8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2013 8:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?

Rob67103

I bought Premiere Elements 11 (PE11) to burn HD video.  I've put together a vacation video, and whenever I try to burn it, I am lucky to get to 1-3% before I get a "transcoding error."

Most of my content in my video is video taken with a Canon Vixia HF  R30. There are also about 105 photos taken with a Fuji Finepix, 4000 x  3000 pixels.  There are also about 44 photos taken with an Olympus  VG110,D700, photos at 3968 x 2976 (according to Windows Explorer).  Everything is saved into  one .prel file, and I was trying to set it up with the video, my photos  (105 photos), and the other photos, into 3 different "films" on the  video.  I hadn't figured out how to set up everything the way I wanted,  as I was trying to burn the video by tonight.  Which ain't going to  happen now.

I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit on a homebuilt machine that is having no other problems.  Here's info on my machine:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz

RAM:  4 Gb

Video: NVIDIA GTS 450.  I think 1Gb of onboard RAM, but I'm not sure.

Primary HD: 465 Gb, 388 Gb free

Storage HD (where video is stored): 465Gb, 396 Gb free.  I think it's a Seagate SATA/300 Barracude 500 Gb

DVD Drive: LiteOn DVD Writer LH-20A1H186C

Bluray Drive: LiteOn iHBS212

The computer works fine for everything else.  The Bluray drive is brand new, and other then playing a move Bluray for a few minutes after I installed it, it hasn't been used.  I have burned SD video on the other DVD drive, using Roxio software to make a similar disk (main presentations were video, often slideshows for 1-2 other presentations).  I never had a problem with that.  Also ran a utilities program to clean up the registry and see if there were other issues.

Also, when I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, my CPU never appears to be taxed above 50-60%, and at most it shows I'm using 2.25 Gb of my 4 Gb of RAM.  But I have gotten a few pop-ups from PE11 telling me that Adobe is low on memory and that I should save my project. 

My computer did act slow at times when I was building the video.  I realize that HD video requires much more power to handle, but since I thought I met the minimum requirements that I'd be able to do this. I was also counting on Adobe's reputation for video software.  But I'm wondering if I should find another company's program for HD video.

• 1. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 2. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob67103

Please follow that thought which seems consistent what I have written below for your specific situation:

PE11 telling me that Adobe is low on memory and that I should save my project. 

Bottom line: Crop and Resize your 4:3 photos for pixel dimensions not to exceed 2200 x 1238 pixels (16:9). Your photos appear to be 4:3 destined for a 16:9 export, that is why the crop & resize to  rather than just resize. Your burn to Blu-ray offers the frame rate of 1920 x 1080 and it is not adjustable. You might look to do batch cropping and resizing in a free program such as IrfanView or, less preferred by me, you could try to scale your photos in the Edit Mode Monitor set up by the program in accord with your project preset yet to be discussed, depending on the details of your video properties.

Also, look at and for:

a. placement of Timeline menu markers (type, spacing, location)...stop markers do not function in the playback of the Premiere Elements (any version) burn to Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc. So do not put in any stop markers, particulary at the end of the last Timeline content.

b. thin slivers of leftovers scattered about the tracks, presenting as thin vertical black lines (expand the Timeline to get the best possible view).

Although Premiere Elements 11 and your computer operating system is allowing you to import that large a photo, consider that you are running your Premiere Elements 11 in a Windows Vista 32 bit computer which means Premiere Elements 11 is running as a 32 bit application with all the limitations of 32 bit system, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4.0 GB of which 3.0 GB or less are available.

Where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is there.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
              Rob67103 Level 1

thanks for the help.  I'l adjust the photos and try again.

• 4. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob67103

Thanks for the follow up with the troubleshooting suggested.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, along with the "Orphans," that ATR mentions:

b. thin slivers of leftovers scattered about the tracks, presenting as thin vertical black lines (expand the Timeline to get the best possible view).

Look for gaps in your Video, that are not covered up by material on an upper Video Track. Those can be tough to spot, but I like to Zoom IN on my Timelne, then from 00;00;00;00, use the PageDN to step through the Timeline, Clip by Clip. The CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line), just smoothly jump from Clip to Clip. If you see it appear to "stutter," or "hiccup," check that spot, to make sure that you do not have a gap, that is not covered by Video/Still/Title on a higher Video Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
                    Rob67103 Level 1

Ok, using the info here, I went in and coverted the original photos to 16:9, then resized to 1920 x 1080.  Deleted all the photos from the presentation and loaded the newly resized ones.  I was able to upload the new ones with fewer difficulties than earlier.  But the program froze up when I tried to render the entire thing.  I restarted, looked for gaps/slivers, but didn't find anything.  Also made sure I had the latest version of QuickTime.  Trying to burn froze the program quickly as well.

(I didn't find "scratch disk" setting, but both of my HDD had over 300 Gb available.)

Finally decided to take a simpler route.  I saved the presentation to a different name, then deleted all the photos.  I think I still had problems rendering, but decided to give it a shot and hit the burn button.  And it seems to have worked, as the process completed, told me it was done, and kicked the disc out.  I haven't tried it in a regular Bluray player yet. 

So regardless of the "System Requirements," which I thought I met, I'm thinking that my computer just isn't powerful enough, at least as it is currently configured.  So what should I do about it?

Would an upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 help enough?  If upgrading to Windows 7, 32- or 64-bit?  In the PE11 package, I think I read that in a 64-bit environment, PE11 runs in a 32-bit compatibility mode (or something like that).  If that is so, is there any reason to upgrade to 64-bit? 

Or should I start from scratch, and buy/build a new Windows7 system that will blow far past the minimum requirements?  If so, 32- or 64-bit?  In the past, I've heard too many horror stories about upgrading from one version of Windows to a newer one, but haven't heard anything, good or bad, about going from Vista to 7. 

Thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the update.

Unfortunately, Adobe's Minimum System Requirements are very light. They are basically for launching the program, but not really using it. Many of us have made that complaint to the Marketing Department at Adobe, but they always seem to turn a deaf ear.

As for the Still Images, some find that PrE 11 does an adequate job at Scaling overly large Still Images - better than previous versions. However, and be that, as it may, each overly-large Still Image saps resources.

Going back a few years, and a few versions, I did some tests with using very large Still Images. While I do not recall the PrE version now, the files were barely within the maximum size, that PrE could handle. All was good through four of these very large Images, but when I added # 5, the laptop choked. As a backup test, I used PrPro on my workstation, which had much, much more power. I got to # 5, and all was still OK, but # 6 brought the workstation to its knees. To complete that test, I employed Adobe After Effects, which uses different methods of handling overly large Still Images.

In those tests, each of my computers exceeded the Adobe Minimum System Requirements by about 100x.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Please help: cannot burn to disk due to transcoding errors?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob67103

Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. Windows 32 bit will not be to your advantage. I have both Windows 7 or 8 64 bit and no horror stories to report, except the Windows 8 64 bit takes some time to adjust to. But Premiere Elements 11 and all my projects (Blu-ray or otherwise) work very well on either.

This is the story.

Premiere Elements 11 will be a 64 bit application when it is installed on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer. As such it can take full advantage of the 64 bit system resources which allow for a greater maximum supported installed RAM (greater than 4 GB). This 64 bit advantage does not always translate into faster, more often a multitasking perk. BUT, many have reported that the advantage goes to getting the larger project taken to a successful edit/export more often than not.

If that same Premiere Elements 11 were installed on a 32 bit system, then it would be a 32 bit application with all the limitations of 32 bit.

Bottom line: Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit would give you an advantage for your Blu-ray projects.

The same recommendations still hold about photo sizing, but you may be able to break the recommendations now and then depending on your upgraded computer resources and the "how many" "how large" factors with regard to the assets that exceed the classical sizing for SD and HD projects.

In your present situation, I would double check to make sure that you have optimized your workflow as much as possible. Keep an eye on computer maintenance...pile ups in the Adobe Folder's previews and conformed audio (cfa and pek files) as well as the conformed video in another location (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media). Again, make sure that the Scratch Files are all directed to a hard drive location with enough free space to accept them (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks). Run ccleaner (regular and registry) for computer optimization purposes. Definitely consider incorporating supplemental hard drive(s) into your setup to handle the project assets including Scratch Disks and videos. I would suggest at least 8 GB of installed RAM...check to see what the max. the computer motherboard will except along with what the memory people are selling for memory module size.

Please review. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR