15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 9:18 AM by Harm Millaard

New Intel Core i7 Haswell

ravin01 Level 1

Recently had a system fail and would like to build a new system.  I've been torn between waiting on the new Intel Haswell CPU's vs either the Intel Core i7-3770k or Intel Core i7-2600K.

I'm looking for system for multi use.  I have been doing scuba diving video on Premier Pro and may look towards a new camera down the road.

Your comments are appreciated.

• 1. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
          RjL190365 Level 4

Haswell might be a bit faster than the current Ivy Bridge architecture, but will still be limited by the low number of PCI-e lanes. This, in turn, limits what you can install on such a mainstream platform. Haswell will still be hobbled by its 16 available PCI-e lanes - all of which are normally used by a single graphics card (GPU). (Technically, Haswell will still have 20 total PCI-e lanes, but four of those will be used to connect to the 8-series chipset PCH, which offers some additional PCI-e capacity.)

And IMHO using a PC for both gaming and video editing is NOT recommended: Games often install a lot of junk that can seriously degrade video editing performance.

• 2. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I should have Haswell PPBM benchmarks done here in next day or 2. I have been to swamped to get those done yet.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
              ravin01 Level 1

Does anyone also know when someone on a retail level will be able to purchase and build a pc using the new chipset?  There have been articles on new motherboards etc.  Just wondering if I should go ahead and build with the current system on the market.

Thank you!

• 4. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Someone in motherboard tech support told me that their Z87  based boards would be available in July.  Do not know if he is credible or not..

• 5. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                  ravin01 Level 1

Just a final note:  I've decided to go with the processor that so many like in this forum.  The PC will be for multi use.

Intel Cor i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz LGA 11

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB 4x8GB

Noctua NHY-D14 Quite Cooler

Asus P9X79 Pro LGA 2011 Intel X79

Windows 8 Pro OEM

SamSung Electronics 840 Pro Series 256 GB

Cooler Maxter HAF XM - Mid tower Case

LG Electronics 14x Sata Blue-ray Internal Rewriter

Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti Boost GDDR5-2GB

2 Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Sata 6 Gb/s

Existing Drives that I would like to encorporate into the new system:

WD Raptor 500 GB

2 Samsung 1 TB HDD Sata 3 GB/s

1 Samsung 1 TB HDD Sata 3 GB/s

I am now looking for some direction on configuration of the drives.  I could purchase additional drives.

I am still thinking about the mid tower case.  I have a number of old videos of scuba diving trips that I can store on external drives.  My space under a glass desk involves a smaller metal bracket which I can remove.  I have thought of a full size case and if so would like roller wheels on the bottom of the case.

Thank you for your input.

• 6. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                    ravin01 Level 1

I don't want to purchase a Adaptec Raid controller.  The mother board has the following Storage

Intel X79 Chipset:

2 x Sata 6Gb/s

4 x Sata 3 Gb/s

Marvell PCle 9128 Controller:

2 x Sata 6Gb/s

ASMedia ASM1061 Controller:

2x Power eSata 6 Gb/s

Which controllers should go to the:

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro SSD

WD Raptor

2 Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Sata Raid?

Thanks

• 7. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Make sure you get the low profile version of the Vengeance sticks, otherwise it will not fit underneath the Noctua cooler.

Intel 6G: Samsung SSD & WD Raptor

Marvell 6G: 2x Barracuda.

Intel 3G: optical drive(s)

• 8. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                        ravin01 Level 1

Harm,

Thank you for your reply.  Can you recomend a full tower at this time?  I can remove a bracket in the desk and it will fit.  I looked at your post, what to build.  I could not find the Lian Li listed on amazon or new egg.  I think it would allow me to grow by having additional space.

thank you

• 9. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

CoolerMaster HAF 932 and 942 are popular, Fractal Design XL R2 is a good and affordable case, the Lian Li PC-X2000 FN is another good case and if you want the ultimate in cases, look at CaseLabs and take a look at the options in the various product lines. I have the TH10 with casters under my desk, which belongs to the Magnum Double Wide Line.

You may want to take a look at Final Results and other pages that document my latest build.

• 10. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                            yash-lucid Level 1

Have you done them?

• 11. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell

Yes I am almost finished with our internal benchmarks. I need to do the PPBM test yet and Harm needs to give me access to the 6 site

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This full tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225 is highly rated, and has LOTS of fans included for good cooling

• 13. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

If you register and login, you have access to all pages, with the exception of certain debug pages, used exclusively by Adobe Development people, Bill and myself.

I can set this up for you, but you may prefer to do it yourself, since then you can decide on your own password, instead of me making one up for you. If you have solid reasons for elevated status, please mail me privately.

• 14. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell

My apologies then Harm. Bill had said I needed access to the site so I thought I needed that just for viewing results.

Eric
                                    ADK

• 15. Re: New Intel Core i7 Haswell
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

No need to apologize, Eric. If anyone should apologize it is me, for not communicating this clearly enough on the website.