13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 9:22 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD

SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

Hi Folk,

I have been using Elemnts 11 for a few months with good success. I created a video from 8-9 clips and it play fine in the tool. I can see the images OK and hear all the audio throughout the video. When I burn a DVD to a Folder on my laptop and play it using Quick time the audio drops out after about 5-6 seconds. I also did a test run and burned the DVD files to a physical DVD and tried to play it and got the same result of the audio droping out.

Thaks For you help,

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What are the details of your Audio Clips:

1. Are they the Audio from the Video that you shot?
          2. Any MP3's in the mix?
          3. Did you add music?
          4. If so, what Track did you use for that music?
          5. If so, do you hear any of the Audio from your Video, or does that, plus the music just stop?

There will probably be some more questions forthcoming.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
            SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

1. Audio and Video on the same clips

2. No MP3's

3. No music added ( still a novice not up to the cool stuff yeat )

4. No tracks added

5. Not added

Thanks for your help,

Tim

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SnapDragon_M5

My follow up question in the train of already asked Q&A would be:

What are the properties of your source media:

Video compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate, including interlaced or progressive...if interlaced lower or upper field first

pixel aspect ratio

duration

What do you mean by:

When I burn a DVD to a Folder on my laptop and play it using Quick time the audio drops out

it play fine in the tool

I find that I cannot playback the VTS_01_1.VOB of the VIDEO_TS Folder from the Premiere Elements burn to folder using QuickTime. Are you sure that you used QuickTime for the playback of the VIDEO_TS Folder's video file? What did you use for the playback of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Have you tried to play the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in the VLC Media Player?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

I need to check the settings but I think they are at the defaults values because I did not change them.

I pointed the Quick Time Player to the Folded I burned the Video to before I burned the video to a physical DVD. I wanted to determine if the issue was in the DVD authoring or the video encoding.

I did test the DVD I created on my DVD player. Previous project meaning DVD's have worked fine.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                  SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

The source media is from a Sony HandyCam DCR-SX41 and I use

a memory card. The file types a .mpg formats. I am not sure how to get the properties of the video clips? I typically copy the entire video folder from the memory card onto an external HD.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SnapDragon_MS

Check out the free MediaInfo program for obtaining a readout of your video properties.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                      SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

Video_Clip_Properties.jpg

Here is one of the clips, Thanks

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                        SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

Oops, this should be better,

General
                        Complete name                            : I:\VideoSource_2013\May_26_2013_Morning_Worship\M2U00715.MPG
                        Format                                   : MPEG-PS
                        File size                                : 1.97 GiB
                        Duration                                 : 50mn 46s
                        Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
                        Overall bit rate                         : 5 568 Kbps

Video
                        ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
                        Format                                   : MPEG Video
                        Format version                           : Version 2
                        Format profile                           : Main@Main
                        Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
                        Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
                        Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15
                        Bit rate mode                            : Variable
                        Bit rate                                 : 5 201 Kbps
                        Maximum bit rate                         : 9 100 Kbps
                        Width                                    : 720 pixels
                        Height                                   : 480 pixels
                        Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
                        Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
                        Standard                                 : NTSC
                        Color space                              : YUV
                        Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
                        Bit depth                                : 8 bits
                        Scan type                                : Interlaced
                        Scan order                               : Top Field First
                        Compression mode                         : Lossy
                        Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.502
                        Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
                        Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
                        Stream size                              : 1.84 GiB (93%)

Audio
                        ID                                       : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
                        Format                                   : AC-3
                        Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
                        Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
                        Format settings, Endianness              : Big
                        Muxing mode                              : DVD-Video
                        Bit rate mode                            : Constant
                        Bit rate                                 : 256 Kbps
                        Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
                        Channel positions                        : Front: L R
                        Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
                        Bit depth                                : 16 bits
                        Compression mode                         : Lossy
                        Delay relative to video                  : -78ms
                        Stream size                              : 93.0 MiB (5%)

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SnapDragon_MS

The following is what I would ask you to try:

Open a new Premiere Elements 11 Windows project.

Immediately go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset in the New Project dialog = NTSC DV Widescreen. Be sure that you put a check mark next to "Force Selected Settings on this Project" and then click OK to exit the new project dialog.

Now, using Add Media, import your videos into Project Assets and drag them to the Timeline. Assuming that all your video clips are of the type described in your MediaInfo video properties readout, right click each of your video files, select Field Options, and pick Reverse Field Dominance. After the last clip on the Timeline, place a 1 or 2 min music sample on Audio 1. (if you do not have one, then just ignore that request for now).

When you get to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, select the NTSC preset for widescreen. Before you hit burn, note what the burn dialog quality area shows for Space Required and Bitrate. I am assuming that you are using a DVD-R (4.7 GB/120 min).

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                            SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

I did configure the project for DV NTSC Widescreen OK. Then I added the media to the Elements Organizer. I then opened the organizer and dragged the clips from the organizer into my new project onto the timeline OK. I can not access the File Options related to the video clip? I tried to change options in the organized, in the folder and after I put the video clip in the timeline? Thanks

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                              SnapDragon_M5 Level 1

I can send you a link to one of the files. I am running out of time to product a few videos for people.

Tim,

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

SnapDragon_M5

Please check you private messages for one from me with way for you possibly to expedite the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Sound turns off after 5 seconds on DVD
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SnapDragon_M5

Bottom line: I have no problem taking your M2U00715.MPG file into Premiere Elements 11 NTSC DV Widescreen project and burning it to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on a DVD-RW (4.7 GB/120 min) disc, with full playback of video and audio on the computer or via the DVD player of my TV.

These are the details:

Your source media

720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. MPEG2 video compression and Dolby Digital Stereo 2 channel audio. This interlaced video is characterized by Fields = Upper Field First, so this must be taken into consideration when the end product is DVD-VIDEO whose format calls for Fields = Lower Field First.

Importing the file could be done two ways:

a. Add Media/Files and Folder/ and then dragging the file from Project Assets to the Timeline. The program should automatically set the project preset at NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders Widescreen 48 kHz because it is recognizing that Fields = Upper Field First. Check Edit Menu/Project Settings to verify that is indeed what the program did.

IMPORTANT. When you bring the file into Add Media, look for a progress bar at the bottom right of the interface. I found an Indexing, followed by a Conforming process at that point. Do not proceed with any work until after those activities are completed and the progress bar closes.

Conforming.JPG

or

b. Opening Premiere Elements 11 Windows, going to File Menu/New/Project, selecting NTSC DV Widescreen in the New Project dialog, putting a check mark next to "Force selected settled Project Setting for this project" and exiting from there. Then I imported the clip with Add Media/Files and Folders to Project Assets from where I dragged the file to the Timeline. On the Timeline, I right clicked the clip, selected Field Options and its Reverve Field Dominance option.

I used b.

What was on that Timeline had a duration of 50 minutes and 47 seconds. In the burn dialog, the Quality section, the Space Required = 3.15 GB and Bitrate = 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second). The DVD-VIDEO was produced via Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, using the preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. The DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc was completed in about 30 minutes. It played back with Windows Media Player, VLC player, CyberLink Power DVD with full video and audio.

In view of the above, I would suggest the following:

1. Repeat what I have just described as a successful run. Take the Organizer out of the equation for now and import the file directly from its hard drive save location via Add Media/Files and Folders.

2. When that file hits Project Assets, do not drag it to the Timeline until you are sure that there is no progress bar at the bottom right of the interface, indexing and/or conforming the file.

3. If there is no sound or only a bit of sound on the DVD-VIDEO disc produced, then take the disc to someone else's computer to determine if the file has no sound with this other person's player (computer or TV DVD player).

4. This one file has a file size of about 2 GB. How many files are you typically burning to DVD-VIDEO from the Timeline. In this context, how much available RAM and free hard drive space does your computer have? Are you getting any low memory messages at any time during the workflow?

Please review, let us know the results, and we will try to help further if needed.

Thanks.

ATR