4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 9:44 AM by SiliconPixel

Problems with scrolling through premiere timeline using arrow keys and shift arrow

madoy23

This is a really weird problem in cs6.

When I load a clip into the source monitor i can scroll throughit fine using the arrow keys, and shift arrows and my shuttle pro controller.

When I place the same clip on to the timeline it really struggles to scroll using the arrows or the shuttle pro, its really kerky and sdlwo to scroll the timeline, which is really frstrating, becuase it can play the footage fine in the source monitor.

The clips will playback fine, but scrolling through them just doesn't work as it should any ideas?

Cheers

Mike

• 1. Re: Problems with scrolling through premiere timeline using arrow keys and shift arrow
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Perhaps a mismatch between the clip and the sequence settings?  Or maybe some effects on the clip?

• 2. Re: Problems with scrolling through premiere timeline using arrow keys and shift arrow
            SiliconPixel Level 1

I wonder if it's related to the problem I just fixed - after living with it for years!

I had problems with the CTI jumping back to the start of the sequence when rapidly jumping to the start of new clips and pressing play immediately.

It turned out that it was the configuration of my Shuttle Pro 2 - I was mapping the keyboard shortcuts SHIFT-UP and SHIFT-DOWN to two buttons. But there is an option in the shuttle config called smart release - I disabled this for both buttons and it now works as expected. Hurrah!

Maybe you could try disabling smart release for your buttons in the shuttle config and see if that helps at all?

Also - how have you got your shuttle config setup - does it struggle with using the jog wheel?

another thought - can you scrub the timeline by dragging the CTI with the mouse?

Paul.

• 3. Re: Problems with scrolling through premiere timeline using arrow keys and shift arrow
              madoy23 Level 1

Nice one mate thats better, still doesnt kepp up with the footage completetly but it has improved it.

Its the jogwheel which is the problem or the scrolling of footage, I use the cs6 edit settings downloaded from the shuttle pro website.

Cheers

Mike

• 4. Re: Problems with scrolling through premiere timeline using arrow keys and shift arrow
                SiliconPixel Level 1

I changed my shuttle settings to make the shuttling more responsive:

1 - 5 times second

2 - 10

3 - 15

4 - 30

5 - 45

6 - 60

7 - fast as possible

At least I changed this a long time ago - don't know if these are the defaults or not.

It'll only shuttle as fast as your system is responsive of course - so if you get instantaneous scrubbing by dragging the CTI in the timeline with the mouse, you should be able to get good performance with the shuttle. Of course that performance depends on the type of footage and how demanding it is on CPU to decode and whether youi have effects applied etc etc etc.

I edit pretty much exclusively with Sony XDCAM EX 1080P 25 footage we've shot on EX3 and PMW-350 etc and I get very very fast performance on the timeline - no issues at all i7 6 core 4GHz with 24Gb ram and fairly fast RAID array for footage.