7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 10:47 AM by RandySwineford

Text in Forms

ULAdmissions

We have designed a form and have it online. Applicants are filling in the form and submitting same. We export each response as a PDF. However, we are having a problem in that where the amount of text provided by the applicant for a specific box on the online form is greater than the size of the box, the text does not appear in the generated PDF.  How do I make the text visable in the exported PDF. Is it possible for the size of the box to adjust to the contents.

Also where there are pages in the form with text instructions is it possible to exclude these pages from the PDF being exported?

Joachim Barnett

Admissions Office University of Limerick

• 1. Re: Text in Forms
          Drewy62 Adobe Employee

Joachim,

Your text should be in the PDF, but you may have to scroll to see it all. In terms of printing the PDF there is currently a limitation on being able to print the entire text if it doesn't fit in the field. This is something we are aware of and is on our list of things we hope to fix. Till then the best advice I can give you is to create fields large enough to display the longest answer you expect.

Andrew Yarborough

• 2. Re: Text in Forms
            ULAdmissions Level 1

Thanks,

Will take that into consideration when doing future forms. If I increase the sign of the boxes to view text recorded, is it possible to put a restriction on the amount of text recorded?

Could I ask you about the second part of my enquiry

"Also where there are pages in the form with text instructions is it possible to exclude these pages from the PDF being exported?"

Joachim Barnett

Admissions Office

University of Limerick

• 3. Re: Text in Forms
              ULAdmissions Level 1

Just got an email with same response above. I am trying to expand on my question and get a new response on the following:

IS it possible to omit specific pages when exporting to a PDF?

• 4. Re: Text in Forms
                Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

It is not possible to ommit pages when exporting. One thing that you can try that might be useful is in the View Responses Tab print the Detail View of the row instead (File > Detail View. The print button is at the bottom of the the detail view).

This will not print the instructional text but only the field/value pairs.

This will print all the text per field (no need to scroll to see the full text of a long value)

Hope this helps

Gen

• 5. Re: Text in Forms
                  SLPRG

Do you happen to have an idea of when this will be addressed?  This is something that I have been fighting with because some of the forms we have created ask for very detailed responses and having a form that has a large input field is not desirable.  I would think that this should be high on the list of what needs to be addressed.  Thanks in advance!

• 6. Re: Text in Forms
                    Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

It is definitely something we are looking into. The nature of PDF file is not to grow with content so we need to make sure we get this right before we get it to you

For now I can only proposed to you to print the Detail View from the View Responses Tab (View > Detail View, print button at the bottom of the detail view).

Gen

• 7. Re: Text in Forms
                      RandySwineford Adobe Employee

We've changed how we generate PDFfiles from responses. If the response is too long and getting cropped we will now automatically expand the field to show all of the text in the outputted PDF.