21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 11:33 AM by Stan Jones RSS

Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

jackdelamare Community Member

Creating a Blu-Ray in Encore CS6 (Windows 7 64-bit) and I seem to be having some trouble with the video itself. I've just set up chapters (video buttons etc) for the scene selection menu and the Blu-Ray is pretty much close to completion, but I've just noticed an issue with the start of the film. I noticed it first when I had rendered the motion menus, chapter 1 would glitch and flash green and skip to the next scene, on the video button. I thought it might be because there's about 10 seconds of blackness before titles start rolling at the start.

But I don't think that is the issue, as when I go into the timeline for the film, the first minute is glitched and just shows a green screen. After that, everything's fine. I'm confused because the video plays absolutely fine in Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player.

Here is a screenshot:

Green.jpg

Does anybody have any ideas? Is it as simple as my video is corrupted? Seems odd if it plays fine outside of Encore.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

It's true; makes no sense.

When I see such symptoms, I'm inclined to think hardware/video drivers and the like.

If it's Encore, I'd start by looking at the nature of the assets - is encore transcoding them?

• 2. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

It currently says "untranscoded" but I didn't think it needed to be transcoded if it had been exported specifically for Blu-Ray? I exported it a few months ago in Premiere CS6 with h264 Blu-Ray settings, so video and audio files are seperate.

• 3. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Make sure you are looking at the column for Bluray Transcode Status (you see the one for DVD first; bluray is further to the right). If Encore sees it as Bluray spec, it should say "Do Not Transcode," not "Untranscoded."

How does it look if you import it into Premiere?

• 4. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

It says "Do Not Transcode" under the Blu-Ray spec, which is good.

But this is what happens in Premiere, which is alarming...

red.jpg

So I assume the file is actually corrupt?

• 5. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

try reexporting it.

• 6. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

Doing so now. It's estimated 20 hours and climbing. I really don't like exporting. I know this is probably a hard to answer question but for a 1 hour film with various lighting changes, scene changes etc, I should be exporting VBR 2-Pass right? I'm just thinking to save time perhaps only do 1-Pass.

• 7. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I would do a short export of the affected area, just to test that.

• 8. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

I rendered the whole film again and it doesn't seem corrupted like the last one. It's exactly the same length as the previous one.

Now to put it into Encore... I have all my chapters set up on the current video in Encore, so how would I go about keeping this but replacing the video file?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
                          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Right click the asset, select "Replace Asset." To force Encore to remove any "bad memories," make sure the file has a different name.

• 10. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
                            Neil Wilkes Community Member

jackdelamare wrote:

Creating a Blu-Ray in Encore CS6 (Windows 7 64-bit) and I seem to be having some trouble with the video itself. I've just set up chapters (video buttons etc) for the scene selection menu and the Blu-Ray is pretty much close to completion, but I've just noticed an issue with the start of the film. I noticed it first when I had rendered the motion menus, chapter 1 would glitch and flash green and skip to the next scene, on the video button. I thought it might be because there's about 10 seconds of blackness before titles start rolling at the start.

But I don't think that is the issue, as when I go into the timeline for the film, the first minute is glitched and just shows a green screen. After that, everything's fine. I'm confused because the video plays absolutely fine in Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player.

Here is a screenshot:

Green.jpg

Does anybody have any ideas? Is it as simple as my video is corrupted? Seems odd if it plays fine outside of Encore.

Thanks!

What codec is the source file please?

Just because you can play a file in a media player does not mean anything much as there are all manner of hack/back engineered "codec packs" that can and do cause utter havoc with DVD authoring systems.

• 11. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

I did this and it looked like it had worked, but the same issue occured, during the intro the screen went green and wouldn't show any of the movie around that section. Only a minute or so. But this new version played fine in Premiere.

• 12. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

What codec is the source file please?

Just because you can play a file in a media player does not mean anything much as there are all manner of hack/back engineered "codec packs" that can and do cause utter havoc with DVD authoring systems.

It's exported as an m4v file - in Premiere I selected "h.264 Blu-Ray" and exported it like that.

• 13. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

Sorry for triple post... the same thing happened with the newly rendered file so I'm thinking maybe it's something in the film that only Encore is recognising?

EDIT: I also exported just the front part of the film to see if that was causing the problem but Encore has no problem with it. It's all there.

• 14. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

Does anybody know why this might be happening?

Thank you

• 15. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
                                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Still seems odd to me.

I really don't understand what you are ****, re the first post: " I noticed it first when I had rendered the motion menus, chapter 1 would glitch and flash green and skip to the next scene, on the video button. I thought it might be because there's about 10 seconds of blackness before titles start rolling at the start."

But at this stage, I would create a new Encore project, no menus, import as timeline the newest file (that imports and plays okay in Premiere, but still misbehaves in Encore). Does it play through in Encore okay?

• 16. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

Pretty much the same thing happens in a new Encore project. It's red or green for the first 2.5 minutes and then the rest of the film is fine. I'm confused.

• 17. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

Hi Stan,

Is there anything you can think of? I'm completely blown away by this, it's just one tiny problem which holds up the entire project. I tried it in a blank new project and the same thing happened. Does this mean the video file is corrupt?

Thanks,

Jack

• 18. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
                                            Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I'm still confused as to what you are doing. I agree it is completely odd.

I would not overlook video driver issues. But I don't see  how that fits the pattern of problems either.

I would keep narrowing down precisely what source, PR sequence, Encore settings do or do not show the problem.

• 19. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

Hi Stan,

I really think it might have something to do with the video itself. Maybe there's a video clip IN the film that is corrupted... it's exporting fine but when played in Encore it doesn't like it.

What makes me think this is I have the same cut of the film but exported for DVD (MPEG-2) but I tried copying it onto another hard drive the other day and it wouldn't copy because the file was "corrupted" according to Windows.

Any ideas?

• 20. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?

Stan! I think I have solved this.

I re-exported JUST the intro of my film, so from the very start up until 1 minute in - up until it wasn't green/corrupted in Encore when played back.

I then imported this asset into my project (it was 00:01:02:15 in length) and cut the timeline of the film with my chapters on so I could then insert this new intro. When I played it back, it all played fine in the preview.

I then rendered the motion menus and low and behold, it works! Playback!

So Stan, I THINK this has solved it... I just worry about the original file being corrupted.

• 21. Re: Blu-Ray - Video is Green?
                                                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I just worry about the original file being corrupted.

As good a theory as any. And you got it to work!