4 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2013 8:03 PM by Trevor.Dennis

how can I create a checkerboard in photoshop?

juandent@mac.com Level 1

I have the feeling that a checkerboard must be simple to create in Photoshop, perhaps using layers and duplicating checkerboard elements, but I am still struggling.

Please help,

Juan Dent

• 1. Re: how can I create a checkerboard in photoshop?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

First thing that comes to my mind is to define a 2 x 2 square pattern, then use Edit - Fill - Pattern.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how can I create a checkerboard in photoshop?
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

When I am doing that sort of thing as a one off (and I do this quite often) I turn on the grid.  If the grid spacing is not to my liking, I open the Image resize panel > turn off resampling, and change the dpi.  I find this easier than changing the grid spacing in Preferences.

1. Then I'd make a rectangular selection snapping to grid. 
            2. Copy the layer and shift it to the next grid position.
            3. Merge the first two layers and make a copy.
            4. shift the copied layer to the grid.
            5. I'd repeat the above proces untill I had, say, a row of eight on a single layer
            6. Repeat the process vertically untill I had a square eight by eight on a single layer.

You could do what you like from there. 

• Make it a pattern and use it fill a space
            • Free transform to make smaller.
            • Turn it into a Shape to make bigger (being square it would convert to a Vector shape very nicely).

If that sounds long winded, I promise it is verr very quick to do, but I'd like to have an Array tool similar to Autocads.  You can make arrays using Free Transform shift and repeat, but I have to think how to do that almost every time I use it.  Or you can use Scripts if you know how, or use a ready made one like this panel by Trevor Morris:

• 3. Re: how can I create a checkerboard in photoshop?
              conroy Level 5

Trevor, if you draw all the squares of a checkerboard then do 'Edit > Define Pattern...', the pattern definer will cleverly discard almost all your work and make an optimal tile containing only the repeating element of 2 squares x 2 squares.

You get the same tile for far less work by doing what Noel said - define only a 2 squares x 2 squares pattern tile and do a Fill or make a Pattern Fill Layer with it.

Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 00.50.24.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: how can I create a checkerboard in photoshop?
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I didn't know that conroy, but I almost always do it long hand anyway, because it really doesn't take me very long, and I feel more in control of the process.  I am usually designing on the fly as well, so like to see how things devlop, rather than commit to a sellected space and filling it.