10 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 9:50 PM by station_two

CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability

jcricketts

I came to adobe to upgrade CS5 to CS6 and it appears that it is no longer available - What the heck?  I used ADOBE PS since the ver. 4.1 and nearly all in between. I feel like I just got B slapped for no good reason.

Is there still an opportunity to upgrade???

• 1. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes there is. Go to this page https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_ creativesuite6.html?start=10

Scroll down to Photoshop.

Click "Buy"  Ignore the $699 for now.

Full version will be the default. Click on that,and select "Upgrade" and, then follow by selection what version you own, the platform and language.

The total will be $199, Proceed to checkout.

• 2. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability
            jcricketts Level 1

Thank you very much. It only took 5 hours of search and 2 minutes.

• 3. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability

Sometimes people need directions and I need practice in giving them. It's the User to User Way.

I started with the 4.01 LE that came with my scanner. Back then it qualified for a discount upgrade to the full version 5.

Anyway CS6 will be the last "permanent license" if the Creative Cloud stays put. CS7 (June 17th) will be subscription only.

Gene

• 4. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability
                Level 5

gener7 wrote:

…I started with the 4.01 LE that came with my scanner. Back then it qualified for a discount upgrade to the full version 5…

That rings a bell…

• 5. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability

Yep   My first scanner was a Microtek X6EL with a SCSI connecter.

SCSI was pronounced "scuzzy".  I kind of had a laugh with grammar police insisting "gif" be pronounced with a hard "g".

• 6. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability
                    Level 5

I still run two SCSI scanners: a film scanner and an Epson 836XL tabloid-format graphics scanner with focusing capabilities, which I couldn't possibly afford to replace with a modern equivalent. 

I also had a Microtek eons ago (can't remember the model number) and that's how I got the LE application for free too. 

- - -

OFF TOPIC:

That "grammar police" has a valid point, in my opinion.  Words in the English language that are pronounced with a soft g have that sound because those words came into the language by way of French or Late-Latin loanwords, such as giant, imagination, margin, general, gypsy, gentle, ledger, budget, generator, charge, urgent, etc.

Offhand I can come up with no such French or Late-Latin conduit for the use of  the term GIF

Otherwise the hard g phoneme derived from the Hebrew letter gimel through the Greek letter Γ (gamma) prevails.  To me it sounds perfectly natural in the pronunciation of GIF. 

• 7. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability

I take the "specialty jargon" approach. Basically the computing community settles on some term and pronunciation to expedite communication.  You can well argue "scuzzy" and "jif" are not proper pronunciation of SCSI and gif, but it's common usage and generally understood. It also works and there is little point to fixing it for general grammar guidelines.

• 8. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability
                        Level 5

gener7,

I guess it depends on your local usage.  Personally, I've never heard anybody in the flesh pronounce GIF with a soft g as "jif"—anywhere.

Computers and computing are so prevalent and ubiquitous these days that I don't think it makes sense to refer to a monolithic "computing community" in the general population.

Additionally, common sense tells me that the G in GIF stands for graphic, not  jraphic or giraffic

• 9. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability

When I got my first IBM sometime in 1986, I later added a Hercules graphics card. One of the earliest formats was gif and sometime later I purchased a program to display it called "CShow". The developers said it was pronounced "jif". But in any case if you and others are more comfortable with the hard "g", go with that. It's just tradition with me. It turns out both are established pronunciations.

"The creators of the format pronounced GIF with a soft "G" /ˈɪf/ as in "gin". An alternative pronunciation with a hard "G" /ˈɡɪf/ as in "graphics", reflecting the expanded acronym, is in widespread usage. Both pronunciations are acknowledged by the Oxford English Dictionary and the American Heritage Dictionary.

According to Steve Wilhite, the creator of the GIF format, the intended pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spoofing this brand's television commercials. As of 2013, Wilhite remains annoyed that there is debate over the pronunciation."

• 10. Re: CS5 To CS6 PS upgrade availability
                            Level 5

Hehehe…  as it turns out, I have no need for GIFs and don't deal with thatformat.  As long as one knows what it is, it makes no difference how they pronounce it.