5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 4:02 AM by VDOSurfer

How to get clips to appear in good quality when editing?

waywardmuse

I worked with PE over a decade ago when I had a PC.  In 2008 I migrated to Apple -- specifcally desktop Intel duo-processor Mac, OS X Snow Lion 10.6.8.  So regretably I was forced to leave PE behind and begin using Final Cut Express 4.0.1.   Recently I bought a new HD camera so I thought it was a good time to return to PE 11 since the program is now being made for Macs too.  (I had missed the Organizer tremendously!)  Before working with my new camera however, I could not resist importing some old standard definition clips into a timeline to play around with.  Well they look horrible in the viewer -- all pixelated and poor quality!  I selected the clips, pressed render and nothing happened.  I am used to automatic rendering when editing in FCE so that what you see in the viewer is what you get, of course unless you run into compression issues later on.  But I need to see what I'm editing and can't do that with this poor quality.  So what is the problem?   The clips are all in .mp4 or .mov format.  The .mp4 clips were shot with a Panasonic SDR-H85P in that format and the .mov clip was converted from DV footage on a tape recorded with a Canon ZR900. 

Also, I am used to seeing and working on a minutia level -- sometimes frame by frame with a "blade" tool in FCE.  I switched to expert view but still can't tell where 1 frame ends and another begins.  Is there an easy way to do that?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: How to get clips to appear in good quality when editing?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

waywardmuse

Also, I am used to seeing and working on a minutia level -- sometimes frame by frame with a "blade" tool in FCE.  I switched to expert view but still can't tell where 1 frame ends and another begins.  Is there an easy way to do that?

I will go into more detail if you like tomorrow, but what you might want to look into the following to get your frame look..

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Display format setting for Frames.

Also, consider that the video tracks have an opened and closed configuration and, in addition, each video track has Video Track Display Style (See Filmstrip Icon to left of "Video 1" for example. You toggle that icon for 4 possible choices

a. just vertical dark line running across clip

b. all thumbnails

c. just one thumbnail at beginning of clip and one thumbnail at end of clip

d. just one thumbnail at beginning of clip

We hope that some of the above targeted your questions. We will watch for your follow up in the light of day.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I am coming from an Elements Windows perspective. Essentially the Mac and Windows versions of Premiere Elements are similar, but there are  differences.

• 2. Re: How to get clips to appear in good quality when editing?
            VDOSurfer Level 3

When you say "they look horrible in the viewer", do you mean the monitor? If so, check if the clip settings match the project settings. Doing this is easy. With nothing on the timeline, just bring in one of the clips and then see if there is a switch (a slight flicker of the UI and it is done). After this, cehck the project settings and see if it matches the clip settings.

Another thing you could do if these are all fine is to add a clip, right click on the monitor, and set the playback settings to "Highest". This should improve the playback quality to the best possible.

If this does not happen check if there is a "Orange Line" on top of the clips to see if the clips actually require rendering. If there is a line, please let us know the project settings (Edit -> Project Settings -> General) and the clip settings through a free tool called "Mediainfo"

• 3. Re: How to get clips to appear in good quality when editing?
              waywardmuse Level 1

Thank you for your helpful answer.   Regarding frame view, I found the options you indicated.  However, I think my issue has more to do with "timeline view" if you will.   For example, in Final Cut, you could press "option +" several times to "lengthen" the timeline which in turn would "stretch" out each frame to an extent necessary to make really precise edits on a minutia scale.  Then in order to "compress" it so you could see the entire timeline on the computer screen, pressing "option -" several times would bring it back down to that size which was handy for seeing exactly where all your other effects on other timelines were arranged.  Does that make sense?  Is there a way to do that in PE 11?   It's zooming in and  out of the timeline essentially in order to see more of the detail while editing. 

Regarding the poor quality of playback, I was able to correct the problem by setting the playback settings to "highest."  That was a relief.   Also the clip properties did match the project properties, but if I had wanted to change project properties, I don't think I could have because so many of the options remained blanked out or unavailable -- all light in color not allowing me to access them.  Don't know what the term for that is but you probably know what I mean.  So does that mean that project properties are always automatically determined or must they be preset somehow?  Any direction on that issue would be helpfui because I also work with infrared clips a lot from a Bushnell camcorder and often combine those with regular video clips.  What is going to happen then?  Again, thanks so much for your help! 

• 4. Re: How to get clips to appear in good quality when editing?
                waywardmuse Level 1

Thank you for your helpful answer.   Regarding frame view, I found the  options you indicated.  However, I think my issue has more to do with  "timeline view" if you will.   For example, in Final Cut, you could  press "option +" several times to "lengthen" the timeline which in turn  would "stretch" out each frame to an extent necessary to make really  precise edits on a minutia scale.  Then in order to "compress" it so you  could see the entire timeline on the computer screen, pressing "option  -" several times would bring it back down to that size which was handy  for seeing exactly where all your other effects on other timelines were  arranged.  Does that make sense?  Is there a way to do that in PE 11?    It's zooming in and  out of the timeline essentially in order to see  more of the detail while editing. 

Regarding  the poor quality of playback, I was able to correct the problem by  setting the playback settings to "highest."  That was a relief.   Also  the clip properties did match the project properties, but if I had  wanted to change project properties, I don't think I could have because  so many of the options remained blanked out or unavailable -- all light  in color not allowing me to access them.  Don't know what the term for  that is but you probably know what I mean.  So does that mean that  project properties are always automatically determined or must they be  preset somehow?  Any direction on that issue would be helpfui because I  also work with infrared clips a lot from a Bushnell camcorder and often  combine those with regular video clips.  What is going to happen then?   Again, thanks so much for your help! 

• 5. Re: How to get clips to appear in good quality when editing?
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

Click on the timline, anywhere and then press + or minus to zoom in or out in Premiere Elements!

Project properties are automatically determined, but you can override it by going to a new project (File -> New Project) and then clicking on a "Force selected project..." checkbox under "Change Settings" button. Now select the "Change Settings" button and choose the project that you want. This should apply.

Regarding mixing, there are experts who can help you with that. I can only give you the theory of how I think it will work, I do not do a lot of mixing clips from different camera sources personally. However, I can tell you that the output format, quality and resolution should be the deciding factor when you are mixing clips with different properties.