16 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 11:57 AM by A.T. Romano

Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project

Hungry100

I am running Elements 10.  I have created a project with numerous video clips and pictures inserted.  I cannot seem to get the pictures to display clearly no matter what format (jpg, tiff, etc) I use.  The video clips seem to display ok.

• 1. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hungry100

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10?

What is the project preset?

What are the properties of your source videos clips? What are the pixel dimensions of your photos and how many of them are there? How large is this project and where is it heading export-wise?

If you right click the Edit Mode Monitor and select Playback Quality, does changing from Automatic to Highest have any affect on what you are seeing?

Let us start here.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
            Hungry100 Level 1

Project Presets - could not find where these are located, should be defaults since I have not changed project properties

Video Clips are mp4 and mpg.  Mp4 are one minute clips from a 45 MB video.  Mpg is a two minute clip from a 2.1GB video file.    20 or so pictures, jpg and tiff under 1MB each, some much smaller.  Dimensions vary, one is 265x208 another is 896x750

I have created a rough version and exported to dvd.  It looks to be around 800MB now, I would guess the final project will be at least 2-3 GB.

Running Premier Elements 10.  I do not see an Edit Mode Monitor option.

Thanks for the interest

• 3. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Project Presets - could not find where these are located

Go to Edit>Project Settings>General. All of the info will be there.

This is important knowledge, as with the smaller JPEG Images, there will be Scaling UP (Up-rezzing), and the amount of Scale will impact on the visual quality.

Good luck, and please let us know what the Project's Settings are.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                Hungry100 Level 1

Editing Mode DV NTSC

Time base 29.97

Frame size: 720 x 480

Pixel Aspect Ratio: DV1/DV NTSC

Fields:  Uppper fields first

Display format: 30fps drop frame timecode

Title Safe area:  20 x 20

Action Safe Area 10 x 10

Sample rate 48000 hz

Display format: Audio Samples

Capture Format: DV

Video Rendering:  Maximum bit depth

Optimize Stills is checked

Thanks

• 5. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you.

For the larger Image that you listed, you will be Scaling it Down (down-rezzing), and not by that much. It should be quite a bit better in quality, however that smaller Image will never look good. Here is an example of how far it is from your Project's Settings - Frame Size:

DV_Frame_Size.png

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                    Hungry100 Level 1

1.  Is scaling (down rezzing) automatic or do I need to do something.

2.  Should I try to only import pictures with resolutions of 720 x 480 or better?   The smaller resolution picts look fine when I open them separately, they are just blurry when I open them in Elements. 

3.  I have a series of family tree documents which I am exporting from a genealogy program and saving in JPG or TIFF format.  These look ok by themselves but are terrible in Elements.  One jpg family tree is saved at 3136 x 2184 and is unreadable when displayed in Elements.  What can I do to make it look presentable?

Hey we are making progress!

• 7. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For #1 - that depends. One can set Default Scale to Frame (exact syntax might differ by version), or they can manually adjust the Scale in the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, if Default Scale to Frame is not checked.

For #2 - I have great results by doing all of my Scaling first in Photoshop (I use Automate to Batch w/ an Action to handle entire folders of Images quickly), to the exact dimensions of my Project's Frame Size, for instance 1920 x 1080 for an HD Project. Also, as my Nikons, my Canon and my wife's Panasonic all shoot 4:3, if I am using the Image in a 16:9 Project, I will also Crop in Photoshop, as I find that easier, than to use Motion>Position (vertical), to "effectively" crop in Premiere.

If I need more pixels, say to Pan on a Zoomed Out Image, I will calculate just what size I need, and Scale in Ps to those dimensions.

General recommendations of Scaling to 1000 x 750 for SD Projects and 2000 x 1500 in HD Projects is just to give the user a bit of wiggle room. I take it a bit further, and Scale to exactly what I need - no wiggle room.

For #3 - I would Scale in Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) to match your Project's Frame Size. In Ps (do not know about PsElements), one has several choices of scaling algorithms. For a chart (in most cases), I would use Bicubic Sharper. Going back to #2, I alternate between Bicubic Sharper and Bicubic Smoother, depending on the subject matter and the exact Image.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                        Hungry100 Level 1
                        1. I am assuming "optimize stills" is the scale to frame setting.  It is checked in the project settings, rendering section.  I see that I cannot change the project scaling once I have begun a project.  If I continue with this version (and not start over) would you recommend I use photoshop to rescale all my pictures to 740 x 480?  Do you think scaling down from 3136 x 2184 to 740 x 480 would clear up the image?  Obviously my lower resolution pictures are not going to clear up. 
                        2. In the past using Roxio I have created projects and given DVDs out to family members to be played on their TVs.  Since I haven't created a project in a few years, what do you suggest as the best way to save and distribute this once I have completed it and of course, what resolution would you recomend?  I won't be posting it to YouTube but would consider some type of restricted viewing rights on a secure site.
                        • 9. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please refresh my memory, as to which version of PrE you are using. If listed above, I just missed it.

"Optimize Stills" is not the same as Default Scale to Frame." It is more of an Export/Share/Publish setting, and does not have anything to do with the Timeline.

For distribution on DVD-Video, one has two easy choices:

Burn to Disc in PrE, and let it do the physical burn.

Burn to Folder, and then use another burning utility, such as the great and free ImgBurn. To me, this has an added benefit in that one can then alter the burn speed. Slower is better to insure playability. PrE will average the speed of your multi-drive/burner, plus the speed of your blank media, and then choose the fastest. I am not in favor of this method, as slower is better to insure the best playability. When using PrE, and its "averaging" method to determine speed, many users buy and use the slowest possible blank media. I like to control the burn speed, as I can in Adobe Encore, my first choice for authoring, but not available for purchase as a stand-alone program - only available with PrPro.

If you can let us know which version of PrE you have, then we can tell you exactly where to find Default Scale to Frame.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                            Hungry100 Level 1

Working with PrE 10.  So what resolution would you recommend I work with if I am burning to a DVD and distrubuting to family members where they will either watch on on their TV or PCs.

thanks

• 11. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                              Hungry100 Level 1

BTW, I tried to download IMGBurn and both WOT website and Norton antivirus stopped me. 

Barry Stadd

bstadd@yahoo.com

Money cannot buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than on a bicycle.

• 12. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hungry100

I would like to step back into your thread and give you a detailed step by step for you to follow to get your DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 or whatever you want in the way of a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc to playback on someone's TV's DVD player. But first I want to make sure we have all the details together.....

1. Given you have Premiere Elements 10 on what computer operating system?

2. You say that your 20 photos range in pixel dimension from 265 x 208 pixels to 896 x 750 pixels? Is that correct?

3. You say that you have .mp4 and .mpg video clips. What are their frame size and frame rate and are they 4:3 or 16:9 video? Are these progressive or interlaced video? If interlaced, do the properties say Upper Field First or Lower Field First? A readout from the MediaInfo program will tell you that.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

4. Can we assume that your intent for this project is DV Standard 4:3 and DV Standard 16:9? Are you seem to be working in NTSC?

If you are not having any issues with Premiere Elements burn to disc, then I would suggest that you use Share/Disc/DVD disc for now. If the antivirus and firewalls are giving you problems with the download install, then you would have to turn them off and or set permissions.

Is the following what your Edit Menu/Project Settings is showing for the project that you are now working in?

Editing Mode DV NTSC

Time base 29.97

Frame size: 720 x 480

Pixel Aspect Ratio: DV1/DV NTSC

Fields:  Uppper fields first

Display format: 30fps drop frame timecode

Title Safe area:  20 x 20

Action Safe Area 10 x 10

Sample rate 48000 hz

Display format: Audio Samples

Capture Format: DV

Video Rendering:  Maximum bit depth

Optimize Stills is checked

I would question your project setting pending a look at your actual video properties. It would appear that you have selected NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/either Standard 48 kHz or Widescreen 48 kHz. I would know better if I knew what came after the Pixel Aspect Ratio reading in the quote...was it 0.9091?

If your source .mp4 and .mpg have Fields: Upper First, the above would be fine. If not, we need to take that into consideration and select NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen instead.

If you fill me in on the above details, I will offer a plan for immediate approval or disapproval.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                                  Hungry100 Level 1
                                  1. PrE 10 and Windows 7 64 bit, 8GB Ram
                                  2. Actually pictures range all the way up to 3136 x 2184

Video seems to be clear on playback.   Here are the details of the clip I from which I used about two minutes:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                  -<Mediainfo version="0.7.63">-<File>-<track type="General"><Complete_name>F:\Video\1989 Hilda Interview.mpg</Complete_name><Format>MPEG-PS</Format><File_size>2.11 GiB</File_size><Duration>35mn 12s</Duration><Overall_bit_rate_mode>Variable</Overall_bit_rate_mode><Overall_bit_rate>8 574 Kbps</Overall_bit_rate></track>-<track type="Video"><ID>224 (0xE0)</ID><Format>MPEG Video</Format><Format_version>Version 2</Format_version><Format_profile>Main@Main</Format_profile><Format_settings__BVOP>Yes</F ormat_settings__BVOP><Format_settings__Matrix>Custom</Format_settings__Matrix><Format_sett ings__GOP>M=3, N=15</Format_settings__GOP><Duration>35mn  12s</Duration><Bit_rate_mode>Variable</Bit_rate_mode><Bit_rate>8 180 Kbps</Bit_rate><Maximum_bit_rate>9 570 Kbps</Maximum_bit_rate><Width>720 pixels</Width><Height>480 pixels</Height><Display_aspect_ratio>4:3</Display_aspect_ratio><Frame_rate>29.970  fps</Frame_rate><Standard>NTSC</Standard><Color_space>YUV</Color_space><Chroma_subsamplin g>4:2:0</Chroma_subsampling><Bit_depth>8  bits</Bit_depth><Scan_type>Interlaced</Scan_type><Scan_order>Top Field First</Scan_order><Compression_mode>Lossy</Compression_mode><Bits__Pixel_Frame_>0.790</Bi ts__Pixel_Frame_><Time_code_of_first_frame>00:00:00:00</Time_code_of_first_frame><Time_cod e_source>Group of pictures header</Time_code_source><Stream_size>2.01 GiB (95%)</Stream_size></track>-<track type="Audio"><ID>192 (0xC0)</ID><Format>MPEG Audio</Format><Format_version>Version 1</Format_version><Format_profile>Layer 2</Format_profile><Duration>35mn 12s</Duration><Bit_rate_mode>Constant</Bit_rate_mode><Bit_rate>224 Kbps</Bit_rate><Channel_s_>2 channels</Channel_s_><Sampling_rate>48.0 KHz</Sampling_rate><Compression_mode>Lossy</Compression_mode><Delay_relative_to_video>-66 ms</Delay_relative_to_video><Stream_size>56.4 MiB (3%)</Stream_size></track></File></Mediainfo>

Here is details from another clip, used a minute or so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<Mediainfo version="0.7.63">-<File>-<track type="General"><Complete_name>C:\Users\Barry\Documents\My Documents\My Pictures\Genealogy stuff\Stadnitsky Project\Stadd Macavoz Pictures\Fiddler on the roof part 18.mp4</Complete_name><Format>MPEG-4</Format><Format_profile>Base Media / Version 2</Format_profile><Codec_ID>mp42</Codec_ID><File_size>23.5 MiB</File_size><Duration>9mn  59s</Duration><Overall_bit_rate_mode>Variable</Overall_bit_rate_mode><Overall_bit_rate>32 9 Kbps</Overall_bit_rate><Encoded_date>UTC 2010-01-03 01:13:19</Encoded_date><Tagged_date>UTC 2012-12-29 23:47:44</Tagged_date><gsst>0</gsst><gstd>600443</gstd><gssd>BADC23F64MH1356824360205454< /gssd><gshh>r16---sn-p5qlsn7z.c.youtube.com</gshh></track>-<track  type="Video"><ID>2</ID><Format>AVC</Format><Format_Info>Advanced Video Codec</Format_Info><Format_profile>Baseline@L1.3</Format_profile><Format_settings__CABAC> No</Format_settings__CABAC><Format_settings__ReFrames>1 frame</Format_settings__ReFrames><Format_settings__GOP>M=1,  N=30</Format_settings__GOP><Codec_ID>avc1</Codec_ID><Codec_ID_Info>Advanced Video Coding</Codec_ID_Info><Duration>9mn 59s</Duration><Bit_rate>218 Kbps</Bit_rate><Maximum_bit_rate>549 Kbps</Maximum_bit_rate><Width>320 pixels</Width><Height>240 pixels</Height><Display_aspect_ratio>4:3</Display_aspect_ratio><Frame_rate_mode>Constant< /Frame_rate_mode><Frame_rate>29.970  fps</Frame_rate><Color_space>YUV</Color_space><Chroma_subsampling>4:2:0</Chroma_subsampli ng><Bit_depth>8  bits</Bit_depth><Scan_type>Progressive</Scan_type><Bits__Pixel_Frame_>0.095</Bits__Pixel_ Frame_><Stream_size>15.6 MiB (66%)</Stream_size><Title>(C) 2007 Google Inc. v08.13.2007.</Title><Encoded_date>UTC 2010-01-03 01:13:19</Encoded_date><Tagged_date>UTC 2010-01-03 01:13:19</Tagged_date></track>-<track  type="Audio"><ID>1</ID><Format>AAC</Format><Format_Info>Advanced Audio Codec</Format_Info><Format_profile>LC</Format_profile><Codec_ID>40</Codec_ID><Duration>9m n  59s</Duration><Bit_rate_mode>Variable</Bit_rate_mode><Bit_rate>108 Kbps</Bit_rate><Maximum_bit_rate>156 Kbps</Maximum_bit_rate><Channel_s_>2 channels</Channel_s_><Channel_positions>Front: L R</Channel_positions><Sampling_rate>44.1 KHz</Sampling_rate><Compression_mode>Lossy</Compression_mode><Stream_size>7.75 MiB (33%)</Stream_size><Title>(C) 2007 Google Inc. v08.13.2007.</Title><Encoded_date>UTC 2010-01-03 01:13:19</Encoded_date><Tagged_date>UTC 2010-01-03 01:13:19</Tagged_date></track></File></Mediainfo>

4. Yes, NTSC, current screen resolution is 1280 x 1024.  I would like advice on what format 4:3 or 16:9 to create/continue the project for playback via DVD on both TV screens and PC monitors.

I can continue using the built in DVD creating program. 

The above chart is correct

Yes, .9091 comes after D1/DV NTSC

I'm not clear what mp4 and mpg fields are.  One was recorded by me and one off the internet.

• 14. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hungry100

Thanks for the additional details on your Premiere Elements 10 project. The following is a workflow for your consideration based on my understanding of your source media and your goal for it.

Given your source media

Video

720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and Scan Order (aka Fields) Upper Field First.

and

320 x 240 4:3 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Photos

About 20, ranging up to 3136 x 2184 pixels (all assumed 4:3)

1. Open Premiere Elements 10 Windows and set the project preset in the new project dialog for NTSC DV Standard (as per the details in the new project dialog) this preset represents 720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and is characterized by Scan Order (aka Fields) Lower Field First.

2. Import your video via Get Media/Files and Folder, drag it to the Timeline.

(a) For your 720 x 480 with the Scan Order of Upper Field First, right click the file on the Timeline, select Field Options and then Reverse Field Dominance. You should not have to do any scaling of this video since this 720 x 480 should fill the 720 x 480 4:3 space established in the Monitor by the project preset directive.

(b) As for the 320 x 240 4:3, you should not have to do any manual scaling of that video to have it fill the Edit Mode Monitor space since your video is 4:3 and the preference of "Default Scale to Frame Size" should be in effect doing the scaling to the frame size of the project preset. (Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/General.)

(c) Any scaling that you want to do can be done by highlighting the clip and going to its Properties Palette/Motion Panel and the Motion Panel's Scale property.

3. Import your photos. If these are all 4:3 photos, the Edit Menu/Preferences/General option "Default Scale to Frame Size" ON should take care of the automatic resizing of your photos to 720 x 480 and each should fill the 720 x 480 4:3 space established in the Monitor by the project preset directive.

4. Burn your Timeline content to a DVD-R disc (spec'd 4.7 GB/120 minutes...in reality that 4.7 GB = 4.38 GB). Check mark next to "Fit Contents to Available Space". Check the Quality Area of the burn dialog to see what your Space Required and Bitrate are. Best you see the Bitrate (max) = 8.00 Mbps.

See Share/Disc/DVD disc, using the Presets = NTSC _Dolby DVD

If you have failures burning to DVD disc, then we can talk about burn to folder, followed by use of ImgBurn to get the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.. Remember that the properties of the burn preset are non negotiable and will give you a product at 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second with Scan Order = Lower Field First.

As you know, generalizing, scale down, OK and scale up can lead to pixilated. However, in your particular circumstance, it may give you acceptable results. So, needs some first hand looking at. Scale when you see black borders or as indicated.

Please give the above a try if you have not already. Remember TV settings and the inclusion of DVD-VIDEO enhancement technology in some TV/DVD players can impact your playback.

There are alternatives to most of this, but I think that execution of the above can set a baseline from which to modify if necessary.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                                      Hungry100 Level 1
                                      1. Existing project is already at these settings
                                      2. a & b video seems to be fine as.  c.  I am not currently editing / scaling my videos, but fyi I do not see MotionPanel's Scale property.  I do see a window which lists the video's properties but doesn't allow edits.
                                      3. I created a new photo in in photoshop at 1024 x 782.  I was not clear on how to scale this down further in photoshop. It is a clear image in photoshop.  I imported this photo into PrE10 and put it at the end of my project.  When I view it allowing the program to move at it's own pace, it is blurry.  When I pause it in the photo it is much clearer. Is this normal?    I did not burn the project to DVD.  Do I need to burn a dvd to see see actual results? 
                                      • 16. Re: Blurry Jpgs when displaying after insertion into project
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hungry100

From the screenshot that you showed earlier, it looked like you were in NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/Standard.

Are you saying that you did indeed use NTSC DV Standard as I am suggesting, with the Scan Order taken care of by the application of Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance just to the video that should require it?

I am not sure why you are in Photoshop doing resizing. Let Premiere Elements resize your 4:3 photos in its Edit Mode Monitor space "automatically". Premiere Elements should be able to handle the job provided that you are not running into a dramatic scale up situation. In Photoshop, have you been working with Image Menu/Image Size to do your resizing?

And, before you do anything else, if all is as suggested, take your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc and see what that looks like on your DVD player. The ultimate judge of quality is in the playback and not the playback of the preview in the Edit Mode Monitor.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR