6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2013 3:36 PM by Dave LaRonde

Lossless Codec Export

MarNT

Hi everyone,

I'm having problem getting my head round codecs!

I always export from AE and take my scenes to FinalCutPro for the edit.

What's the highest quality file I can take to FCP?

Is uncompressed the best option?

There are two options in the codec drop down menu for Uncompressed.

Uncompressed YUV10bit

Uncompressed YUV8bit

What's the difference and which should I use?!

When I add to render queue it automatically sets the codec to lossless. but if you click it and go to codec menu, there is no lossless

option in the codec drop down?! Is this the same as the animation codec?

Arggg!

I just want to know whats the best codec for the maximum quality export to take to FCP for the last edit.

I appreciate any help.

Thankss

• 1. Re: Lossless Codec Export
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The "Lossless" preset on Mac uses Quicktime Animation since lossless merely means visually lossless and does not preclude binary compression. For sending your stuff to FCP it mostly comes down to what your project settings are. Yes, Apple Uncompressed is okay, but many times you may still want to use ProRes or the conventional Animation or PNG CoDecs to save disk space and keep file sizes small. There's really no "one size fits all". Especially when your footage started out as compressed and may already have gone through heavy conversion and processing by mangling it in AE there may be other things to consider and contribute much more to retaining quality like just using "fat" uncompressed files...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Lossless Codec Export
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> The "Lossless" preset on Mac uses Quicktime Animation since lossless merely means visually lossless and does not preclude binary compression.

That's not correct. The Animation codec is mathematically lossless; it loses no information for 8bpc images. It is not merely visually lossless. Same with PNG codec in a QuickTime container.

• 3. Re: Lossless Codec Export

Picking raisins out of the pudding today, are we?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Lossless Codec Export
                MarNT Level 1

I need to know for doing more edit in Final cut, is it better to export the file with Animation codec, or Uncompressed from AE?

• 5. Re: Lossless Codec Export

Doesn't really matter. The critical point would be to avoid extra file conversions and the potential issues associated with them like color shifts. What you get out of AE is an intermediate file, not the end result. If your FCP project uses ProRes, then naturalyl rendering ProRes from AE would be kinda smart. If it uses otehr CoDecs, then rendering to those would be advisable, but naturally you can always work with mixed media and let FCP handle the stuff quietly. Generally you shouldn't overthink this. As long as you use any lossless CoDec, you'll have plenty of freedom.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Lossless Codec Export
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I always export from AE and take my scenes to FinalCutPro for the edit.

What's the highest quality file I can take to FCP?

Practically speaking, it would be the codec of your FCP edit timeline. 

Since anything that's higher-quality than your FCP edit timeline will eventually be rendered in the codec of your FCP edit timeline, you can simply render in the codec of your FCP edit timeline.   You will gain no improvement in image quality by doing otherwise.