9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 1:40 PM by Fabrice RODRIGUEZ

Can't find camera raw

Fabrice RODRIGUEZ

Hi gang,

I've got PS CS6 installed on my Mac and working fine with my raw files (NEF) but I can't open the files in camera raw before going to PS.

The option "Open with> Camera Raw" on the riht click in the finder does not exist.

The camera raw extention is correctly installed in PS C6

Is anybody got an idea?

This think make me nuts

Thanks for your help

Fabrice

• 1. Re: Can't find camera raw
          Level 5

If you are "working fine" with raw NEF files, then you are either in fact working in Adobe Camera Raw, or you inadvertently installed a Nikon raw plug-in in your Photoshop installation. 

Photoshop by itself cannot open any raw file; only ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) or a raw converter like such a Nikon plug-in can.

Uninstall the Nikon plug-in and re-launch Photoshop.  ACR should be available now.

Is Photoshop fully updated (either to 13.0.4 if on a Mac perpetual license or 13.1 otherwise)?

Is ACR updated to ACR 7.4 or higher?

Is your particular camera model already supported by ACR?  "NEF" is a generic term and not pertinent here.

ACR can be hosted indistinctly bt Photoshop or by Bridge.  This is what ACR hosted by Photoshop CS6 looks like:

Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 3.53.16 PM.png

• 2. Re: Can't find camera raw
            Fabrice RODRIGUEZ Level 1

Thanks station_two,

My PS vesrion is 13.0.0 and ACR seems to be 8.1.0.34 (Menu PS> About External Modules>ACR

Yes my camera (Nikon D600) is supported by PS and ACR.

I never install any Nikon plugin on my Mac, I don't need that, Apple provides all you need to read the files in the Finder or other Apple programs.

So I'm pretty sure PS is using ACR in the background to open my images.

My problem is I can't access the ACR windows shown on your screenshot before opening the photos in PS. I also can't find the ACR program in the Finder.

All suggestions are welcome

I'll appreciate your help

Fabrice

• 3. Re: Can't find camera raw
              Level 5

Fabrice RODRIGUEZ wrote:

My PS vesrion is 13.0.0 and ACR seems to be 8.1.0.34 (Menu PS> About External Modules>ACR…

Good grief, Fabrice!   You need to update Photoshop ASAP.  You should be on version 13.0.4 on your Mac.

Fabrice RODRIGUEZ wrote:

…My problem is I can't access the ACR windows shown on your screenshot before opening the photos in PS. I also can't find the ACR program in the Finder…

No, you would never find ACR in the Finder.    It's not a "program" or application but a plug-in that can be hosted either by Photoshop or by Adobe Bridge.

You cannot call on ACR by itself.  ACR is available only when you specifically and deliberately open one or more supported files, and then it open either hosted by Photoshop or by Bridge. 

What you are seeing is perfectly normal, expected behavior.

Now go and update Photoshop this very instant—you are four versions behind! Any file you create or have already created in 13.0.0 is potentially, permanently and irreparably compromised.

• 4. Re: Can't find camera raw
                Level 5

Fabrice RODRIGUEZ wrote:

…(Menu PS> About External Modules>ACR…

In what language is your Photoshop user interface?  French, perhaps?  Just curious about the "External Modules" designation for Plug-ins. 

• 5. Re: Can't find camera raw

Your right my version is in French for now and a better transalation sould be plug-ins

• 6. Re: Can't find camera raw

Thanks for your answer,

I'll try to update my version, but last time I checked (not a long ago) the applicaiton manager didn't find any new release to install.

Anyway, so my question would be how do you access the ACR window shown in your screenshot?

• 7. Re: Can't find camera raw
                      Level 5

Fabrice RODRIGUEZ wrote:

…Anyway, so my question would be how do you access the ACR window shown in your screenshot?

As I said above, by actually opening a suported raw file.

You cannot launch ACR by itself.  It will manifest itself hosted by Photoshop only when you are opening a raw file.

Repeating:

No, you would never find ACR in the Finder.    It's not a "program" or application but a plug-in that can be hosted either by Photoshop or by Adobe Bridge.

You cannot call on ACR by itself.  ACR is available only when you specifically and deliberately open one or more supported files, and then it opens either hosted by Photoshop or by Bridge. 

What you are seeing is perfectly normal, expected behavior.

• 8. Re: Can't find camera raw
                        Level 5

Fabrice RODRIGUEZ wrote:

…I'll try to update my version, but last time I checked (not a long ago) the applicaiton manager didn't find any new release to install…

Do not ever rely on the Adobe Auto Updater or Application Manager.  Unfortunately, it has been broken in one way or another for many, many years, and it continues to be »en panne« often and regularly.  I haven't used it myself in a very long, loooong time.

Go look for the updates, download them to your computer, and then run the installer contained in them.

Find them here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh

• 9. Re: Can't find camera raw

Thanks to you guys, I solve my problem.

I update PS to the last release

I use mini bridge to open the raw file in ACR before going to PS

Tahnsk again

Cheers