6 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 6:25 AM by Condolezza

Why has export to pdf started to cause ID CS6 to crash?

Condolezza Level 1

I'm running ID 6 - version 8.0.1 on a Windows 7 - 64 bit PC with 16 gbs of ram and a recent problem has started to recur. I'll export to pdf and and the hour glass begins to spin and never stops. When I hit escape and try to close the file, I'll get the screen you see below. The fault module seems to be sort of random because I've seen database.dll and public.dll come up at different times.

The file that I was working on was outputting fine the last time I output it and all I did was edit some of the copy since last time.

Don't know if it's a factor but I'm using a AMD Radeon HD6450 card with a 8.922.0.0 driver.

This has occurred off and on for different files for the past couple of weeks and I'm about to start troubleshooting this particular file by deleting sections.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

IDerrorscreen.jpg

• 1. Re: Why has export to pdf started to cause ID CS6 to crash?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you able to export to .idml? can you do a Save As?

Failure to finish exporting a PDF is usually related to the file itself, often a problem image. If that's the case, it's pretty easy to isolate by doing a divide and conquer elimination test.

Start by trying to export the file in two halves. If both halves export without a problem, this is a cse of not enough system resources and you should combine the two halves into a single file in Acrobat Pro. If either half fails, divide it int two halves and try again, dividing each failure in half until you isolate a page. You can then use the same method to remove objects from the page to isolate a problem object.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why has export to pdf started to cause ID CS6 to crash?
            Condolezza Level 1

Thanks for the quick response Peter. I had a feeling this was the culprit and I'm on my way to narrowing down the problem page. I will say that this has been happening with more than a few files recently which leads me to believe that this version of ID has a higher standard for placed files or I'm getting more funky images from my sources.

• 3. Re: Why has export to pdf started to cause ID CS6 to crash?
              Condolezza Level 1

More clues -- I divided the 46 page document down and down again until it appears that the last page of the document was "corrupted". All that was on the page was a freestanding text block and an eps logo that I've used many times. With that page deleted, it output to a pdf no problem.

Here's where it gets really creepy -- I opened an existing 2 page document that printed OK the last time I opened it, made some corrections to the text and when I exported to pdf, InDesign crashed. I didn't change any of the graphics.

And creepier still. I opened the existing 2 page document, made no changes and when I tried to print, InDesign crashed.

I've spent most of my day troubleshooting this and feel that I'm no closer to a solution. I'm going to try taking the files home and working with them on my home PC. (a little older but similar in setup)

To be continued....

• 4. Re: Why has export to pdf started to cause ID CS6 to crash?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think we may have seen some other reports of "creeping corruption" where a failure to export a PDF then infects any files opened after that failure. Might help to close ID between files.

I'd try replacing that .eps file, too, and see if it helps. If not, export the story in that text frame to ID tagged text, delete the frame, and try placing the story again.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why has export to pdf started to cause ID CS6 to crash?
                  Condolezza Level 1

I'm working at home now on a similar Windows 7 machine and I'm having similar problems. For the record --

I go to - File export to pdf

The spinning Windows 7 wheel starts turning (that's my first clue that something's wrong -- if I'm successful, pdf creation starts in the background)

A message comes up saying - gathering document information (and it sounds like my hard drive is looking for files)

A few moments later message comes up saying Adobe ID has stopped working and it gives me the option to close the program but nothing else.

I tried your suggestion - exporting all the text to tagged format. - I opened a similar file that contained the same linked graphics, that I knew was good, deleted the existing text and poured the tagged text in, no problem.

Then, another wierd symptom -- When I tried to file/export I was asked if I wanted to replace an existing pdf. (There was an existing pdf from a previous attempt.) When I said "yes" it said, "Cannot save to the file "----.pdf", because it is already open.???

I opened Task Manager and neither Acrobat or any pdf is open???

I went to File Manager, deleted the file and tried again to File/Export and voila! I got a good pdf!

I'm used to workarounds and I can use this one for a while but I'm hoping you or others there can get me back to a normal workflow.

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Why has export to pdf started to cause ID CS6 to crash?
                    Condolezza Level 1

Just a follow-up to this problem -- I'm not really sure what happened or changed but for now, (knock on wood), it seems back to normal.

I never was able to grab that cause and effect solution I was looking for although I appreciate your suggestions.

Maybe it goes back to the sure solution for nearly all PC problems: "Turn it off and turn it back on."

Thanks again.