15 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 9:21 PM by A.T. Romano
      • 1. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First you say re-install, then you say new laptop... so, what are you doing?

Did you have to un-install and you are re-installling, or is this a new install on a new computer?

If re-install, did you deactivate before un-installling?

If new install, still need to ask... did you deactivate on your old computer?

• 2. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Katherine Schmeichel

Yes. I have been there and done that.

So far working fine.

Initially I ran into the "Shared Technologies" installation block issue. But that is an issue that can and has hit other Premiere Elements Windows version installation combos.

Should work out fine. I can also install Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 11 as well on Windows 8 64 bit, all performing well.

Any problems please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
            Kathrine Schmeichel Level 1

Dear John

Thanks for ur quick reply. I never used tis formum before, so I am sorry for being too unclear..

Anyway, what  mean is this:

I want to buy a new laptop as my old lap top has Windows XP and 'suffers' from a lot of things! On this old lap top I have installed Premiere Elements 10, and I just want to know if the 'old' version 10 will work in Windows 8, as it is not mentioned in the system requirements here:

http://www.adobe.com/eeurope/products/photoshop-premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

I hope it is more clear now?

Thanks!

Kathrine Schmeichel

• 4. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Katherine Schmeichel

John T. Smith brings up an excellent point that relates back to how many computers Adobe allows you to have a given S/N on.

Only two.

Remember that uninstall from one computer is not enough if you are watching your number of installed S/N. You have to Deactivate and then Uninstall/Reinstall. Otherwise the computer with just the uninstall will still be counting as one of your allowed installs.

Several of the later version give Help Menu/Deactivate in the program before you close the program and head for the typical Control Panel uninstall. Some versions also give a Deactivate option in the uninstall process. Check all angles.

ATR

• 5. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Katherine Schmeichel

Are you working from installation files from an online purchased download or from an installation disc.

If an installation disc and the Photoshop Elements 10/Premiere Elements 10 combo packaging, then use Disc 2 of 5 for the install of the program on Windows 8 64 bit.and disc 4 of 5 for installation of the Content. I am not sure of discs on purchase of standalone product, just look for the disc specified for Windows 7 64 bit (remember Windows 8 64 bit was not released at that time).

If you are installing from installation files from an online purchased download, that is a bit tricker. I suspect, do not know for sure, that those files may be Windows XP 32 bit specific and consequently not usable on Windows 8 64 bit. I will see what I can find out if someone does not know first hand about the specificity of those online downloads.

Please fill in any missing information so that we may help further if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?

Yes, I have been installing from installation files from an online purchased download. And I have also installed the programme on a pc with Windows 7, as I could not work properly on my laptop with XP (and hence 32 bit).

I never knew that I had certain numbers of downloads... So I might have used my license fully?

Best regards,

Kathrine

• 7. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I never knew that I had certain numbers of downloads...

Kathrine,

It is not a limited number of downloads (the process of copying a file from a Web site, to one's computer), but the number of installations and the number of Activations.

Adobe allows for two installations/Activations of a program, onto different personal computers. However, those two installations may not be run at the same time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Katherine Schmeichel

I think the answer is unfortunately going to be No with regard to your question as further defined by you. That is because I am more certain than ever that the basic issue goes to use of those downloaded installation files instead of installation discs.

The installation discs would have given you the flexibility of using Premiere Elements 10 on Windows XP 32 bit (disc 1 of 5) or Windows 7 64 bit (disc 2 of 5) (also works for Windows 8 64 bit); whereas those downloaded files are specific for a 32 bit system (your Windows XP).

In support of that

http://designgard.com/topic/818530/where-do-i-find-the-file-to-install-adobe-premiere-elem ents-10-on-windows-7-64-bits/

I need to see if I can find more and better online confirmation on that point.

A secondary issue might been (if the above were not involved) the number of different computer installs for your purchased serial number.

But, are you saying that you have in fact used those downloaded installation files to install Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit or rather is it Windows 7 32 bit. That probably will work since you would be going between 32 bit Windows versions, not 32 bit to 64 bit.

Please check out the above to firm up the details and conclusions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Perhaps you can answer this question? As I have never purchased a download version of any Adobe program, and especially not PrE, I do not know the answer.

With a download, if there are multiple versions, such as 32-bit and 64-bit, when one purchases the download version, do they get a link to both versions, or are both versions included in one download?

Part B of that question relates to platform compatibility. With the physical media, one gets both a 32-bit and 64-bit, and the ability to install on either a Mac, or PC. Does the download installer contain both Mac and PC versions, or are they platform-specific? If both platform versions ARE included, are the provided S/N's platform-specific?

I know that with some other Adobe programs, whether one one has purchased the program for one platform, will dictate which S/N they will receive, and a PC will have a PC-specific S/N, where a Mac will have a different S/N that is Mac-specific. This will soon be completely moot, as those programs will ONLY be available via CC, and will NOT be platform-specific. I just do not know how things like that are done with PrE, which, for the time being, will NOT be part of the CC scheme.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I have never made an online purchase and use of related installation files for Premiere Elements and will be more comfortable after I gather some additional information on the matter. Right now, without further information, I am speculating on Katherine Schmeichel's situation. If she tells me that she has been able to use her Premiere Elements 10/Windows XP 32 bit installation files (from online purchase) to install Premiere Elemens 10 on Windows 7 64 bit, that will shed a whole new light on the matter as it relates to whether or not what she did for Windows 7 64 bit can be done for Windows 8 64 bit.

I suspect there are two different installers involved for Windows and Mac with these online purchases. But whether the Windows Installer allows for conversion between 32 and 64 bit system, I am not sure. I think that was discussed in a thread here about a year or two ago, and I am trying to find that thread.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks. I am also in the dark, as I have never bought a program via download from Adobe - only boxed media.

If you do find out more, please share.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?

Dear ATR

Sorry, I was away from the computer for a long time...

As I remember, I did not download a version for 32-bit, as I don't think it was a possible option at that time (Sept 2012).

Anyway, the system requirements says, among others:

http://www.adobe.com/eeurope/products/photoshop-premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

"Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Media Center, Windows Vista® (all applications run native on 32-bit operating systems and in 32-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit operating systems), or Windows 7 (Adobe® Premiere® Elements Editor runs native on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems; all other applications run native on 32-bit operating systems and in 32-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit operating systems)".

I think the optimal solution for me is to call Adobe's national customer service (here in Denmark) to get a direct answer.

Thanks for all ur help :-)

Best regards,

Kathrine

• 13. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Katherine Schmeichel

Further comments...

If you run Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, it becomes a 64 bit application with the advantage that it can use more of the 64 bit resources.

If you run that very same Premiere Elements 10 on Windows XP or Vista 32 bit, it is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system with all the limitations of 32 bit system.

From what you wrote, you have installation files that were successful for installing Premiere Elements 10 on Windows XP 32 bit. What I need to know is were you successful in using those very same installation files to install Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit? If so, barring any glitches, I would expect that you can use those installation files to install Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8 64 bit.

If all that is possible, it would suggest that those purchased downloaded installation files are created to recognize a 32 bit or 64 bit and work from the appropriate 32 bit or 64 bit installer (convert between the 2).

Whether or not you can and have installed Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit should be the turning point to answering your question.

Please let us know if you get any further clarification from Adobe.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?

Dear Bill, ATR & John

I talked with Adobe Customer Service yesterday and they told me:

1. It is possible to use my download version in Windows 8.
                                  2. I am allowed to make downloads on two different machines (which means that I'll have to uninstall the Premiere Element 10 from my old laptop, if I want to install it on a new laptop)

Thank you for all ur assistance ad response.

Best regards,

Kathrine

• 15. Re: Is it possible to install Premiere Elements 10 on a laptop with Windows 8?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Kathrine Schmeichel

Thanks for the follow up with the good news.

You wrote

I am allowed to make downloads on two different machines (which means that I'll have to uninstall the Premiere Element 10 from my old laptop, if I want to install it on a new laptop

Not counting the laptop, where are the two other installs for Premiere Elements 10 with this same S/N? Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit or other?

If that is the case and based on what Adobe told you, it looks like the installation files downloaded to your Windows XP 32 bit must be interchangeable once they recognize the system 32 vs 64 bit rather than the installer being specific for just 32 or 64 bit.

Continued success.

ATR