7 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 2:04 PM by ECBowen

Dell vs Asus Laptop Cs6

zads85

I posted just the other day about a laptop I was looking at buying to get feedback on it, which I did, so thanks.

Now I found another laptop that I am interested in, below are the computers with the specs and the price. I plan on using the laptop to edit photos and video from a dslr. The programs I use in CS6 are Lightroom, Photoshop, Premier Pro and sometimes After Effects. I’m on the road for work so I want something that can come with me.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these specific computers? What advantages does one computer have over the other? Which computer would you go with? Is the Dell worth the extra money?

Thanks to anyone that can offer their input.

Asus N56VJ-DH71 - $1115

1. · 15.6" LED-BACKLIT TFT LCD DISPLAY FULL HD 1920 X 1080
      2. · INTEL CORE I7-3630QM (2.4GHZ, 6MB CACHE, 3.4GHZ TURBO BOOST) 45 WATTS
      3. · 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 635M DDR3
      4. · 16 GB (2 X 8GB) DDR3 1600MHZ
      5. · 250 GB Samsung Ssd
      6. · Windows 8
      7. · 6 Cell lithium ion battery
      8. · 1 year manufactures warranty

Dell Precision M4700 - $1270

1. · 15.6 inch FHD (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED with Premium Panel
      2. · Intel Core 3rd Gen i7-3740QM Processor 2.7GHz  (3.7GHz Turbo Mode, 6M cache)
      3. · NVIDIA Quadro K2000M with 2GB GDDR3
      4. · 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM (4 DIMMs)
      5. · 320 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
      6. · Windows 7 Professional x64
      7. · 9 Cell primary battery
      8. · 3 year warranty
        • 1. Re: Dell vs Asus Laptop Cs6
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To edit video, you need at least TWO drives... SSD for boot is ok, a 7200rpm hard drive for project and video files is needed

The specifications on Adobe's page are the MINIMUM to install and run PPro... to actually edit video you REALLY need a dedicated data drive

• 2. Re: Dell vs Asus Laptop Cs6
            zads85 Level 1

I would either use an external hard drive or an internal one (at least on the Precision).

With that considered which computer would you recommend?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Dell vs Asus Laptop Cs6
              JFPhoton Level 3

I've been using an Asus G73 JW laptop for 2 years now......only problem has been a noisy GPU fan that MANY purchasers have encountered....I monitor temps and all is OK.

If I were buying new....based on my experience, I would want :

1.   17.3"  1920x1080 screen ......15" just TOO SMALL to see anything properly !

2.  FASTEST i7 CPU possible....DSLR footage is MOST difficult to edit natively due to long GOP structure with high compression......you may want to WAIT to see if new "Haswell" i7s coming in June offer even better performance in a laptop than the current versions.....it won't for desktops. CPU speed is KING concerning encoding and decoding.

3. at least 32GB system memory.....of 1600 speed

4. Best NVidia mobile graphics card you can get.....that has DDR5 memory, ( NOT DDR3 )....AND with the most Graphics memory available, ( esp. good for After Effects).

5. minimum  2 internal HDD bays......use Marvell controlled, ( not Sandforce) SSDs here. Although expensive, to take advantage of the SATA III read and write speed, ( 6gb/sec theoretically), you can achieve read AND write speeds on each drive in excess of 500MB/sec. without having to RAID anything! Best suggestion for this type of SSD is : Samsung 840 PRO series, Plextor PRO series, and the cheaper Crucial M4 series. I am using a 512GB M4 as my laptop project drive in my laptop....cost $399. More shock resistant,too....as well as less poer consuming vs. spinning HDDs.

6. eSATA ext. drive connection.....I have USB 3....had to select checkboxes in Windows device mgr. to get it working properly so it wouldn't "randomly disconnect". I have gotten speeds over 200MB/sec., but, believe eSATA can go faster. I am not aware if Thunderbolt is available on any Windows laptop....if it were....THAT may be the fastest external interface.

7. at least HDMI out, along with display port, for external monitor,or, HDTV connection. This is important as you may use an HDTV, esp. on the road, as a dedicated timeline ,full-screen monitor....or, to hook up a quality external monitor. I constantly do this.

8.  Good Luck !!!

• 4. Re: Dell vs Asus Laptop Cs6
                zads85 Level 1

Thanks JFPhoton!

Lot's of good information.

So I take it you would not recommend either of these two laptops for my needs then?

• 6. Re: Dell vs Asus Laptop Cs6
                  JFPhoton Level 3

....check out the Asus G75VX which HAS a Thunderbolt port...offering over 500MB/sec transfer speed BIDIRECTIONALLY.....that means reading and writing AT THE SAME TIME, I believe....unlike the  "half-duplex" nature of regular SATA, where it cannot do both simultaneously. I could be wrong here, as the storage devices used themselves may limit it still to half-duplex,but, at least the interface is capable. Then, G-RAID Thunderbolt external storage box becomes a possibility, ( or, similar). These external boxes make it easy to hook-up to a desktop at home.

....I would wait for the new Haswell laptops to see if they are better, with newer chipsets, etc.  With Haswell, the emphasis is going to be on the reduction of power used....so, I would be watchful for anything that could not be controlled by the user which would "throttle down " CPU or HDD speed, etc. This could effect a video editing machine, however, I'm sure there should be controls to allow full throttle at all times.

....go for the 32GB of system memory, fastest new Haswell CPU, biggest NVidia Mobile card, ( both in DDR5 memory AND GB/sec. throughput).

...be aware that C Cloud Premiere is NOT out yet.......they are PROMISING to fix several known bugs that exist in current PPro editions....esp. in CS6....that apply to AVCHD material. So, with CS6....if you are using certain AVCHD codecs to edit natively....even with a BEEFY machine....you may STILL run into choppy playback, etc. Hopefully, all this has been fixed in CC version....we'll have to see...

• 7. Re: Dell vs Asus Laptop Cs6
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Thunderbolt Storage devices still use Storage controllers for the drive interface. Thunderbolt is just for the bus transit.

Eric

ADK