7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 5:10 AM by The Old Fart

Consolidating catalogs & backups

The Old Fart Level 1

I gather by reading some of the posts in this forum that should be possible to merge old catalogs, into one new one   as to consolidate picture locations into one.

If this is correct can I do the following without problems.  I have Version 11 waiting to install.  I have reorganized my PC & have some old catalogs,sometimes on different drives,as well as possible some stray pictures on them as well.

I was thinking of installing the new software & create a new catalog from scratch.  I could then refer setup to the most recent version 10 catalog & have it import & upgrade it to 11.  Once this done I could refer the program to older catalogs, & import them one at a time. 

Can one if necessary restore a backup in lieu of a catalogue as well if necessary? If the program can update from these catalogs & backups as  well will it create duplicates or just refer to the pictures being in the catalog already?

Can the program then do a search to find any other pictures that aren't in any catalog & add them in as well?

If I then end up with one consolidated catalogue  that contains all pictures everywhere I think that a new backup might be in order. Any catalogue created this way would still result with pictures scattered across drives?  I have lots of space available so backups aren't a problem.  Do I move all files onto one drive first or would it be better to do so from the consolidated catalog & then move all pictures to one location?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Consolidating catalogs & backups
          dj_paige Level 10

I gather by reading some of the posts in this forum that should be possible to merge old catalogs, into one new one   as to consolidate picture locations into one.

I'm not sure what you have been reading, but you cannot merge catalogs in PSE.

Having said that, I don't think the rest of your plans are doable either.

The closest you can come to merging catalogs is to have PSE write the tags and other properties into the photo files themselves (or in the case of RAW photos, to sidecar files). Then you could import everything into a single catalog, and the tags and other metadata should appear. However, there are pieces of information in the catalog that will never wind up into the new catalog via this method. Things like albums, version sets, stacks, creations and a few other things that I can't remember right now will not ever be written to the files, and so will not show up when you import into a new catalog. However, on the plus side, this eliminates the problem of having photos on different drives (although I don't really consider that a problem), you could write the tags to all the photos, then move all the photos to one drive and then import. Also, having a single catalog is usually better than having multiple catalogs. So the choice is yours. Advantages and disadvantages.

Side note: true merging of catalogs is available in Lightroom, but of course that assumes you are willing to use Lightroom, which comes with a whole different set of learnings you would need, and of course requires payment of actual cash to Adobe.

• 2. Re: Consolidating catalogs & backups
            The Old Fart Level 1

If I just Import all pictures & I am left with tags & EXIF data can the program detect duplicates?

• 3. Re: Consolidating catalogs & backups
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From what you have written in other posts, I suppose you practically did not use tagging or other organization features like albums or stacks ?

If that is the case, in my opinion, you don't need to bother with old catalogs or backups. Your migration should be able to :

1 - create a new catalog in the PSE11 format from your current main catalog : it's the conversion process which does not change anything to your present older PSE version. No picture files are copied or moved, only a new different catalog is created. You keep both PSE versions and both catalog versions.

2 - import all pictures not included in your present catalog, even if they are on different drives.

Can the program then do a search to find any other pictures that aren't in any catalog & add them in as well?

Yes, of course. With the current catalog active, you use the menu 'get files from files or folders'. You can get files from external drives (USB, CD, DVDs...) You have the choice to do so in PSE11 after the conversion, or before in your previous PSE version.

If I then end up with one consolidated catalogue  that contains all pictures everywhere I think that a new backup might be in order. Any catalogue created this way would still result with pictures scattered across drives?  I have lots of space available so backups aren't a problem.  Do I move all files onto one drive first or would it be better to do so from the consolidated catalog & then move all pictures to one location?

Absolutely : do a backup when the catalog is up to date.

You can move pictures to a single drive before or after the above job provided you move your folders from the organizer in folder view. Since the PSE11 interface has been changed a lot, you should be more at ease by doing so before the above conversion process.

The additional advantage of a full backup is that you can restore it easily to another computer or drive. If you choose the option to restore to 'custom' location, stating a master folder, various drives will be copied as new folders in the new drive. In that case, you don't need to move the files from the external drive. The restore puts them on the destination drive, with different drives showing as different folder trees.

• 4. Re: Consolidating catalogs & backups
                dj_paige Level 10

From what you have written in other posts, I suppose you practically did not use tagging or other organization features like albums or stacks ?

If this is true, why would the original poster bother doing all the work of creating a new catalog, and why would the original poster bother using the Organizer at all?

Why not just use the operating system to organize? It's much simpler. Less work. No restrictions. (And there are 3rd party utilities that can find duplicates)

• 5. Re: Consolidating catalogs & backups
                  The Old Fart Level 1

Thanks for suggestions.  I note that I should be able to add video's, music etc to catalog as well. I could not image say having all MP3's in it in lieu of iTunes or with video clips because there are so many.  I suppose it might be good to add them to the cataloge & then turn them off when unneeded.  I have used the Organizer in the past to open lots of video clips for renaming them then deleting them from the catalog.

This would make backup very large. I have even considered putting a backup only a R/W blu-ray disc (25GB) assuming that this is allowed?  I even had a friend joke that I could just copy the entire Windows pictures tree onto a micro sd card for displaying on my Tablet.  If this were possible it would take forever to transfer the data.  On the other hand it would give you yet another backup & you can't have too many of these.

• 6. Re: Consolidating catalogs & backups
                    dj_paige Level 10

I suppose it might be good to add them to the cataloge & then turn them off when unneeded.  I have used the Organizer in the past to open lots of video clips for renaming them then deleting them from the catalog.

None of this makes any sense to me.

If you add some items to the catalog, there is no way to "turn them off".

Furthermore, using the Organizer to rename your video clips ... why don't you just save yourself a lot of work and rename them in your operating system?

Are you now, or planning to, make use of keywords and other metadata in your PSE catalog? Or is your entire organizing based on folders or file names?

• 7. Re: Consolidating catalogs & backups
                      The Old Fart Level 1

Instead of saying turn them off I should have said make "hidden".