38 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 7:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Burning DVD

Blymyer Level 1

My Premiere Elements 10 (using a 3 year old Dell Core I5 Computer) will not burn a DVD with over 6 chapters of my 5 gig Elements project even though it. goes through the motions, and time without errors.

Is my computer the limiation?

Is Premiere Elements 10 the problem?

Or do I have to burn 2 DVD's spliting my project in two?

• 1. Re: Burning DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you able to burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive?

• 2. Re: Burning DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, I have a few more, please:

1. What is the Duration of your Project's Timeline?
            2. What size blank DVD are you attempting to burn to?
            3. Do you get any error messages?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Burning DVD
              Blymyer Level 1

The same thing happens when burning to a folder

• 4. Re: Burning DVD
                Blymyer Level 1

Thanks for your questions!

I have been working on this for three days, The timeline length is about 65 mins, I used a double layer DVD (8+ gigs).  It will burn a DVD with 6 chapters, but after adding 2 more chapter markers, it goes through the motions (and time) again leaving the DVD blank! 

• 5. Re: Burning DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

What is your computer operating system? Is it Windows 7 or 8 64 bit? If it other than that, your Premiere Elements 10 is running as a 32 bit application with all the limitations of 32 bit.

Premiere Elements 10 should allow you to place maximum 25 menu markers.

So, I see you mention "6 chapters". Please verify the specific type, number, spacing placement of Timeline markers that you are placing on the Premiere Elements 10 Timeline.

What DVD menu are you using and how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages are you seeing for your Disc Menus setup for the project? What does the menus and video portion look like when you preview in the Disc Menus section of the program?

If you supply the above information, I will check your details with my Premiere Elements 10 on Window 7 or 8 64 bit to make sure that there are no surprises in the particular menu you are using or other.

Let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Burning DVD
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information.

With a Duration of 65 mins. you should have no issues burning a DVD-Video, even a single layer disc.

So long as the new Chapter Markers are not too close together, i.e. Chapters too short, that should not be an issue either.

ATR has asked some good questions, and the answers to them might well point up the cause of the problem. Please pay close attention to his questions regarding the Preview of the disc.

One last question, just to get this out of the way, can you tell us about the free-space on your HDD's, and especially the HDD where your Scratch Disks are located?

Good luck, and let us know just a bit more detail, please,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Burning DVD
                      Blymyer Level 1

I really appreciate your reply:

I am using Windows 7

I have 11 sceen markers (6 in the first 10 mins, then 5 in the next hour.

I am using a preset menu, showing a jutbox and 57 Chev.

Thanks, Brad

• 8. Re: Burning DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

I will give that menu and menu marker arrangement a first hand look in my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit to see if I find any unexpected glitches in the workflow.

To be continued.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

Add On...to clarify...

When you say

will not burn a DVD with over 6 chapters of my 5 gig Elements project even though it. goes through the motions, and time without errors.

Are you saying that the DVD-VIDEO burn to fails if 8 menu markers are used, leaving you no DVD-VIDEO at the end of an errorless DVD burn to?

or

Are you saying that the DVD-VIDEO burn to completes but it is only the DVD menu section that has the problem, the video portion is intact?

or

Other?

And what does the Preview look like in the Disc Menus section of the program before the burn to?

• 9. Re: Burning DVD
                          Blymyer Level 1

Thanks ATR

The Premiere program goes through all the steps without an error message

when burning a DVD disc and a also as a DVD file to a disc folder..

However, the last time I tried it, the burn portion went very fast (2 sec),

resulting in a blank DVD disc

Thanks for any help.  I have 123 gigs of free disc space out of 679 gigs.

• 10. Re: Burning DVD
                            Blymyer Level 1

The disc menu section looks normal showing all the configured scenes menus

before the sharing procedure

• 11. Re: Burning DVD
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

I am working on your issue right now.

Just a quick question.

If you take the disc menu and all 11 scene markers out of the project, does the project then burn successfully to DVD VIDEO Widescreen on a DVD disc standard or double layer (single sided) disc? Please verify that point.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Burning DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

There were a few missing pieces to the background information, but this is what I did and the results obtained. The bottom line is for what I did, everything was fine.

Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30

Brought in multiple times  AVCHD.mts files that I had, enough times to give me an 1 hours and about 22 seconds Timeline content. When I got to the burn dialog, the Quality area Space Required reading = 3.84 GB and Bitrate = 8.00 Mbps (I worked with a check mark next to

Fit Content to Available Space.)

I distributed the 11 scene markers as you did over the course of the Timeline. Even stressed it out some by making the scene buttons all motion buttons. (Did you do that also?)

From your description, it appeared that you used the Retro DVD Template which offered 4 scenes per Scene Selection page. So, I ended up with 1 main menu and 3 Scene Selection Pages (page 1, 4 buttons; page 2, 4 buttons; page 3, 3 buttons). As I said, I made them all motion buttons (each with duration of about 5 seconds).

I used a DVD-RW disc spec'd at 4.7 GB/120 seconds. (That 4.7 GB is in reality 4.3 GB).

The burn was completed in about 1 1/2 hours.

Very unevenful encoding of the 4 menus and the rest until the burn part. That really had me worried. The progress bar read and maintained 0%. I was about ready to cancel out and presumed that I had a good model setup from which to troubleshoot the cause of this problem. Then suddenly the DVD burner tray flew open with my DVD disc and Premiere Elements posted in the burn area, a burn completed successfully type of message.

When I did a computer playback of the DVD disc content, everything was there including those 11 motion buttons in action.

Before you go back to retry the burn to, maybe let us go through the following drill focused at optimizing your computer to rule in or out the computer possibly needing some maintenance and optimization.

a. Go to the Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements/10. Delete all the preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder. While there, delete all the conformed audio (cfa and pek files) in the Media Cache Folder.

b. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and hit the Clean button to get rid of all the conformed video files (.mcdb).

c. Download and install the ccleaner and do the regular and registry cleaning (make sure to say Yes to its back up registry request).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Double check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to assure that all the categories there are directed to a hard drive save location with a lot of free space to accept files being sent to the save location.

From what you wrote it sounds like you are running Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit. It is important that you confirm that or correct my misunderstanding on that. What is your project setting and what are the properties of the source media that are going into this project? Do you have photos in the project? If so, what are their pixel dimensions and how many of them are there?

If you are working with motion buttons for the scene buttons, do not for now.

Check the magnitude of the space between scene markers.

Please review the above and then we can decide what next. But do answer all the questions since the answer is somewhere in all those details.

Thanks.

ATR.

• 13. Re: Burning DVD
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

It's probably getting late for you, and I am in no rush for this info - have two more days, before France, but, when possible, can you fill me in on this test.

Am I correct that you created an AVCHD PrE Project, Imported AVCHD material to fill that up, then did the full authoring in that Project, with the HD Menus. Then, you Burned to Disc with the DVD specs.?

If so, how did those HD Menus look, when going to DVD?

Did you encounter any navigation issues?

When it's convenient, I would like to know if that worked well for you. As you have a critical eye, I would appreciate your comments, as I might change my suggestions.

Thanks and sleep well,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Burning DVD
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I will have the requested information posted in the light of day. Probably around 11 am (east coast time).

Right now, need to call it a day.

Good morning.

ATR

• 15. Re: Burning DVD
                                      Blymyer Level 1

I really appreciate your knowledgeable questions.  The answer is yes.  The

project  burns to DVD without the 11 scene markers.

• 16. Re: Burning DVD
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Am I correct that you created an AVCHD PrE Project, Imported AVCHD material to fill that up, then did the full authoring in that Project, with the HD Menus. Then, you Burned to Disc with the DVD specs.?

Yes. Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit with Project Preset NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30. And, Share/Disc/DVD and burn to "NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD" with check mark for "Fit Contents to Available Space".

If so, how did those HD Menus look, when going to DVD?

Fine, but please read on. With the Premiere Elements 10 project preset NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30, when I got to Disc Menus, the menu described by the OP was only offered with the label HD. Full screen previews of that menu (main and scene) in the Disc Menus section of the program left something to be desired with regard to the smaller text ONLY...first it was sharp and unsharp. Everything else was good.

The Menus exported fine, looked better than preview on a consistent basis Full Screen. The following are screenshots that I captured from what I saw on my computer monitor (native resolution 1400 x 900) when I played back Full Screen the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc via CyberLink software that came with the Blu-ray DVD burner.

Main Menu: HD Disc Menu As Part of DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD export choice.

HDMainMenuExportSDWidescree.jpg

Scene Selection Page: HD Disc Menu As Part of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc export choice.

HDSceneSelectionExportSDWid.jpg

Did you encounter any navigation issues?

None.

Overall comment. The issue of small font size and certain font styles are of concern for the viewer whether the viewer has poor and very excellent eye sight.

The above probably does not do justice to the whole situation, but for now those are my comments on the matter. I promised a while back to look into text sharpness and other text attributes in this type of project, but have not gotten there yet. It is on my to do list.

This morning I report the whole project, including a few scenes where I added effects. I still could not confirm the findings of the OP.

More thinking of the OP's results.

ATR

• 17. Re: Burning DVD
                                          Blymyer Level 1

I created a std def project with all std def material

• 18. Re: Burning DVD
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer,

Oops.

I always say that the answers are in the details, but that detail escaped some how in spite of my disclaimer back in post 12.

There were a few missing pieces to the background information, but this is what I did and the results obtained. The bottom line is for what I did, everything was fine.

Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30

My fault for taking the source media properties for granted. No worry. I will redo the test with a start and end SD finish. But, before I start please confirm...was your project preset NTSC DV Standard or Standard Widescreen and was your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc plan for NTSC Standard or Standard Widescreen. From what you wrote it seems to be NTSC Standard 4:3 project preset and the Standard 4:3 for the DVD-VIDEO burn to disc. And, did you use Motion Buttons for your Scene Buttons?

Eager to give this another look under a new set of conditions.

ATR

• 19. Re: Burning DVD
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

Earlier today I repeated my testing with a completely SD workflow (Project Preset = DV Standard 4:3 and Burn to DVD (4.7 GB/120 min) standard 4:3. In the burn dialog, the Space Required = 3.9 GB and Bitrate = 8.00 Mbps. Fit Contents To Available Space had a check mark next to it.

Same 11 scene markers (that I made motion button for worse case scenario). Project was duration was about 1 hour and 4 minutes.

No problems. Project assets all in the DVD-VIDEO standard that was produced.

This is what I am suggesting now for troubleshooting purposes.

a. If the program will allow you, make a copy of the current problem project (File Menu/Save A Copy).

b. work from the copy, removing content to bring your Space Required to about 3.5 to 3.9 GB, leave the same menu and 11 scene markers placed on the Timeline.

c. try the burn to DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc

Did decreasing the size of the project lead to a successful burn to disc with menu, menu buttons, and video/audio content all intact?

Is the plan doable?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Burning DVD
                                                Blymyer Level 1

My project preset was NTSC Wide Screen as well as the DVD preset.  No

motion buttons were used as scenes.

I can't tell you how much I  appreciate your efforts to resolve my problem!!

• 21. Re: Burning DVD
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

It would be good to rule in or out any factors related to computer resources. Will it be possible for you to carry out the run with abbreviated Timeline content using a copy of the original project?

One approach might be to cut the project in half and then try to burn each half separately to see if both burn to disc completely or one or the other does or does not.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 22. Re: Burning DVD
                                                    Blymyer Level 1

I have done that several times, and it burns DVD's when I split the

timeline in half.  One solution would be to create two separate projects,

and then burn them to separate DVD's. (a work around at best)

• 23. Re: Burning DVD
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

Recap time...

Did you try the DVD+R Double Layer One Sided disc (8.5 GB/120 min) for the burn to in Premiere Elements with any success?

What seems to be the most that you can get on the DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 min and get a complete and successful burn to?

Have you optimized your computer to the fullest to just get that DVD-VIDEO on DVD? Do you have any control over burn speeds and such?

Any chance you can streamline your Timeline down without major sacrifices?

At one time did you say that the project works if you have only 6 or 8 scene markers on the Timeline? If so, all I see that doing is eliminating one of your 3 scene menu pages. I am not envisioning the additional of one page making such a problem, but... Can you pick a menu that has 6 scenes per page or one that has 5 per page and you keep the scene markers to 10?

Please review and then we can see where we are at.

Thanks again for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 24. Re: Burning DVD
                                                        Blymyer Level 1

Thanks so much for your continued interest. I get the same results when

burning to a 8.5 gig folder (using disc burn to folder option) bypassing

the DVD burning process.  It goes through the burn process (1 + hr) without

any errors with no DVD file created unless I cut the timeline to 6 schene

markers

• 25. Re: Burning DVD
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

I know that it is, as they say, a long shot, but consider using a new menu with 5 or 6 scenes per page (11 scene markers) so that you have 1 main menu page and only 2 scene selection pages.

Leave everything else as is and see what happens.

I need to call it a day. We will be watching for latest developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: Burning DVD
                                                            Blymyer Level 1

I will try your suggestion,  I need to fully understand how to implement

it.  I configured 11 scene markers that used 3 sceen pages on the selected

sceen/menu (4 scenes on two, & 3 on the third. How can I get additional

scenes displayed on the same page. I did not use a main menu marker

thinking it was redundant for my 11 scene project.

• 27. Re: Burning DVD
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

Here is the scheme that I had in mind for my latest suggestion focusing on the menu pages....

Work from a copy of the complete problem project. Just to make sure I have the details correct, you are working from a Premiere Elements 10 Windows DV Standard project setting and heading for DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 min)... the burn dialog's Fit Contents to Available Space with check mark. Same 11 scene markers. No main menu or stop markers. Try to keep to same workflow as before but just introducing the variable of the new menu with more scenes per page for the Scene Selection page.

Details

Using the copy of the complete problem project, go to the Disc Menus section of the project and then hit AutoPlay to get rid of the menu that was currently in use.

Then apply the Countryside Theme under the Travel category. The Countryside Theme has 6 scenes per Scene Selection page. You should have 11 scene markers on the Timeline of this project, so, in the Disc Menus section, you should be seeing 2 scene pages (the first with 6 buttons and the second with 5 buttons) in addition to 1 main menu page..

Then see if the use of that project setup results in a successful burn to DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc.

We will be watching for the results. If any questions about this plan, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                Blymyer Level 1

I understand your option. However, my final project has just 11 scene

markers, and stop markers, no main menu markers.

• 29. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

From the onset we were in sync about the 11 Scene Markers and no main Menu Markers.

Did you say in that latest post that you have Stop Markers on the Timeline as well as Scene Markers? If so, how many and how far apart is a Stop Marker from a Scene Marker?

ATR

• 30. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                    Blymyer Level 1

The stop markers are at the end of each scene, and the next schene markers

are at the start of the next scene, and very close to the previous stop

marker (about 1 to 3 sec)

• 31. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

As you know, only one marker for a given spot. The distance between markers can be a factor in some scenarios which result in project failures.

Let us see how you do with the new menu idea. But widening the space between the markers may need some focusing in on.

Also, definitely no Stop Marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline that is moving forward to Disc Menus and Share.

ATR

• 32. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                        Blymyer Level 1

I will try your ideas, thanks so much for your help.  I will be in a

position to try this next Mon  as I am starting my vacstkion

Brad Blymyer

• 33. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

The results should be interesting.

We will be looking for your results when you return from your vacation.

Wishing you a great vacation.

ATR

• 34. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                            Blymyer Level 1

I will give it a try next Mon, thanks soooo much for your ideas!!

• 35. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                              Blymyer Level 1

Success! I first took out the end of timeline stop marker, no success,

then deleted all of the stop markers and was able to burn a DVD!

I will try now to add some stop markers and spread them apart from the

scene markers.

Your help and assistance is most appreciated! !!!!!

• 36. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

Wonderful news.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 37. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                                  Blymyer Level 1

Hi again. I spread out the scene and stop markers and SUCCESS!  You are a

genius.  If it is possible to talk to you briefly on the phone, I would

like to thank you personally.

Brad Blymyer

• 38. Re: Burning DVD
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Brad Blymyer

I am so pleased with your good news of mission accomplished. Great job and great follow through.

Many thanks for the follow up.

Although I will not be able to talk to you on the phone, I will be applauding your success so loud that you will hear it through out cyberspace.

Continued success.

ATR