5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 8:50 AM by Guy Burns

How to drag multiple layers to a new tab?

Guy Burns Level 1

I want to drag multiple adjustment layers, typically four with default masks but no masking has been applied, from one document to another. I have read several articles about this, but no method works reliably for me. I running CS6.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How to drag multiple layers to a new tab?
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know of a simple drop and drag,but I have tried this method in CS6 (Mac) and it does work.

Select layers to be copied in the Layers panel
          Right click on the selected layers.

click Duplicate Layers from the context menu

Select destination as what ever document you have open in PS
          Done

• 2. Re: How to drag multiple layers to a new tab?
            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, you cannot drag from the layers panel, this has been requested several times already.

BUT, you can do it from the document itself. The explanation seems long, but it is an easy finger gym, once you've done it a few times.

You can switch temporarily to the move tool by holding the CTRL key (on a PC, CMD on a Mac).

Right-click when doing so gives you a list of the layers located under the cursor.

You can then target a first adjustment layer.

Continue holding CTRL or CMD, and add the SHIFT key. (Usually, Shift means "add" in Photoshop and in other programs) and right-click to add other adjustment layers to the targeted list.

Keep holding the CTRL(PC)/CMD(Mac) key, and drag the targeted layers to the tab of the other document, wait for Photoshop to switch to that one, and release the mouse on top of your canvas. (holding the shift key ensures centering of the layers)

Basically, CTRL+SHIFT+Right-click on a PC, CTRL+CMD+SHIFT on a Mac, then CTRL+drag.

You can remove the CTRL/CMD key if you switch to the move tool altogether.

• 3. Re: How to drag multiple layers to a new tab?
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

gener7 wrote:

I don't know of a simple drop and drag,but I have tried this method in CS6 (Mac) and it does work.

Select layers to be copied in the Layers panel
              Right click on the selected layers.

click Duplicate Layers from the context menu

Select destination as what ever document you have open in PS
              Done

Cool tip gener7.  One of these days I am going to take the time to go right through the menus, and context menus, to discover all those little things that have been there for ages, but I was always in too much of a rush to notice. 

• 4. Re: How to drag multiple layers to a new tab?
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Yes, I forgot  to add"besides the excellent method provided by Gener7" on my first line.

• 5. Re: How to drag multiple layers to a new tab?
                  Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks gener7. That's the solution.

I'd like to know the answer to two things that I came across while playing with dragging layers. And they are not readily repeatable, but they definitely did exist for a while.

1. Most of the time I can drag multiple layers from a Source image (tabbed) to an Destination image (not tabbed). But I gave up on that today (thus my post) because sometimes when I did so, the layers in the Destination suddenly had a mask applied to a part of the layer, so that the adjustment layers only worked on part of the Destination image. Given that no mask was in the Source layers, where did this mask come from?

2. Sometimes when I dragged a layer from one tabbed image to another, I would see a pale-orange wash sweep from the right to the left of the image as I dragged the layer. What was that?