2 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 1:27 PM by IsakTen

Creating a password for my digital signature

ncr3goodierep

I recently upgraded my Windows system (XP to 8) and I had Acrobat X Standard on my old system.  On my old system, I had to enter a password in order to sign my documents.  On the new system, I set up my digital signature and now it doesn't require me to use a password in order to sign with my digital signature.  I'm sure I missed the checkbox or something to put in a password when I set it up.  My question is, how do I go back and edit my settings so I have enter a password?  I don't use a public computer, but I create documents that are used for legal purposes and I want the added security that a password gives my signature.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Creating a password for my digital signature
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I don't have Acrobat 10 available at the moment, but for Acrobat 11 you'd select:

Acrobat 11: Edit > Preferences > Signatures > Identities & Trusted Certificates > More > Digital IDs > Digital ID Files > Password Timeout

Acrobat 9: Advanced > Security Settings > Digital IDs > Digital ID Files > Password Timeout

• 2. Re: Creating a password for my digital signature
            IsakTen Level 4

In Acrobat X: Tools->Sign&Certify->More Sign&Certify->Security Settings->Digital IDs >Digital ID Files->Password Timeout

It also depends on where you placed your signing credential. If it is in the Acrobat Digital IDs store (which is where you get by following the links above) then you use "Passowrd Timeout" to control how often Acrobat asks you for the password when signing. However, if you imported your signing credential into the Windows store, then it depends on whether you checked the "Enable strong private key protection..." check box in WIndows Certificate Import Wizard. Even if you checked it Windows will ask you the password only once per session, I think. In this case it is Windows that asks the password not Acrobat, so you do not have the same control over password as when teh signing credential is in teh Acrobat Digital IDs store.