8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2013 4:02 PM by A.T. Romano

Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)

kerasmom

Hello!!! I followed the instructions provided for the initial set up of the Smart Sound system, but when I can't find the setup.exe in the extracted files! . Can someone assist? I am trying to make a youtube video with a bit of music. Thanks

• 1. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kerasmom

Please clarify.

I have not setup a fresh install of Premiere Elements lately (but I am in the process of doing that now for some special troubleshooting on another matter) so I am going on my recollection of SmartSound functionality in a fresh install on a computer that has never seen SmartSound. I am an Elements Windows user. What is your computer operating system?

My recollection is nothing to do  in the way of SmartSound to download, just open Premiere Elements and click on the SmartSound feature and open as per screen instructions. So, I do not see how a setup.exe file enters into the picture. So, I ask

a. Are you trying to find and use the free soundtracks that come with Premiere Elements SmartSound feature?

or

b. Are you in the process of buying additional SmartSound soundtracks from within the feature in Premiere Elements?

In my Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, the major SmartSound folders and files are (remember to have Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active)

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Smart Sound Software

the Common Data Folder in the Smart Sound Software Folder contains among other things the ReadMe.txt file..

Local Disk C

Program Data

SmartSound Software Inc

and the Sound Files Folder in the SmartSound Software Inc Folder contain among other things the music files.

Please review and then we can decide what next. I should have more recent contact with this matter first hand later this evening.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
            kerasmom Level 1

Hey everyone! I started playing around with the extracted files, and I found where the download was located. Now another question. I hope I am overlooking the number of songs that are available with the software. I counted only 10 automatic songs and the rest I would have to purchase. Am I seeing right? I just remember I had more options with the older versions of Elements. Thanks

• 3. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kerasmom

Bottom line: 10 free SmartSound soundtracks for Premiere Elements 11 Windows according to my count and my study

The rest of the story:

When you were talking about download, were you referring to the following Adobe Tech Note?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/installing-smartsound.html

I have so many versions of Premiere Elements on the same computer is got difficult to tell which SmartSound soundtracks were contributed by which version as I added the latest version to the computer and did not uninstall any earlier ones.

But, I did go after the answer in a big way and came to the conclusion that Premiere Elements 11 Windows on a computer that had never seen Premiere Elements before has 10 free SmartSound that came with Premiere Elements 11 Windows. My SmartSound exploration and discoveries are in a February 2013 at another forum that I no longer visit or answer questions at. So, if any questions about the thread, please ask me here at Adobe Premiere Elements Forum

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77091

Thanks.

ATR.

• 4. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
                kerasmom Level 1

Hi A.T. and thanks for your help!!!

When I mentioned download, I was talking about saving the zip smartsound file to my computer, extracting it then going through the files to find the 'setup.exe' icon to start using the program. For some reason, my files didn't have 'setup.exe' just various files that said setup. I looked at the one with the most mb/kb and chose it and thankfully, it was the correct file!!!

I am slightly disappointed that this version has limited the musical options available for nonpurchase. I don't know if I will purchase tracks because I remember it being difficult in the past to reuse previously purchased songs for other videos.

• 5. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is what it should look like:

smartsound installatie.png

• 6. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you could get that count.

I have so many versions of Sonicfire Pro (4, 5 and 5 Scoring Edition), and SmartSound QuickTracks, that I could never have done that. While most of my SmartSound music files are on an external HDD, there are still enough of the "included" music, that I do not recall what came with what. With those various SmartSound programs, I have 65 .SDS (SmartSound Music) files.

Now, SmartSound does offer free music, from time to time, and all one has to do, is sign up. The lineup appears to change periodically, so it might pay to check back, from time to time. One user said that when he went to the free music page, it was ONLY what was included in PrE: http://www.smartsound.com/royalty-free-music/free.html/

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I did not realize that SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro for PrE had so few music files. When I first encountered SmartSound, with Pinnacle 6 (IIRC), there were about 20 pieces, but that was so very long ago. It only took me a few uses, to realize that I needed much more, and now have about 3/4 of their total library, and use that music for most productions. This article goes into more detail on SmartSound: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5316359#5316359

You mention that in earlier versions, you had difficulties "reusing previously purchased songs for other videos." Do you recall those problems?

I have a few dozen SmartSound pieces that are especially useful for DVD/BD Menu music, as those pieces have a great deal of repetition, are instrumental and can fit well, one Menus, as the user is not aware that they have actually encountered a different audio file, when changing Menus. I reuse those over and over, and have never had an issue.

Above, I mentioned the SmartSound free music. I want to mention that once one registers their Sonicfire Pro, they will receive notices of sales on much of the music librarty. Some "sales" are not all that good, but some (especially a big one, near the end of the year), can have some great deals. Since I have so much of their music, I do not watch the sales, like I once did, but in most cases, everything that I bought over the years, WAS on sale, and at pretty good savings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Having issues with downloading smart sound (PrE 11)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Until I had to face the issue for another user head on, I realized how difficult it was for me to give an exact count for each versions. Keep in mind, by the time I got to version 11, there were already on that Windows 7 64 bit computer: Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, and 10.

How I figured out Premiere Elements 11 was offering 10 and not 26 or 32 or other is detailed in the link posted in post #3 of this thread.

Another surprise was the Zip File for the SmartSound installer and Premiere Elements 11 back then in February 2013. The presence of so many other Premiere Elements versions with each's SmartSound soundtrack contributions on this same computer masked the need for me to use that download.

ATR