9 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2013 2:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Movie menu missing

NScott1

Adobe premiere elements 11. When publishing a movie to the computer there is no movie menu at the beginning. It goes straight into the movie

• 1. Re: Movie menu missing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

NScotti

Except for Publish+Share/web DVD, there are no menus for exporting the Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive (such as Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD, AVI, etc).

So, I would ask what export are you referring to when you wrote:

When publishing a movie to the computer there is no movie menu at the start.

The movie menu is for webDVD which is in reality a flash file with menu, DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc.

Please review and supply more details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Movie menu missing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with ATR on this matter.

However, we are seeing more and more requests for Menus and navigation in Exported/Shared files. It seems that some programs CAN add Menus and navigation in certain media files, played with certain media players, and most of those seem to be versions of MOV files for the Mac. If this is something that you need, and have a player that can take Menus and navigation, one of the Mac forums might be helpful in getting recs. for other programs, that CAN provide the Menus and navigation for you. I just do not know of any such programs, but others have commented that they can do that - just without useful recs. and only complaints that Premiere cannot do it.

On the PC side of the street, I do not recall any users jumping in with "I can do that with ____ " but that does not mean that there are NOT PC programs, that can accomplish the task. I also do not know of any PC player, that handles Menus and navigation, but that could just be my personal lack of knowledge.

Good luck, and if you do need those functions, and find programs that will provide it to you, please update this thread, as I know that I would like to learn something new.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Movie menu missing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

There is one aspect that I did not address in my reply to NScotti1 especially since computer playback was mentioned and the VLC Media Player is a popular computer player.

That is, that some players may not support playback of menus whereas they will support the video portion.

I have run into that in the past with the VLC Media Player. I never did follow that up to determine if the was because it did not allow for DVD menu playback or whether there was a specific VLC Media Player setting that I needed to set for that option.

I do not currently have the VLC player installed, but I need to follow up on that angle. But NScotti's details should help us define the situation better.

As always, the answers are in the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Movie menu missing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Whenever I have had the need for Menus and navigation, in playback on a computer, I have just done a Burn to Folder, and used a DVD software player, such as CyberLink, or MediaPlayer Classic HC, to play the VIDEO_TS folder with the IFO, BUP and VOB files inside. An alternative to that would be to deliver an ISO file, but one cannot do that directly out of PrE. They would do a Burn to Folder (creating that VIDEO_TS folder, mentioned above), and then a utility, such as ImgBurn to convert to an ISO. The other dowside is that one needs a utility to handle that ISO file on the receiving end, to be able to directly play it.

Not quite so neat has having a single AV file with Menu and navigation, but the end result is the same.

As for VLC, I have it on my computer. If you let me know what needs to be tested, I will do that for you. OTOH, I have never had one issue with it, and do recommend it as a viable player.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Movie menu missing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks.

I just downloaded and installed the VLC Media Player version 2.0.6 (assumed the latest version), and, without any settings adjustments to the installed program, it played back Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc created with menus with the menus included with the video/audio in the playback.

I went looking for the related settings in the VLC player.

Media Menu

Open (Advanced)

Disc Tab

There I found it "dotted" for DVD, and there was an unchecked option for No Disc Menus.

Now I am wondering if this could be the OP's problem if using the VLC Media Player with that No Disc Menus checked???

So, now I am not sure if my prior observations about no menu playback with VLC player was specific to an earlier version or whether I did have the No Disc Menus option set appropriately. If I recall, I think that I found the VLC no disc menu playback confirmed online. Maybe that other person and I both missed the No Disc Menus check??

What version of the VLC player do you have?

ATR

• 6. Re: Movie menu missing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good information. While I have VLC Player, I use my CyberLink DVD player, or my MediaPlayer Classic HC player most often. I cannot recall ever using VLC (sure mine is older version, as I do not recall updating it in years) for VIDEO_TS playback, but will test, and probably take the time to update too.

Thanks for sharing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Movie menu missing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

The VLC player had sort of gone out of favor with me because of this menu matter as well as its video conversion feature giving me lots of problems. I cannot remember which version that I had at the time. I intend to give the VLC player another look at.

ATR

• 8. Re: Movie menu missing
                        NScott1 Level 1

Thanks for your replies. (Using Windows 7) Initially I tried to create the movie in HD on a blu-ray dicsc. It went through thr process and said it was burning to the disc. It got to 99% and then it said there was a "Device failure"

So I  saved the movie to the computer in a MP4 H264 1920x1080p 30. I then was able to create a Blu-ray disc copy using 'Express Burn' thus allowing me to play it in a blu-ray player but minus the Movie Menu.

• 9. Re: Movie menu missing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

NScott1

Thanks for the additional information.

As you realize now, if you are using the Premiere Elements export MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 as your source for the burn to Blu-ray in Expess Burn, you will not get menus because the Premiere Elements does not export files to the hard drive with menus. Only exception being webDVD (flash file with menus) as I said before. I can assume that this Express Burn does not offer menus?

Have you troubleshooted your burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc with troubleshooting as described in the following Adobe Tech Note

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-burning.htm l

I have seen speed of burn in combination with DVD disc mentioned as part of the Device Failure syndrome. Have you access to another burner or other DVD types or brands?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR