12 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 3:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Installation problem

lpcastles

I am attempting to install Photoshop CS3 on a new computer.  I keep getting the message that the installation cannot continue until Internet Explorer is closed.  I have tried disconnecting the internet, WiFi, Bluetooth.  I still get the same message.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Installation problem
          Curt Y Level 7

Does not make sense to me.  You sure it is inernet explorer and not another program?  Are you doing this from disks?  Did you deactivate copy #2 first?

What OS? 

• 2. Re: Installation problem
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, when you go to Task Manager, do you see Internet Explorer running?

Also, per Curt's comment, I would check very carefully that Internet Explorer is the program causing the issue.

For general Adobe installations, this article gives you a checklist, that might be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569663

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Installation problem
              lpcastles Level 1

This is Windows 8.  I do not have Photoshop currently installed.  My old computer crashed, and I had to rebuild it from scratch.  I did not have a problem reinstalling CS3 there, but I don't entirely trust the old computer so ordered a new one.  I have had to reinstall everything from scratch. It is definitely Internet Explorer it is telling me to close.

• 4. Re: Installation problem
                lpcastles Level 1

I am very sure it says Internet Explorer as I have tried this probably 10 times!.  I disconnected here, ran Task Manager and IE was not running.  I tried again to install and got the same message again. I ran TM again and IE was not listed as running.

• 5. Re: Installation problem
                  Curt Y Level 7

lpcastles wrote:

This is Windows 8.  I do not have Photoshop currently installed.  My old computer crashed, and I had to rebuild it from scratch.  I did not have a problem reinstalling CS3 there, but I don't entirely trust the old computer so ordered a new one.  I have had to reinstall everything from scratch. It is definitely Internet Explorer it is telling me to close.

Crashed computer = one activated copy.  Installed on rebuilt computer = 2 activated copies.  Will on install on 3 computer unless one deactivated or you call Customer Service and explain your crashed copy.

• 6. Re: Installation problem
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Could it be 'Windows Explorer' and not 'Internet Explorer'?  That is something I think a lot of people get confused with.  What are you using to launch setup.exe for instance?  I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't like Windows Explorer to be open, unless the system thinks that one of the setup files is being used by another instance of 'My Computer', 'My documents' etc. and there is a conflict.

I have never used Windows 8, but I have had problems with installing Photoshop when a previous version Bridge is running as a background process in the task bar.

How about launching setup.exe from a Command Prompt? 

Have you said whether this from a CD or a file on your HDD?

• 7. Re: Installation problem
                      lpcastles Level 1

@#$%^& computers!  When all else fails, reboot!  I think I have it installed not, although I did get the comment that it didn't install correctly and to reinstall software.  However, I have the opening screen.  Haven't tried anything yet on it, but will keep in mind what you say about deactivating a copy.  Thanks. Lorena

• 8. Re: Installation problem
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Curt, I wondered about the probably lack of a deactivation from the crashed system, but that doesn't seem to fit with the OP's description of the problem.  But still something to get straight. 

[EDIT]  Ahhhh we know your name now Lorena.  I was struggling with avoiding saying his or her when I first replied.

• 9. Re: Installation problem
                          lpcastles Level 1

When all else fails, reboot!  @#$%^& computers!  Thanks for the help.

• 10. Re: Installation problem
                            lpcastles Level 1

Hopefully I have the problem solved.  When all else failed, I rebooted and I think it installed.  It gave me a message that it didn't install properly and to reinstall, but I have opening screen.  Haven't tried it yet, though.   #$%^&* computers!

• 11. Re: Installation problem
                              lpcastles Level 1

Do I need to set this to rest somewhere that it's been solved?  Seems to be working OK.

• 12. Re: Installation problem
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

If all is working well, then it would be good for you to mark the Replies that helped, "Helpful," and if anyone gave you the "Correct" answer, then mark that too.

Good luck, and fingers X'ed that the installation IS good.

Hunt