6 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 11:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Up Rez SD Material?

big sandy lake Level 1

A lot of recent questions seem to be dealing with HD material and down grading to SD but almost all of my footage is SD and of course my TV is HD.  I would love to see that old footage in HD rather than in one quarter of my screen. I know the aspec ratio would be different, I wouldn't mind the black bars. Is there any software out there that would do that without breaking the bank?

Tom

• 1. Re: Up Rez SD Material?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

I have you download and installed the free 30 day tryout for Premiere Elements 11 for your purposes?

Have you worked with any version of Premiere Elements earlier than version 11?

Do you have any video editor at the present time?

What is your computer operating system (32 or 64 bit)?

ATR

• 2. Re: Up Rez SD Material?
            big sandy lake Level 1

Sure, ATR. I own Premiere 11 and older versions and have done my share of editing but I am wondering if there is any stand alone or plug-in software that could uprez my original footage to HD, USA version ( 1920 x 1080 ) . Seems like thats a void waiting to be filled, if it hasn't already,

Tom

• 3. Re: Up Rez SD Material?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Uprezzing has its liabilities, of course, sandy. It won't be true high-def, for instance. It will just be bigger but kind of blurry standard definition.

You can't create pixels where none exist, after all.

• 4. Re: Up Rez SD Material?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Very true, and that should be a major consideration.

There are programs, like Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD, that many claim to do a great job at up-rezzing to HD. However, many feel that the output is NOT all that good. It might well depend on the material.

My preference would be to produce a DVD-Video, which will be SD, and then play that DVD on an up-rezzing BD player (some higher-end DVD players can also up-rez). The dedicated up-rezzing chips in the better ones are amazing. I have many DVD's, that I played on my old systems, that have found new life with my up-rezzing BD players. Even on a 60" 1080 HD TV, they look quite good, through my Marantz BD players. I am amazed. They are NOT equal to BD, but so very much better than on an older DVD player, even hooked up to a Mitsubishi 35" CRT TV.

Unless I had a true HD Project, into which I had to add SD material, I would not bother with up-rezzing software.

Just my opinions,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Up Rez SD Material?
                  big sandy lake Level 1

Hunt, That was an interesting response. My resonse is if they can do such an amazing job with uprezzing hardware whats so hard with processing  it through software for the same effect? I don't think the two are mutally exclusive are they?

Tom

• 6. Re: Up Rez SD Material?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The chips for up-rezzing are dedicated to perform just that processing. Those chips are not in any computer, and there is no way to use them to process digital material in the editing process. They only work with playback streams.

Good luck,

Hunt