparent parts show as transparent?@ If so, the receiving program (After Effects, Magix?) will need to be able to handle the transparency - maybe a setting on import or something ie. "retain transparency"?  You will need to explore this yourself as I am not familiar with the usage in either of the programs you mention.

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I took your Image, used the Magic Wand to Select one corner of the white background, with Shift+click to Select the other three corners. I Dbl-clicked on the Background Layer, and Named it "Image Layer." Then, with my four-corner Selection, just did a Delete, allowing that Image Layer to show Transparency (in the four corners). I did Save_As PNG, and it Imported into Premiere Pro and After Effects just fine, with the Transparency.

When I reopened the PNG in Photoshop, here is what it looks like:

Ball_02.png

Now I just used the Magic Wand at the last settings that I had, so you might want to adjust that, to clean up any white, that I missed.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a PS, once you have Deleted the white in the four corners, you could also Save_As PSD, which will Import into Premiere Pro, and After Effects perfectly. I do not recall how Magix (MovieEdit Pro?) handles Transparency. I do have an older copy of it, but it's on my workstation, and also might not be the version that you have. Give me the info on your Magix program, and if mine is close, I will test with that too.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's help I managed to do the transparency and import it into Magix. Thanks for all the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2013 Sep 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask how to save the png (for a web site) as a circle? Dreamweaver makes the transparent corners come out white. I copied the web page background and used that under the image, but it is still noticable. No problems in AE or PP, but in DW ... I need to crop and save as a circle.  ???????   Thanks for your thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was not helpful whatsoever

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

'Well, whatever, you have some reading up to do. This is basic stuff.'

That's just an insulting comment.

Well, maybe it's not so basic for some users. As for me, I arrived here trying to find if there was an export option of any kind that would physically save the image as a disc shape as opposed to a rectangle with alpha channel / transparency etc. Oooh, maybe that's just not possible, but why not ask?

So it's not really 'basic stuff' at all if you look at it in an extended community kind of way, Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines