5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 11:22 PM by Rick Gerard

Grey bars

Herugrim123 Level 1

I have created a video using AE on Win 7, CS5 with a resolution of 1280 x 720 but the finished results ( played in WMP ) have 2 ugly grey bars: see attached. Why is that ?

Regards,

TL.

SG 008.JPG

• 1. Re: Grey bars
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could be anything. What are your render settings? How do you have your media player set up? What color was the comp background? How do other 720P videos play in your media player? We don't have enough info to help.

• 2. Re: Grey bars
            Herugrim123 Level 1

Rick, I appreciate what you're saying. I thought it might be something common that you'd recognise straight away. Here are my comp settings and render settingsSG 009.JPGSG 010.JPGSG 011.JPGSG 012.JPG

As you can see in the last pic, in QT, the grey bars are at the top and bottom rather than inside the top and bottom. Not sure what you mean by settings on WMP. i thought it defaulted to the aspect ratio/resolution of the largest it can display..Also, you can see i nthe first pic that Iam well inside my title safe areas...if you need more info, let me know.

Regards,

TL.

• 3. Re: Grey bars
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Your comp's Pixel aspect rario is incorrect.  For 1280x720, you should have a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0.  But you have 1.46.  You should change that, then make any adjustments necessary to your comp.

• 4. Re: Grey bars
                Herugrim123 Level 1

I don't profess to understand why but I changed the background colour from grey to black and everything looks fine now: i was pretty sure it wasn't the aspect ratio because I've used these settings for projects before without any problems and they appear fine on a PAL wide screen TV.

SG 013.JPG

• 5. Re: Grey bars
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dave is right about the pixel aspect ratio. The first clue is the word Custom in the Composition settings.  1280 X 720 is never anything but square pixels. That's what is letting your background show through. Unless you specifically know exactly what you are doing and you are doing something very custom, you should be using one of the Presets supplied by Adobe. Throwing a PAL Widescreen pixel aspect ratio into a Square PIxel composition is fouling up things. I can tell just by looking that your face is distorted.

I also see that you are rendering h.264 from the render cue. You will get much better results using the Adobe Media Encoder to render to this or any other highly compressed delivery format because that's the only way you can get Multi Pass encoding from Adobe. Multi Pass encoding of MPEG streams is necessary for highest quality delivery.