4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 5:02 PM by Steven L. Gotz

CS6: Adding Sequences to Sequences

al_bergstein Level 1

I've been working on an hour long production, which is my first major long form documentary in Pr CS6. I've been going along created sequences within the project for all the short "chapters". Now I'm ready to assemble into one full one hour production.

I notice that importing a sequence (nesting) into another sequence does not bring the audio with it. Not sure why that is. I assumed that if I import a sequence, (it shows up green) that the sequence can't be edited in the sequence it is imported into but that if I have to edit it I can go back to the primary sequence and edit it there and the changes will flow through. Is there a problem with audio importation? -

Ok. It appears that I needed to render the audio track. It still leaves me with the question below.

What is the best practice on this kind of project? Nested sequences or something else? . What is the normal way of handling this kind of assembly? Do most of you nest your sequences or cut and paste?

Any best practices here?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, this is on Windows 7.

• 1. Re: CS6: Adding Sequences to Sequences
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I believe that the most common answer is nested sequences.

In my case I have sequences nested within sequences nested within sequences, just for one scene. Then I take all of the sequences and put them on the same timeline to create the long form video.

In fact, mine looks like that for a 3 minutes piece.

The reason I had time to answer this question is that I am rendering a sequence within a sequence right now.

• 2. Re: CS6: Adding Sequences to Sequences
            al_bergstein Level 1

Thanks Steven. If that's the best way to approach it, I'll do that. I assume that if I update the nested sequence, I'll get an update on the sequence where it has been nested. I'll explore that more myself. Thanks

• 3. Re: CS6: Adding Sequences to Sequences
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Al Bergstein wrote:

? Do most of you nest your sequences or cut and paste?

Any best practices here?

Based on experience with earlier versions i tend to copy paste rather use nested sequences in a master sequence especially in long projects.

Just to avoid export getting stuck on a nested sequence.

I think its a sort of trial and error: export with nested sequences. If it gets stuck; copy/paste.

• 4. Re: CS6: Adding Sequences to Sequences
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

On the other hand, I use sequences in other sequences to enable use of the adjustment layer on specific tracks. All you have to do to get to the original is doubleclick on the nested sequence. And if that has a nested sequence, drill down into that by doubleclicking.

It is rather like a precomp in Ae.