4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2007 1:43 AM by RoboColum(n)

ActiveX in WebHelp

cya;)
      I'm finishing up a help file for end users who are prohibited from enabling activeX controls. I read one forum comment that indicates that the activex message only comes up when we're trying to view our help locally. Is that true? do I need to publish to the server before I can view it the way the end user is going to view it?

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, are there skins, etc that I can use that won't generate the Enable ActiveX prompt on IE 6 or 7?

Thanks very much!

cya;)
        • 1. Re: ActiveX in WebHelp
          Linux Rules Level 2
          Hello cya -

Need more info, but as long as you aren't using some "function" involving ActiveX (such as a Windows-only "spell check" function) there shouldn't be any error message.

Also, which version of RoboHelp are you using?

Regards,
          GEWB
          • 2. Re: ActiveX in WebHelp
            maniac9999 Level 1
            Try this:

Go into IE.

Go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced (tab)

Scroll down to the "Security" section

Make sure both of the "Allow active content" options are checked.

Reboot your machine and give it a shot.

Jim
            • 3. Re: ActiveX in WebHelp
              cya;) Level 1
              I'm using x.5.0.2, (WebHelp) and just ran all updates a couple of weeks ago. I'm not so concerned with what happens in my browser, as i am with what's going to happen at the customer's end. these customers cannot alter the browser's security settings, so that suggestion won't work, if that were the case, the developers would just force the settings in the install. the clients won't allow it.

i suspect that publishing to our server and viewing from there might alleviate the issue.

Thoughts?
              • 4. Re: ActiveX in WebHelp
                RoboColum(n) Level 5
                ActiveX controls are basically things like drop downs, expanding text and other forms of popups. If you don't use them, your users will be able to view the help.