3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 7:20 AM by DanaDeb

Diffusers

DanaDeb

Looking for tips in purchasing a diffuser.  Need lighting help in church settings where the ceilings are so high.

We do use a simple Omni Bounce on our speedlights but considering a Lightsphere maybe.  Any input?

Thanks

Deb

• 1. Re: Diffusers
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would head to a drafting supply shop, and look into rolls of Herculean. It can be mounted in various ways. I had several, that were stretched around 1 x 2 wooden frames.

Another source would be a theatrical supply store (or on-line) and look for Rosco products. They make many such items.

Though it has been many years now, I bought several rolls of a product called Diff-use, from a Chicago company, but cannot find their name, or address now - just too long ago.

Last, Calumet Photo has many kits with PVC pipes, and various diffusion materials, that attach to them. Mine have "legs" and the whole kit fits into a dufflebag.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Diffusers
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

What camera are you using Deb, and what is the planned use of the pictures?  If they are only for web use, then use high ISO, and carry on using your omni bounce.  There's no magic bullet where speedlite diffusers are concerned, and if anyone here paid good dollars for a Garry Thong diffuser, then I've got a nice bridge I can sell you.   This was taken last weekend with almost no help from the flash.  You could get a half decent print from it, and it is certainly OK for the web

Our club wining the Nelson Marlborough Interclub Challenge.

Reter Wise & Liz Davidson with NM Trophy (downsized).jpg

• 3. Re: Diffusers
              DanaDeb Level 1

We are using Nikon D7000's.  Can't go with the high ISO, as we do portraits, weddings, families etc. so we need to have high quality for prints.  Just started using Lightroom as our editing software.  Had issues with obtaining high resolution, but I think I have that figured out.

I played around last night using an old rubbing alcohol bottle slid over the flash. I shot a little in an unlit hallway.  It seemed to throw light further down the hall than the omni or just bouncing it off the ceiling. A little afraid we would make a bride nervous if we came with bottles attached to our cameras!

Maybe we'll try the lower end lightspheres.  Just need a little more boost inside churches and reception halls.

Thanks for you input.

Deb

www.dschaeferphotography.blogspot.com

You can also visit us on Facebook!

Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 04:04:56 -0700

To: dschaeferphotography@hotmail.com

Subject: Diffusers

Re: Diffusers

created by Trevor.Dennis in Photoshop General Discussion - View the full discussion

What camera are you using Deb, and what is the planned use of the pictures?  If they are only for web use, then use high ISO, and carry on using your omni bounce.  There's no magic bullet where speedlite diffusers are concerned, and if anyone here paid good dollars for a Garry Thong diffuser, then I've got a nice bridge I can sell you.     This was taken last weekend with almost no help from the flash.  You could get a half decent print from it, and it is certainly OK for the web

Our club wining the Nelson Marlborough Interclub Challenge.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-5364431-337438/450-364/ReterWise%26LizDavidsonwithNMTrophy%28downsized%29.jpg

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5364431#5364431

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5364431#5364431

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5364431#5364431. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop General Discussion by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.