9 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 7:19 AM by Dave LaRonde

Transitions and imports of AI files

Netcommercial Level 1

Hi All,

I've been banging away at they keys over here. I have a couple of questions.

1. How come my AI files are saved for the Web and on import into AE they have a white background? Is there a better way to export to use them so only the shapes are visibe? In this case a frame.

EDIT> add the screen grab

2. The Transition presets... What is the dealeo on those. I have 2 comps into a 3rd comp where those two are combined. I would like to use one of the effect presets to transition from my two layers of comps as described. However the effects is applied to the whole layer. Not Like Prem Pro where it dog ears or only adds it to 2-3 seconds to the end of a selected layer or track?  Maybe some Quick>Steps> to Create> a way to do this?

Thanks for any details

Regards

NC

pngWbg.PNG

• 1. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First you should be saving your Illustrator art as vector art not saving it for the web. If you want to eliminate the white background then you must save as a png and enable transparency. JPEG does not support transparency.

Second, you keyframe the transitions. They are not automatic. Use the % complete.

It sounds like you need to go through the basic AE training available on the front page of this forum. Please read through the materials on keyframes. You'll find the basics HERE.

• 2. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
            Netcommercial Level 1

Hi Rick it is a PNG with Transparency enabled. You are right about the Vector. The final class with Sue Jenkins for AI had me convert my workspace into for the Web. After you pointing that out, I did not realize I was saving in Rastor. However "For the Web," must be Rastorized. Yet, the only thing that should be an issue here is the rasterized art going beyound 100% however If you look at the screen grab you will see it is a PNG.Still bringing in a BG.  I will double check the export settings....over in AI.

Keyframe the transitions....OK I get that, I don't need to start at the beginning unless there is a certain place in the beginning that goes over adding a transition and an effect? I am on 301 of COD with Chris Meyers and he has not gone over that yet. PLENTY of other stuff thus far.. Hence me asking here what was the trick to it.  I will head over and read the "materials on keyframes" in the basic link you provided. However I KF'd the cars animating with lipsync from mamoworld and added eyes blinking, etc. Using Shape masks for the eyelids...Thanks for the file you sent. Once I opened it, your solid layers made a bit more sense to me then trying to explaiin it in text,

Thanks again

NC

• 3. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

...it is a PNG with Transparency enabled....

However, if you look at your screen shot, you'll see that your image contains only 256 colors.  An image with such a small number of colors does NOT contain alpha channel information.  I don't even know what the bit depth would be for 256 colors, but if you have the option to do so, save it as a 32-bit PNG.  And of course, enable transparency.

• 4. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
                Netcommercial Level 1

Thanks Dave. I was not aware that was an issue. WIll watch out for that. I have not been down to my WS to check my settings on export as Rick mentioned. However, I am 99% sure that I had Enable Transparency as I watched for it and that was my goal.

As far as the question about creating a transition...That is done VIA : Stagger desired Layers appropiatley> Create Masks at start point of transition of top staggered layer. (multiple or single mask(S)) > KeyFrame the Mask to swipe at the interval desired.

OK- how or where do I ad an effect from the preset section? Say i want one layer to dissolve into the other? IF you are going to steer me to a link Please send me the link that is pertanent to the question and not a page of them....Thanks in advance.

Is it a Solid that I add the effect to?

EDIT> http://howtech.tv/video/how-to-apply-a-transition-in-adobe-after-effects-cs6/ <---This will get you there if you are looking for the answer.

I was not using the Transition effect, I was trying to use a regular effect!

• 5. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

...I am 99% sure that I had Enable Transparency as I watched for it and that was my goal...

Enabling Transparency would NOT matter with such a small number of colors.  There isn't enough bit depth in the image to support an alpha channel.

...how or where do I ad an effect from the preset section? Say i want one layer to dissolve into the other?

Those are AE 101-type questions.  Even if we answered them properly, you wouldn't understand the arcane AE Lingo that everyone uses.  So you'd ask "what does that mean?"  And we'd tell you.  Then you'd probably ask, "Well, what did you mean by that?"

...and on and on it goes, without you getting anywhere.  It's a language barrier.  It would be like we were communicating in Finnish or something.

Nope, there is no way you can get around it: you have to work this stuff out for yourself, and you have to learn the basics while you lurk here for a while.  The best way to learn the basics is to go here: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)

With AE, you can't jump into the deep end of the pool.  You need to start in the kiddie splash pool.  Many have tried to blow off the basics, and just as many have regretted it.

FYI: for a dissolve, animate the opacity of the upper layer in a 2D comp.  Working in 3D? Pick the right layer and do the same thing.

• 6. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
                    Netcommercial Level 1

Dave, Thank you for the animate opacity... Tip.  I will play with that.

FWIW I have not skipped the basics. On the contrary. I started using Class on Demand By Chris Meyers. I have gone through lessons 101, 201. Slowly with notes. I assure I am on chapter 8 moving into 301. However, IF that little tid bit of info was not disclosed to me, or that I had missed it if it was blown by in a BTW..15 second instruction in one of the chapters.

Sending somone to the beginning for a question is fine if that person asks a beginning question. IE: What is a Keyframe?

I have a decent grip on the product, I sometimes would like a shortcut for some things without perusing through a Trove of information.  I do understand the Nomenclature, or terms in AE.

Like, Expressions, Vertices, KeyFrame, Comp, Spatial, Masks, Transform, Animate, Opacity etc... It is not Finnish to me.

I do not know why you felt compelled to re post a "from the beginning link" as Rick did when I asked PLEASE if you knew the specific link?  Why should I delve through creating a comp or exporting one when I am looking for as stated, adding an effect to a transition? It comes off very passive aggressive, BTW/> I Googled that term and what I came up with was the link I posted incase someone Googles this topic as I DO take the time to properly Meta Tag a post.  Prior Google, (creating a transition in AE)  most of the topics came up with using a Mask to transition when I am looking to use an EFFECT. Not to the whole layer only to the END. Whereas, Now I know as stated ;I was looking at the wrong EFFECTs area.   I was not using the Transition effect, I was trying to use a regular effect!

Peace,

NC

• 7. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I do not know why you felt compelled to re post a "from the beginning link" as Rick did when I asked PLEASE if you knew the specific link?  Why should I delve through creating a comp or exporting one when I am looking for as stated, adding an effect to a transition? It comes off very passive aggressive, BTW/> I Googled that term and what I came up with was the link I posted incase someone Googles this topic as I DO take the time to properly Meta Tag a post.  Prior Google, (creating a transition in AE)  most of the topics came up with using a Mask to transition when I am looking to use an EFFECT. Not to the whole layer only to the END. Whereas, Now I know as stated ;I was looking at the wrong EFFECTs area.   I was not using the Transition effect, I was trying to use a regular effect!

Sorry if my response offended you, but animating a dissolve is pretty darned easy -- so easy that it doesn't even merit an animation preset.  It's also pretty easy to figure out based on current knowlegre when you've progressed as far as you've told us.  There are obviously some gaps in the ol' knowledge bank.  Can't help that one.

• 8. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
                        Netcommercial Level 1

No offense a litte irratating as this is a voluntary forum to answer only if you know and desire to help, Dave... Not to tell someone to go look it up.

I did it, however it was not an opacity KF as you stated. See Pic. A simple solution would have been to type:

Select desired layer> (in my case take my two comps and create a single comp with both layers in it) Under Efects and presets note a folder called Transitions. THOSE are the ones to use, not the other effects, incase you DID NOT KNOW.  Adjust your KF's accordingly.

Not your canned answer I see all over forums where your post answer is go to the beginning of the lessons. No hard feelings, just a guy trying to get an answer from someone who KNOWS what, or how to do something. 

Like that AI file to get it to come into AE I used the  View>Transparent Grid to get what was needed.   If you don't know or unsure, please don't reply. No biggee, no hard feelings. You  have answered my questions before to only say after a few posts that you don't 'fart' around with that tool anyways.

Peace,

NC

I would ask how to make lighning follow a path however I do not want to read "GO BACK to Basics it's Easy 101 stuff! Instead with the same amount of time it takes to write that you could just write the steps>needed>to get> the desired results

transition.PNG

• 9. Re: Transitions and imports of AI files
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Select desired layer> (in my case take my two comps and create a single comp with both layers in it) Under Efects and presets note a folder called Transitions. THOSE are the ones to use, not the other effects, incase you DID NOT KNOW.  Adjust your KF's accordingly.

I've never had to resort to transitions in a case like the one you show:

• Go to the last Card Wipe keyframe.  Use the j & k keyuboard shortcuts to move the timeline cursor quickly.
                          • Make an opacity keyframe.  It defaults at 100%.
                          • Use the j key to get to the FIRST Card Wipe keyframe.
                          • Set another opacity keyframe, and drag the value down to 0%

Done.  No navigating through folders.  No adjusting keyframes accordingly.  Simple, huh?

Forest.... trees.