10 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2013 7:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Crop doesn't render properly

stephedi

Hi,

I just did a project with Adobe Premiere Elemenets 11, and I have issues with the crop effect:

- In the preview panel, the effect seems to work perfectly. The preview corresponds exactly to the settings I applied to the crop effect.

- But after I publish the video (either local file or Youtube, doesn't make a difference, the bottom crop setting is screwed up)

In Adobe preview:

ap11.jpg

After publishing:

Final result.jpg

Any clue of what could happen?

• 1. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
          stephedi Level 1

Quick update: I just found that by using different publishing settings, my video is now perfect.

So as summary here are the publish settings I tried and the corresponding result:

- Adobe Flash Video (FLV, 784x576, 25 i/s) -> bad result

- Youtube vide (H.264, 640x480, 25 i/s) -> bad result

- MPEG (HDTV 1080p PAL - MPEG2, 1920x1080, 25 i/s) -> good result

It seems like there is an issue with the Adobe Premiere publishing settings...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
            A.T. Romano Level 7

stephedi2

We have just gone through this type of matter with another person. He presented floating problems in the export to YouTube. I could not confirm his results.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5309928

I am not sure what the status of his issue is at the present time.

So let us look at your specific situation.of black borders and floats.

Are you working as NTSC or PAL. It would think PAL.

a. What is your Premiere Elements 11 project preset? Did you set it (File/New/Project) or did you let the program take control to set it. Please look to Edit Menu/Project Settings to determine what project settings are being used by the project.

b. What are the properties of your source media (video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio, ). If you do not know, then please try to get a properties readout from the free program named MediaInfo.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

I see .mov and .mts files in there. And, it looks like the crop was applied to the .mts on Video 5.

Even though you say that it does not matter what your export is (save to file on hard drive or upload to YouTube), please give the specifics settings and related details for either route that left you with the problem. That would seem critical information in the troubleshooting.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Please indicate if I have misinterpreted any part of your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
              A.T. Romano Level 7

stephedi2

Thanks for the follow up.

I did not see your update until after I had prepared my reply and posted it.

I suspect that your issues go to the project setup with the appropriate project settings as well as the appropriate export settings.

We can discuss that further with more details as mentioned in my prior reply.

But, congratulations on obtaining a successfull export.

ATR

• 4. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
                stephedi Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Here are a few answers:

a. I started this project as a brand new project in the evaluation version of Premiere Elements (and I activated the licence since).

Project settings: mode = DSLR, base = 23.976 i/s, size = 1920x1080, square pixels, no frame, display = 24 i/s, title 20% horizontal 20% vertical, action 10% horizontal 10% vertical, 48kHz,...

b. I have different video inputs. At the time of the example above, I have 3 .MTS files (MPEG 1920x1080, 29.97 i/s, audio 48kHz) and 1 .MOV file, not supposed to appear on screen (MPEG, 1920x1080, 23.976 i/s, audio 48kHz).

Does it help you?

• 5. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

stephedi

Your latest information was very helpful especially along with your prior details

So as summary here are the publish settings I tried and the corresponding result:

- Adobe Flash Video (FLV, 784x576, 25 i/s) -> bad result

- Youtube vide (H.264, 640x480, 25 i/s) -> bad result

- MPEG (HDTV 1080p PAL - MPEG2, 1920x1080, 25 i/s) -> good result

I suspect that the reason for your problem was you trying to export a 16:9 Timeline using 4:3 presets.

Please check out the export of your Timeline with other exports using a 16:9 preset, for 1920 x 1080 16:9 or 1280 x 720 16:9.

I will post screenshots of the export settings dialogs under the Advanced Button/Video Tab for other export choices if requested.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
                    stephedi Level 1

I just tried with a Youtube 16:9 preset: PAL, 640x360 -> the video was correctly rendered.

So yes, it seems Premiere Elements has some issues to deal with the crop effects on a 16:9 video when the final result is 4:3...

I hope Adobe can correct this in future updates.

• 7. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stephedi

Thanks for the good news that the cause of the problem has been identified and that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

If you have the time, please take the Crop Effect out of the equation and look at the results when you take your 16:9 Timeline to a 4:3 export. I am curious to find out if you would find those results acceptable or whether it is just the Crop Effect that gets messed up under those circumstances.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
                        stephedi Level 1

Sorry I don't think I will take the extra time, I already spent too many hours on this video editing project, it will wait for a next time...

Thanks anyway for your quick replies.

- stephedi

PS: If Premiere Elements was a freeware / open source project, I would gladly take the extra time and do it. But in this case I paid my licence and I am not employed by Adobe -> maybe some Adobe employee can take the time to correctly test the software?

• 9. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

To date, I have had no issues with the Crop Effect, but then I use it in more limited situation.

I am also creating, editing and Exporting/Sharing the same Aspect Ratio material, so if I start with 16:9, or 4:3, those are my Export/Share settings. I have not had a Project, where the client needed me to do otherwise, so might well be missing a limitation, or Bug.

Though I am not anticipating any Adobe participation, this late in the release life of PrE 11, it would be nice to get some engineering feedback. This forum does not see THAT much Adobe participation, and what we do see, is usually right at the release of a new version - about every 12 mos. in Sept/Oct.

Good luck, and hope that you have been successful in Publishing most of your Projects to the desired format, and Aspect Ratio.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Crop doesn't render properly
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

stephedi

Thanks for the reply.

I am not employed by or affiliated with Adobe in any way. Do not know if I had mentioned that previous. I am just a user of the program like you. This is essentially a user to user forum.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to take a quick look at doing what you wrote that you did. I tried to maintain the detail set that you presented to see what results I would get. I could not confirm your results with my mini model setup and my theory about your issue core going to 16:9 project to 4:3 export with and without Crop. All seems "logical" in the resizing during encoding. However, to my surprise, the results looked very good and no floating people. (I tried the FLV 784 x 576 with playback on the VLC player. Also did a PAL MPEG 720 x 756.

So, there may be more factors involved in what appeared to be a straight forward cause and effect. But the bottom line for you is that you are moving forward with your project.

But if you do revisit this floating issue again even with use of the 1920 x 1080 export settings, we may have to go deeper into your project details if you wish to pursue the matter here further. That will be up to you.

Best wishes in your projects.

ATR