4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 6:56 AM by A.T. Romano

Clip copies vs duplicates

tamzunc

I'm running PrE 9 in a PC, Win 7 64 bit, i7 chip, 8 GB RAM.  I want to make multiple coppies of a clip; when I select the clip and choose 'Copy', nothing happens when I paste.  When I duplicate, the copy seems to have lost some material.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

• 1. Re: Clip copies vs duplicates
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you describe the steps you're taking to copy/duplicate your video? Is your video on your timeline or in your media panel?

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "the copy seems to have lost some material. " ?  What "material" has been lost?

Why are you copying a clip? You can just use the same clip from the media panel several times.

• 2. Re: Clip copies vs duplicates
            tamzunc Level 1

Thanks Steve:   I find it very hard to find edited clips in the media panel, so I feel I have to reedit the same clip multiple lines.  Is there a way to put an edited clip back in the media panel?   I have been trying to duplicate or copy clips in the timeline.  When I copy the edited clip I have in the timeline, some of the frames are lost.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

• 3. Re: Clip copies vs duplicates
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you trim a clip in the Clip Preview Monitor (it opens when you double-click on a clip), you can drag it back to the media panel and it will be saved as a trimmed clip.

• 4. Re: Clip copies vs duplicates
                A.T. Romano Level 7

tamzunc

You wrote in justification of finding workaround

I find it very hard to find edited clips in the media panel, so I feel I have to reedit the same clip multiple lines.

I am not sure if I am interpreting your statement and reason correctly, but does not right clicking the edited clip on the Timeline and selecting Reveal in Project or Reveal in Media do what you seek to do?

As for your imported media, are you viewing Organize Header/Project or Organize Header/Media or trying both?

Is trimming of clip in the Preview Window SetIn SetOut from Organize Header/Project and dragging the segment to the Timeline involved in what you are doing? If so, you should be in Organize Header/Project to right click the file there to open the Preview Window. If you were to drag the segment to the Timeline for edit and also make a copy to become part of the media, I have never found the edits of the edited segment on the Timeline to be reflected in its copy that was made part of the project's media. See Organize Header/Project.

The only place that I have seen edits reflected in both Timeline view and in the Media area is when a Title is created in the Titler and edited in the Titler.

Also right now I do not see how

When I copy the edited clip I have in the timeline, some of the frames are lost.

Even if you were involved in video trimming, you can always drag out the segment on the Timeline to recover the whole video that you had before the trim. The frames are not lost, sort of tucked away.

Even if you had a video clip that was not derived from trimming, after edit of it on the Timeline, I am not seeing how you can get that video clip with all its edits as a file in Organize/Project unless you selectively export it to file and import the exported file.

If you and SG have in sync and have resolved your issue, please disregard the above.

ATR