6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2007 8:36 AM by catalinanastasoaie

Introductory Data Wizards (Updated for Beta 2)

cxf02 Level 1
      The actions in the demos for introductory data Wizards are out of snyc with FLEX 3, but even after poking my way through them, there are issues with the JEE deployment. I'll stick to discussing the TomCat deployment, but I tried it using Weblogic 9, Glassfish 9, JBoss 5.0 and TomCat 6.0. None will deploy. I can use the MyEclipse deployment module and deploy it as a web project, but the container connections between the FLEX generated swf and the java classes are not there. I can get into it and fix it manually, but that is not the intent of the wizard. The PHP works really well, but only with MySQL. I'd like to see more data source entries offered for that port, Oracle, Sybase, Postgres etc...

The issue with the JEE servers seems to be that a project cannot be added to the server. At least that is what the screen recording requires, but I get a dialog when I try to add a project. This is really powerfull stuff, and would make my demos come together overnight. However, I'll just have to make do for now. Is there any ETC on these features? Or am I doing something wrong?

I placed the screenshot of the issue on my company server for the community's perusal. http://procontent.net/flex/flex3Screenshots.html

Thanks,

Curtis
        • 1. Re: Introductory Data Wizards (Updated for Beta 2)
          catalinanastasoaie
          Hi

Can you please give us some details on how that project has been created? Was it a Java project on which you have added the Flex Nature capabilities or was it a Flex project with J2EE as a Server Type?

If the project was a simple Java project on which you have applied Flex Nature then the issue is actually the normal behavior. In order to deploy a project on tomcat, the project must be a Dynamic Web Project.

Try to create a new flex project selecting J2EE as a server type and then run it on the server. After that just use the Data Wizard to generate the application. This should work just fine and in the end you should be able to deploy the application generated by Data Wizards.

Thanks,
          Catalin
          • 2. Re: Introductory Data Wizards (Updated for Beta 2)
            cxf02 Level 1
            Okay, I finally got it to work and I will be posting a link to a video that shows how to do it. There is an issue with the Flex Server parameter in the project properties dialog. I'll have all these listed by the end of the weekend.

I was creating the projects correctly, but was unable to add them to the project list for each server. I created a video of this issue and was about to post it when I decided to give it one last try. I concentrated on making sure the server configuration was correct and suddenly I was able to add projects to the server configuration. After messing with adding the oracle drivers I was able to get the connections and create from the database, then run from within MyEclipse environment.

Thanks for answering Catalin. I will setup my old environment and see if the issue was due to not having any projects or if I can recreate it. This reminds me that sometmes in eclipse you can do many things the same way and have one set of outcomes, then suddenly, you start getting something different, and it keeps working that way (I'm refering to getting rid of the the watermarks for the advanced grid by entering the licence multiple times :>) )
            • 3. Re: Introductory Data Wizards (Updated for Beta 2)
              macromichael
              So, I have been making the J2EE data wizard work, and I have several recommendations on how this can be improved. First, Your Seperation on the Flex size was poorley concieved. I have seperated the Model, from the view from the controller. This is important, because if you do not want to use the default editor or view, your are stuck. I recommend that you create 4 default views for this process as well.
              1) a list view (you have this, but do it as it's own file)
              2) a editable list view

3) a editor view (see example ) like the create view, but also supports edit
              4) a display view (No edit)
              you could do a hybrid with an in line editor

I also created a modular version of the dataservice object, so that you don't have as much code duplication. I also working on the same modularization of the back end. I am attaching an example of how I have refactored the code.
              • 4. Introductory Data Wizards (Updated for Beta 2)
                macromichael Level 1
                So, I have been making the J2EE data wizard work, and I have several recommendations on how this can be improved. First, Your Seperation on the Flex side was not very good model view controller. The Model was seperate enought, but the view and controller were mixed, and as a result, it is difficult to impliment your own views. This is important, because if you do not want to use the default editor or view, your are stuck. I recommend that you create 4 default views for this process as well.
                1) list view (you have this, but do it as it's own file)
                2) list editor
                1 & 2 could be done together with a setable property.
                3) item view (No edit)
                4) item editor view (see example ) like the create view, but also supports edit
                3 & 4 could do a hybrid with an in line editor.

This covers most of the use cases, and perhaps the wizard could allow you to select which ones you want to generate.

I also created a modular version of the dataservice object, so that you don't have as much code duplication. I also working on the same modularization of the back end. I am attaching an example of how I have refactored the code.

Thinks
                Flex Ajax
                Michael
                Friendlytek
                • 5. Re: Introductory Data Wizards (Updated for Beta 2)
                  Level 7
                  So, I have been making the J2EE data wizard work, and I have several
                  recommendations on how this can be improved. First, Your Seperation on the
                  Flex size was poorley concieved. I have seperated the Model, from the view
                  from the controller. This is important, because if you do not want to use the
                  default editor or view, your are stuck. I recommend that you create 4 default
                  views for this process as well.
                  1) a list view (you have this, but do it as it's own file)
                  2) a editable list view

3) a editor view (see example ) like the create view, but also supports
                  edit
                  4) a display view (No edit)
                  you could do a hybrid with an in line editor

I also created a modular version of the dataservice object, so that you don't
                  have as much code duplication. I also working on the same modularization of
                  the back end. I am attaching an example of how I have refactored the code.

• 6. Re: Introductory Data Wizards (Updated for Beta 2)
                    catalinanastasoaie Level 1
                    Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. Could you please file an enhancement with them on our bug tracker which can be found at the following address: http://bugs.adobe.com/flex/ .

Thank you,
                    Catalin