6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 7:48 AM by Settemand

Sync Music audio with Video Audio PE10

Settemand

Hi.

I am new to Premiere elements 10 (Changed from Corel to Adobe, so i'm not new to video editing, but I'm not used to PE10).

I am filming a lot of my daughters Circus performances, so very often I find the music number used at the performance and merge that with the video audio in the project.

But I have a problem syncing the music from the audio track on the video with the seperate music track.

So to specify: I want both Audio tracks running at the same time, so that I keep the clapping and the whisteling from the audience, but get the better quality of the music from the external file merged with the music in the video-audio-clip.

Is there a special tool or can someone help me with a special tecnique?

Regards Settemand

• 1. Re: Sync Music audio with Video Audio PE10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There's no trick or special tool for doing this, Settemand. You just need to zoom in on the timeline and line up the waveforms on both tracks.

It will help if you can spot an obvious sound on the waveform -- like a loud bang or drum beat -- that you can use to align the two clips.

• 2. Re: Sync Music audio with Video Audio PE10
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Settemand

I am not sure if you would consider this a tool for your purposes but consider this for your project goals in Premiere Elements 10.

Given that you have audio on Audio 1 which is unlinked to the video on Video 1 and have music in your Soundtrack.

1. Highlight the Audio 1 clip, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you tap the left or right arrow key. (1 tap = 1 frame move). Then nudge your audio as needed.

2. Highlight the Audio 1 clip, hold down the Shift and Alt keys (together) of the computer main keyboard as you tap the left or right arrow key (1 tap = 5 frame move).

The same types of nudges can be done for the selected/highlighted Soundtrack music.

The above presumes that you have expanded the Timeline with the - + slider over the Timeline in order to get the best possible view of your Timeline Track content and applying enough pressure per tap of arrow key. My keyboard arrow keys are sluggish in this regard unless I give them a vigorous tap.

Please review the above and then let us know if it helps.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Sync Music audio with Video Audio PE10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the instructions offered above, when nudging the Audio, I would make sure that Snap is OFF, as Snap will try to align your Audio with the beginning (Head), or end (Tail), of you Video Clips. That is useful for many editing operations, but for nudging Audio will frustrate you. The Snap function is a toggle with the S key. Just do not forget to turn it back ON, when done.

Also, though the Soundtrack Audio Track seems to be the ideal location for your extra music, some users have experienced issues, when using it, or the Narration Audio Track. While it seems that those issues are Project-specific, and those Tracks often work well, to keep from being tripped up later, I recommend putting your music on a free Audio Track, such as Audio 2 - just to be safe.

Also, with either an Audio, or Video Track, you can Zoom IN/OUT horizontally with the Timeline Zoom slider, AND can also Zoom IN/OUT vertically, by going to the Track's Header (where the Track Name is located), then hovering your cursor over the little line between the Track, until it changes to an equal sign with up/down arrows, then click+drag, to enlarge the Track (and the Clip display) vertically. I find that this makes viewing the Audio Waveform Display easier, and the peaks are more obvious. When done, you can just reverse that operation to Zoom OUT on the Track vertically, so that it looks like it did, before you started.

Good luck, and this FAQ Entry might be useful, though it talks about OOS (Out Of Sync) Audio, the functions are the same for syncing additional Audio: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436751?tstart=0

Hunt

• 4. Re: Sync Music audio with Video Audio PE10
                Settemand Level 1

Hi Steve.

Thanks for quick reply.

This is what I have been using, so I gues there is only the hard way.

Settemand.

• 5. Re: Sync Music audio with Video Audio PE10
                  Settemand Level 1

Hi ATR.

I had a lot of problems finding out how to move it frame by frame, so these hints helps a lot.

Rgds Settemand

• 6. Re: Sync Music audio with Video Audio PE10
                    Settemand Level 1

Hi Bill Hunt.

Thanks for your further hints in do'ing this.

It is very helpfull.

Rgds Settemand